Coach Warlick feels her team is very sensitive.. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coach Warlick feels her team is very sensitive..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Phil- TN blew it in the last 3 mins of the 1st half. technically, i meant the first 17 mins. at any rate, i saw a great team playing lady vol ball. looked promising. that is all i am saying. nothing more or less.

Reaction Score
Hi LadyVols9 -

yes, for the record, on Holly's tenure, I was including 2011-12 season, where she was the chosen one to run the team from start of season..... of the several LV games I saw that season.... I saw Holly as the person with the keys.... in charge.... no DeMoss no Dean, and no Pat..... she wasn't even in on TO huddles.... and I made the assumption... perhaps incorrectly... that she wasn't running practices either....

On the coaches ..... if Dean has been responsible for Izzy God Bless him.... 'cause he done good there..... she has been a bright light.

On all this, perhaps my view (as well as the view of many on The Summit) is too myopic.... I must tell you, you espouse confidence.... I hope all comes to fruition for you..... maybe what you say.... i.e. couple more years.... is the right recipe.....

Reaction Score
Hi LadyVols9 -

yes, for the record, on Holly's tenure, I was including 2011-12 season, where she was the chosen one to run the team from start of season..... of the several LV games I saw that season.... I saw Holly as the person with the keys.... in charge.... no DeMoss no Dean, and no Pat..... she wasn't even in on TO huddles.... and I made the assumption... perhaps incorrectly... that she wasn't running practices either....

On the coaches ..... if Dean has been responsible for Izzy God Bless him.... 'cause he done good there..... she has been a bright light.

On all this, perhaps my view (as well as the view of many on The Summit) is too myopic.... I must tell you, you espouse confidence.... I hope all comes to fruition for you..... maybe what you say.... i.e. couple more years.... is the right recipe.....

that 2011-12 season was pat's team. it was just awful to see the team hurt so badly on a daily basis. holly couldn't take the lead bc of respect for pat. she had not retired. it was a very odd set up and did not work but pat deserved to end her career the way she wanted and when she wanted. i do appreciate the nice conversation with you. it's good to see two fans from UCONN and TN converse in a reasonable way. headed off the computer. ya'll take care.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Phil- TN blew it in the last 3 mins of the 1st half. technically, i meant the first 17 mins. at any rate, i saw a great team playing lady vol ball. looked promising. that is all i am saying. nothing more or less.

So Tennessee only needs to muster up another 23 minutes of intensity and they'll be good to go.

We're talking about a game against the #2 team in the country, at home, and on ESPN's Big Monday. I have to think that should be enough to muster up a full 40 minutes of intensity. What more is needed?

Reaction Score
well we saw a TN team play a very good 1st half against ND. they basically dominated ND on both ends of the floor. if they can muster up that intensity for 40 minutes, i have faith in their ability to play with anyone. i agree it's about coaching. we will see how it pans out i guess. :D

What you saw was a Tennessee team that was absolutely unconscious shooting the ball for 1 half of basketball. There is ZERO chance that they will ever be able to consistently shoot the ball that well in the future. You have faith they can play with anybody? Are you joking? Tennessee played its absolute best and ND played below average and was only down 5 at the half.

Reaction Score
Yes - and in the last Geno show when they did the focus on coaching process one of his comments that stood out to me was that he had coached high school basketball which meant he had to teach really really bad players how to play - taking kids that couldn't shoot or pass or dribble or rebound and finding a way to make them somewhat productive on the court. That teaching aspect of his training he sees as an advantage he has over many other coaches who have only worked in the college ranks with kids that have passed a certain skill level.
Then came a Genoism: Kerith Burke asked him if the kids hated him for it (his methods). He responded, "Yes. But it's OK. I don't need any 19 year old friends."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Then came a Genoism: Kerith Burke asked him if the kids hated him for it (his methods). He responded, "Yes. But it's OK. I don't need any 19 year old friends."
Yeah - I loved that quote said with his usual grin and chuckle. I had posted it in another thread or might have posted it here as well.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I'm not disagreeing they looked good on the offensive end of the court. You originally said both ends, and I was challenging the notion that giving up 41 points in a half constituted good defense.

If you want to modify the time period to 17 minutes, when the LVs gave up 35, I still say the offense was effective, but giving up 35 points in 17 minutes does not qualify you in the top 300 for defense.

They played well at one end of the floor, not the other, that's all I'm saying, do you disagree?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
oh dear. check ur sources on that. you can get a UCONN or TN fan to say just about anything. holly is in her second year and just got an extension. she won SEC coach of the year. that's simply not the case.

I know she got a contract extension. I was reporting that some Vol fans are predicting that if this and next year are mediocre she will be pushed out. Others feel the AD will just leave her in place, puts no emphasis on WCBB and is focused on bringing Tenn football back to prominence.

Reaction Score
oh dear. check ur sources on that. you can get a UCONN or TN fan to say just about anything. holly is in her second year and just got an extension. she won SEC coach of the year. that's simply not the case.
Holly might be around for longer than anyone thinks. The names Vol fans are coming up with as acceptable replacements are Mitchell, Walz, McGraw, Caldwell, Stringer. The thought seems to be that anyone offered the job would jump at it. I'm not so sure that would be the case. These coaches have a pretty good thing going right where they are. So, Tennessee might be faced with choosing a lesser coach or sticking with what they have.

Of course, Tyler Summitt has been mentioned as having the genes to be successful, but it should be remembered that there are two individuals swimming in that gene pool.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
When discussing the Vols nowadays, there seems to be this tendency among the board analysts to break the efforts down into 30-minute segments, or a half, or 17-minute pieces, or a shorter chunk to praise.

You know, I was just thinking about the UConn game against Memphis, and how they played this fantastic minute in the second half from the 14:00 to the 13:00 mark where they outscored the Tigers 5-0 and seemed like the best team in the country, but then the Huskies followed it up with a dreadful 56 seconds in which they were obliterated by a 4-0 score and seemed like the worst team ever, and if they had not been able to right themselves in the periods before and after they would have lost 170-0. Even Chicago State does a little better than that.

Since when has segmentation of achievement become acceptable? 30 minutes of effort is good? 17 minutes of domination proves something? If a baseball team shuts out the opponent for 8 innings and then gives up a grand slam to give away the game in the 9th, is that nothing but a disaster? If a dam holds firmly for a couple years and then cracks open and floods a town, is that not a cataclysm? If you ignore the changes happening in a sport or one game and don't make adjustments, is that not a big losing situation?

It is a sad time down by UTenn when the small victories of a few minutes of good play are talked up at the expense of a game or program's performance. The adage, "It's all or nothing" really should apply there, and unless you can go all the way, you're left at third base and in the second rank.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of the above post and you can see now, Tenn players do not get any better from year to year. Name me the last Tenn player outside of Parker that have been developed by the Tenn coaching staff? Teams that recruit the best talent are teams that are short on depth and talent...........Nobody questions they have had some very talented players with poor coaching....After the Sweater Al left TENN, the team went down hill.........Put Jen Rizzotti at Tenn and they would become a Super Power in 2 years............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom