Coach of the Billikens | The Boneyard

Coach of the Billikens

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They also play Mizzou (#23) on Sunday. Will be interesting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She is impressive. Her team may lose by 50 points, but I suspect they will compete to the end. I hope the coverage will include an interview with Phee's family. I'm certainly impressed with Phee's dad and from an article yesterday we learned that it was he who taugh her from a young age to maintain her composure on the floor.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If SNY were carrying this game they would have the pregame/postgame shows and certainly would have done a lengthy piece on her family. CBSSports...I fear just a mention and nothing more.

Reaction Score
I agree w/blakeon18....with CBSSports carrying the game, I don't expect much peripheral coverage other that CW's coming out party @ ND on Sunday....

Reaction Score
Thank goodness we're back to what we love about the Huskies.
A great player and an even greater person having her number retired in front of her teammates and UCONN bringing the big show into town for the local BB fans.
Love the attitude of the Billikens coach. Go Billikens. Go Huskies!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Too bad I cannot access CBSSport....
You could sign up for CBS AllAccess and then drop your subscription. Check first to be sure though.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just signed in CBS All Access. Not bad for $5.99/ month. Thanks...
Hope it works out well for you. Go Huskies!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

First of all, a BIG thank you to Billiken head coach Lisa Stone and her program for accepting UConn's request to come to their campus arena to play a "homecoming" game for our All-American senior Napheesa Collier. Not all coaches (Quentin Hillsman-Syracuse/Stewie) are as gracious and accommodating.

This will be more of an "exhibition" game (even though it will count in the standings) as St. Louis comes in at 4-4, including a 10 point loss to 4-5 Chattanooga. The Billikens are no match for UConn. UConn will be the first top 25 team they play this year. As coach Stone said in her video, it's not about thinking they can beat UConn, but more about doing the basics, and measuring themselves against the #1 team in the country, and learning from the experience. Not many mid-major programs get the opportunity to host the #1 team in the country without agreeing to a home-and-home series.

1543950734752.png

Coach Stone told her players to watch the UConn/Notre Dame basketball game Sunday. As her team watched Connecticut beat Notre Dame, the Billikens also were witnessing the Huskies’ replace Notre Dame as the number one team in the country. Although UConn has lost in the national semifinals the last two years, the Huskies remain the gold standard of women’s basketball, as was proved with an emphatic win over the previously top-ranked and undefeated Fighting Irish.

The Billikens will get an up close and personal look tonight when the Huskies take the floor for a 7 p.m. (est) tip-off.

“Whatever they’re ranked, they’re still the same program,” SLU guard Kerri McMahan said. “You can see the way they play and dismantle their opponents, they play with a sense of discipline, structure and togetherness you don’t see every day.”

"This time the gauge of success isn't about the score, but what the Billikens can learn from the experience.
“We are going to do everything in our power to play as hard as we can for as long as we can against the best team in the country,”
she said. “We’re also going to witness a team that is the best of the best in championship behavior. When they walk in, there are no headphones, no social media, no messing around.”

SLU will counter UConn with a lineup that is young after losing six seniors from last season. McMahan and Jordyn Frantz are the lone seniors, although five freshmen have seen considerable playing time.

In addition to all of the free press her program received the last few days, her team gets to host the #1 team in the country, and do it on live "national television"!! :)

Tip in - This is one of the best road trips UConn has had in some time. They beat ND on the road, and will return home as the top ranked program in WCBB, they get to visit Collier's home town and witness her high school retire her jersey number 24. I wonder if they ever got that steak dinner one of the posters suggested Geno buy them? :eek:

They get to participate in a homecoming game for a teammate in front of her family, friends and former HS teammates, many of whom have never seen her play in person since she left for UConn. This is the first time Collier has played at Chaifetz Arena. She said she's very excited, and really looking forward to tonight's game. So are we Napheesa. :D

The game will be broadcast live on the CBS Sports Network and the UConn/IMG Radio Network.

UConn will go on many more road trips this year, but I doubt if any will be as fruitful or enjoyable as THIS one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
@Scoop nice reporting as always. Interesting to see they have already played two other AAC teams (Cincy & Tulsa) closely. Do they know they aren’t eligible to be in our conference tournament?? :D

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They don't give us that much information on the women's program here in St. Louis. There is no WCBB message board in St. Louis; not enough interest.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Stone: “We’re also going to witness a team that is the best of the best in championship behavior. When they walk in, there are no headphones, no social media, no messing around.” ...

“I’ve got to get the team to not be intimidated,” she said. “You have to go out and play. If you go in scared, it’s over. If there’s anything I know about UConn, it’s that when they see you’re tired or scared, it’s like they smell blood.”

Reaction Score
CBS is a mess.
THey have CBS.com, CBSSports.com and CBSSportsNetwork.com.
I really don't know what are the differences. My Google Chrome shows this error:

Screenshot (5).png

Reaction Score
Kaizen - It looks like UConn’s game with Houston on January 6 is also carried exclusively by CBSSN. Enjoy!

I’ve had CBSSN for a while and have used it several times.

Reaction Score
You want CBS Sports Network, most commonly seen as CBSSN on a channel line-up. Good luck. I know it’s not easy surfing around in the soup of TV listings and the internet.

Reaction Score
You want CBS Sports Network, most commonly seen as CBSSN on a channel line-up. Good luck. I know it’s not easy surfing around in the soup of TV listings and the internet.
Can you provide the direct link to play the CBSSN of UConn game? Thanks ...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Attendance is supposed to be 5,000+, when the Bilikens usually average around 500.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They don't give us that much information on the women's program here in St. Louis. There is no WCBB message board in St. Louis; not enough interest.

Are you going to the game Donald?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom