Coach Mulkey criticizes ESPN, and talks UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coach Mulkey criticizes ESPN, and talks UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The UCONN/FSU game was televised probably because of national TV ratings. UCONN is a better brand to showcase than Baylor or UCLA. JMO

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The UCONN/FSU game was televised probably because of national TV ratings. UCONN is a better brand to showcase than Baylor or UCLA. JMO
It was also specifically scheduled (as was the TX/Stanford game) to coincide with the ESPN college basketball kick-off - the tip times for both of those games were at odd hours on Monday so they could start their 48 hour extravaganza with two quality WCBB games one at 6PM on the east coast and the other at 5 PM on the west coast. The fact that they led off their college basketball coverage with two women's games should be seen as a positive. They were both top 15 ranked teams squaring off. That the Baylor/UCLA and SC/Ohio State games were overlapping both games meant they could also give some live updates from those two games during breaks/half time.
Who knows what went into that scheduling, but it is possible that they contacted the other teams about having strange start times for their games and could not get agreement from the four teams involved or from the venues in terms of schedules. They did end up with two good and meaningful games. And yes Uconn especially with a 75 win streak on the line was probably the most marketable game of the four.

As for todays game - ESPN doesn't produce their own WCBB programming that frequently that they were likely to devote two days in the first week of the season to games. Thursday night is a football night for them. And the scheduling for two colleges seasons and a network is not a simple thing - other possible broadcast dates for ESPN may have confli8cted with commitments either Baylor or Uconn already had in place.

Finally - the fact that ESPN had the option of four marque WCBB games on the first Monday of the season is a great change in WCBB scheduling across the country - through the end of this week there will have been 8 games played between ranked teams, and a number of additional games between ranked and high quality unranked teams in the first week of the season. That is a step up by programs across the country.

Reaction Score
Of course you won't have a problem with that because you have become accustomed to losing.

I've always been a fan of Tennesse women's basketball, but now I am starting to get a true sense of why UCONN fans have such disdain for Tennessee. I'm not here to argue with a UT fan.
aren't you getting just a tad worked up? lol i just said mulkey ducked playing top teams after griner left, which is true. i'm not here to argue either. good luck tonight.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Jealousy is an ugly thing. If I were you, I would be worried about your coach, who probably won't last more than another season or two, unless Tennessee is OK with having double digit losses each season.
come on ETT you know its the truth... you just dont like that a LV is mentioning it

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
aren't you getting just a tad worked up? lol i just said mulkey ducked playing top teams after griner left, which is true. i'm not here to argue either. good luck tonight.
they didnt have enough of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS