Coach Mulkey criticizes ESPN, and talks UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach Mulkey criticizes ESPN, and talks UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly as I've said from the start. Most teams are going to pound UConn inside on offense and pack the paint on defense. But watching this first game it's apparent to me that this team is smart enough to adjust quickly. We'll see how the season goes. About Baylor this week on ESPN? Hell yeah. An egregious and apparently intentional error. Here and on this, Ms. Mulkey, preach on. And her comments about The UConn are obvious, correct and appreciated.

Y'know, Jordy, there's no reason that UConn can't choose to go big. If Geno started Butler (6'5), Irwin (6'2), Collier (6'1), Lou (6'3), and probably Nurse to run the point, the team would be tall enough. Against FSU, Coach must have believed that he could run the 'Noles into the ground. Fact is, the Huskies did NOT "adjust quickly" at all. They rarely visited the area under the basket during the entire game. Passes to the interior were disrupted by FSU and resulted in (yipes!) 17 turnovers. Collier scored largely on put-backs of missed shots. Gabby effectively took herself out of the game, and how she'll fare against the Big Bad Bears is
questionable. Geno typically likes to use a core of players in every game, especially late in the season. But there's no reason not to experiment at this point IMHO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I took this quote a little differently...

I do not think she was intentionally praising CT. I think she really really believes her team has a big shot at a win and by calling CT "the champs" and "the ones to beat" and all that jazz she is just setting herself up to look great if Baylor pulls off the win.

I like Kim AS A COACH but I have to say she really is a lot of bling and hot breath. I mean just look at her jackets:p

How disrespectful of her to call them "the champs" and "the ones to beat."

Reaction Score
I do not follow Baylor as closely as I do 4 or 5 of the other top teams, so I may be wrong..... but if I am right in my knowledge that Kim has been ducking UConn in the Stewart years.... and now, all of a sudden, she is a marketing purist and upset that Baylor did not get fair billing?

Just from the standpoint that if you scratch my back (avoid ducking teams you think you will lose to), I will scratch yours (ya we will put your games on liberally)..... it makes sense to me.... although i am sure this is not the reason Baylor was not on last night.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
How disrespectful of her to call them "the champs" and "the ones to beat."

Disrespect? no absolutely not. I think maybe I didn't express my opinion the best way. I think she was just hyping it all up. she wants to be on record having beaten "the best of the best" and so on. I do think there is mutual respect between the two programs but Kim is a showgirl (I don't mean the Vegas type) she wants a big show for her bears to upset the huskies. Idk just how I took those comments she made

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I do not follow Baylor as closely as I do 4 or 5 of the other top teams, so I may be wrong..... but if I am right in my knowledge that Kim has been ducking UConn in the Stewart years.... and now, all of a sudden, she is a marketing purist and upset that Baylor did not get fair billing?

Just from the standpoint that if you scratch my back (avoid ducking teams you think you will lose to), I will scratch yours (ya we will put your games on liberally)..... it makes sense to me.... although i am sure this is not the reason Baylor was not on last night.

Since when is it ESPN's responsibility to punish Kim for not playing UCONN? THEY have a responsibility to put games on the air when the top teams are playing. She also mentioned the OSU vs. SC game not being on ESPN, not just Baylor. So we had #2/4 playing #9 and #4 playing #7 and neither game is on any of the ESPN networks? Come on, ESPN, you can do better.

Who else should Baylor be punished for not playing? Or is it just UCONN?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think the criticism of ESPN is out of line - this is a network that has carried the load for WCBB and done a pretty good job with it. They are struggling financially and producing their own broadcasts is expensive, but they have created a high quality streaming platform and are harnessing their connections and contracts to provide a ton of WCBB games nationally using other companies productions in a very cost effective way. And the reason that a lot of those other companies are producing this product is because of the market that ESPN helped to create for the sport.

So the Baylor Uconn game is available nationally on SNY (with really high quality production values), a network that is included in most extended sports packages, and for those who do not buy the extended sports package and live outside of the tri-state area it is available to most cable network subscribers on a high quality streaming package. That combination covers a huge swath of the US and pretty much everyone that has access to ESPN broadcast channels.

Baylor prof - you should be able to either access the streaming yourself or find a friend or sports bar that has access if you want to watch rather than listen.

Yesterday ESPN broadcast two high quality women's games between four ranked teams as the lead-off to their college season. On Thursday night they are providing streaming access to 13 WCBB games, tomorrow they are providing access to 21 games, today 6 games, and yesterday they provided access to 13 games live that you can access in replay today. That is impressive - yeah there are more men's games available, but this is light years ahead of where we were just a few years ago.

ESPN is an easy whipping boy for all sorts of reasons and they deserve some of that - but they are leading the way for WCBB and have been since the 1990s. They have provided a lot of the impetus for better quality OOC games, being instrumental in nudging teams that might have been reluctant otherwise.

(And Kim herself turned down games ESPN was keen to sponsor because she didn't like the idea of playing quality OOC in the middle of her conference schedule. That is her prerogative, but then the complaints ring a little hollow.)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If Baylor uses its height "advantage" as poorly as their cousins from Austin did versus Stanford, I'd think the Huskies will be in good shape. Bad shot selection, errant passes, sloppy or non-extant defense, and uninspired rebounding can make a team play a lot shorter than they are listed to be in the program.

Texas looked like the same team that took that massive tourney beatdown from UConn in 2014. Baylor needs to show up better, much better, than Texas did. And I suspect they just might.

Reaction Score
Y'know, Jordy, there's no reason that UConn can't choose to go big. If Geno started Butler (6'5), Irwin (6'2), Collier (6'1), Lou (6'3), and probably Nurse to run the point, the team would be tall enough. Against FSU, Coach must have believed that he could run the 'Noles into the ground. Fact is, the Huskies did NOT "adjust quickly" at all. They rarely visited the area under the basket during the entire game. Passes to the interior were disrupted by FSU and resulted in (yipes!) 17 turnovers. Collier scored largely on put-backs of missed shots. Gabby effectively took herself out of the game, and how she'll fare against the Big Bad Bears is
questionable. Geno typically likes to use a core of players in every game, especially late in the season. But there's no reason not to experiment at this point IMHO.
Agreed. Outside of Williams who was floating the perimeter when she was in the game left UConn with nobody but Collier that knows how to post up and seal a defender.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Disrespect? no absolutely not. I think maybe I didn't express my opinion the best way. I think she was just hyping it all up. she wants to be on record having beaten "the best of the best" and so on. I do think there is mutual respect between the two programs but Kim is a showgirl (I don't mean the Vegas type) she wants a big show for her bears to upset the huskies. Idk just how I took those comments she made

Knowing Mulkey, I think it was truly out of respect. She is a competitor and is very good at giving credit to other teams where it is due. Notice she said "and will be the champions until someone knocks 'em off." I think she meant that UCONN is the best team until another program proves that they can beat UCONN when it counts. And isn't that what everyone on the board has always said?

What is she supposed to say? "UCONN lost the big three so they don't worry me too much"? She gave the answer that every coach should give, which is to say that UCONN has the type of program where players get better and better every time they get on the court.

I think she has some valid points but I also see the point of posters who say that ESPN is not looking at Baylor more because Baylor has not provided much incentive to have been on national TV the last couple of years. I hope Baylor and UCONN get to play again next year in Waco and I hope the game will get national exposure.

I suspect that getting out of the Elite Eight would help grow Baylor basketball more that more nationally televised games will.

Reaction Score
Huskies out scored them by at least 10 in the paint. Also Irwin didnt play for a reason and I dont think it was an injury. Collier has that nice fade away turn around jumper with a soft touch. NB plays soft but she played a decent game last night. She needs a mean streak in her because a talented big will eat her up.

Reaction Score
Knowing Mulkey, I think it was truly out of respect. She is a competitor and is very good at giving credit to other teams where it is due. Notice she said "and will be the champions until someone knocks 'em off." I think she meant that UCONN is the best team until another program proves that they can beat UCONN when it counts. And isn't that what everyone on the board has always said?

What is she supposed to say? "UCONN lost the big three so they don't worry me too much"? She gave the answer that every coach should give, which is to say that UCONN has the type of program where players get better and better every time they get on the court.

I think she has some valid points but I also see the point of posters who say that ESPN is not looking at Baylor more because Baylor has not provided much incentive to have been on national TV the last couple of years. Hopefully Baylor and UCONN get to play again next year in Waco and hopefully that game will get national exposure.

I suspect that getting out of the Elite Eight would help grow Baylor basketball more that more nationally televised games will.
ETT, IMO it was a great interview with everything

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe if Kim had scheduled a few more competitive opponents in the last few years, and given ESPN something worthwhile to put on the air they wouldn't have forgotten Baylor this year.

Very valid point. I agree that Kim is partly responsible for this situation she is complaining about. And as a Baylor fan it has been very frustrating not getting to see this team play more quality opponents until this season. I'm really hoping that we get a match-up with Ohio State next month in the Florida tourney. Playing Texas at Texas and Tennessee in Knoxville will be valuable experience for the team.

Reaction Score
ESPN is a business after all. Perhaps they show things based on what is going to get them the biggest bang for the buck? That's what I would do if I were running a business. Or, maybe ESPN just doesn't like Baylor? They did go pretty hard on the school during College Game Day last weekend.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very valid point. I agree that Kim is partly responsible for this situation she is complaining about. And as a Baylor fan it has been very frustrating not getting to see this team play more quality opponents until this season. I'm really hoping that we get a match-up with Ohio State next month in the Florida tourney. Playing Texas at Texas and Tennessee in Knoxville will be valuable experience for the team.
She really did cut down on the quality of the OOC when Sims graduated and I have seen a number of laments over on the Baylor board about some of the 'dreadful' home competition. But she has really started to kick the quality up several notches starting I think two years ago. It was unfortunate that the Big12 as a whole seems to go through a drop in quality at the same time she had cut the OOC - with the resurgence at TX it appears both OOC and conference are going to be really good.

The other issue with Baylor getting the national exposure is most of the national broadcasters like to have quality games in Jan and Feb and she has been reluctant to schedule a big OOC game during the conference schedule. I remember I think twice with the Uconn/Baylor games ESPN or CBS wanted to schedule it as their big mid-winter game and she wasn't interested.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I think she has some valid points but I also see the point of posters who say that ESPN is not looking at Baylor more because Baylor has not provided much incentive to have been on national TV the last couple of years. I hope Baylor and UCONN get to play again next year in Waco and I hope the game will get national exposure.

Yup - I think the respect is serious and the interview was very complementary with no 'ulterior motive' - and I think Geno returns the respect as well. Kim is one of the good-uns. :)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I understand Mulkey's point, but she's also misinformed when it comes to SC vs. OSU. I can't speak for Baylor vs. UCLA... not sure why ESPN didn't at least pick that game up for ESPN3..

ESPN didn't have the rights to broadcast the SC v. OSU game. The only way they could've was if the Big Ten Network surrendered their Tier 1 rights to ESPN allowing them to broadcast that game..... and why would they do that when they could potentially make money off of that game... the Big Ten Network had Tier 1 rights because that game was being played at Ohio State. The SEC Network (ESPN) would've had those rights (and they did, last year) if the game were being played at South Carolina.

So the Big Ten Network played it smart.... they didn't even make the game available for broadcast.. instead, they offered the game to be livestreamed digitally through their premium streaming channel, knowing that most SC fans don't have the Big Ten Network (why would they?) and in order for them to watch their beloved WBB team they would have to purchase either a $9.95 or $14.95 monthly pass just for that one game. Really smart by them.

So this really isn't ESPN's fault at all. Blame every athletic conference in America having a TV Network and dissecting the market a thousand times over. Again, Mulkey's frustrations are valid... ESPN does play favorites at time.. but in this case, her anger is misguided.

For a further example of this... last year's SC v. OSU game was broadcasted via the SECN+ digital channel... but even if you had ESPN you could watch via ESPN3/WatchESPN.... that's because the SECNetwork is 50% owned by ESPN.. meaning they had Tier 1 rights to offer that game to all of their customers.

And as far as I am aware.. ESPN did pick up the Baylor vs. UCONN game... ESPN has a partnership with SNY to broadcast UCONN games on ESPN3 in areas that don't have SNY.. so maybe she's mad that the game won't be on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU... but the game will be on a ESPN service.. ESPN3 to be exact.

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Exactly as I've said from the start. Most teams are going to pound UConn inside on offense and pack the paint on defense. But watching this first game it's apparent to me that this team is smart enough to adjust quickly. We'll see how the season goes. About Baylor this week on ESPN? Hell yeah. An egregious and apparently intentional error. Here and on this, Ms. Mulkey, preach on. And her comments about The UConn are obvious, correct and appreciated.
At least 50% of rebounding is: Position+boxing out. Uconn did not do this so well(especially in the first half) at FS.

Reaction Score
Since when is it ESPN's responsibility to punish Kim for not playing UCONN? THEY have a responsibility to put games on the air when the top teams are playing. She also mentioned the OSU vs. SC game not being on ESPN, not just Baylor. So we had #2/4 playing #9 and #4 playing #7 and neither game is on any of the ESPN networks? Come on, ESPN, you can do better.

Who else should Baylor be punished for not playing? Or is it just UCONN?

Ya said i do not know Baylor's total situation and thus argument may be out of line and i know not comparing apples to apples....

Just the same.... I will hold true to suggestion that Kim could have cued up a game or 2 in past 4 years for ESPN.... I knew she did not want to schedule UConn... do not know about other programs.... would like to see her want to schedule an ESPN worthy game.... not just "cover me when I have got a really good team"....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ESPN is a business after all. Perhaps they show things based on what is going to get them the biggest bang for the buck? That's what I would do if I were running a business. Or, maybe ESPN just doesn't like Baylor? They did go pretty hard on the school during College Game Day last weekend.

Most Baylor fans believe that ESPN is absolutely anti-Baylor. And I think Kim wants to get the women's basketball team, which is the shining star in the athletic department, on display to bring some positive attention to Baylor, which she kind of said in her presser.

A couple of seasons with quality opponents will change the perception of weak scheduling and world order will be restored.

Now, having said that, I want to say that any Baylor fan I have ever talked to respects what Geno does with the program. As was pointed out by the standing O Geno got the last time that he walked into the arena, Baylor fans respect UCONN and Geno immensely.

Reaction Score
Most Baylor fans believe that ESPN is absolutely anti-Baylor. And I think Kim wants to get the women's basketball team, which is the shining star in the athletic department, on display to bring some positive attention to Baylor, which she kind of said in her presser.

A couple of seasons with quality opponents will change the perception of weak scheduling and world order will be restored.

Now, having said that, I want to say that any Baylor fan I have ever talked to respects what Geno does with the program. As was pointed out by the standing O Geno got the last time that he walked into the arena, Baylor fans respect UCONN and Geno immensely.
Yeah I got that feeling from what she said too, and the way ESPN was talking about Baylor last weekend immediately came to mind and probably everyone at Baylor has by now heard the commentary.

Reaction Score

1--- I hope that isn't the lineup you mentioned. I hope our outside shooting can force them to play more of our game. We are playing at home.

2-- No way are you correct about Collier. No way. She had one offensive rebound. Collier scored in variety of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom