Coach Mulkey criticizes ESPN, and talks UConn | The Boneyard

Coach Mulkey criticizes ESPN, and talks UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree…she is right…they should have had an ESPN slot…

She hasn’t seen any UCONN films yet?...I bet she is watching them now.

IMO…they are going to pound us at the post…I’m sure we will see more of Nat…she may not stop everything, but she will slow them down a bit.

Thx for sharing Plebe

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Actually, I strongly recommend rewinding the embedded video to the 7:45 mark. Lots of interesting comments from Kim. (Including a subtle dig at Texas.)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree…she is right…they should have had an ESPN slot…

She hasn’t seen any UCONN films yet?...I bet she is watching them now.

IMO…they are going to pound us at the post…I’m sure we will see more of Nat…she may not stop everything, but she will slow them down a bit.

Thx for sharing Plebe
Exactly as I've said from the start. Most teams are going to pound UConn inside on offense and pack the paint on defense. But watching this first game it's apparent to me that this team is smart enough to adjust quickly. We'll see how the season goes. About Baylor this week on ESPN? Hell yeah. An egregious and apparently intentional error. Here and on this, Ms. Mulkey, preach on. And her comments about The UConn are obvious, correct and appreciated.

Reaction Score
Hello from Waco to my favorite website fanbase.

It's been too long. I think until we hit the exhibition floor last week I was still in denial that we had exited last year's tourney at the Elite 8 level . . . again.

Best wishes for a great early matchup Thursday

this old BUprof is limited in how much travel is healthy. I had targeted a trip to Storrs all summer (I enjoyed being in Hartford back when we first had a home and home 6 ??? years ago), but have never been to Storrs. I can't believe I'm not on the plane headed your way this week.

See you online later, but I'll only have a radio view of what the game Thursday actually looks like.

HGN

Reaction Score
Regardless as to what she says.........She is trying to get her team in the right frame of mind for this game. She knows what is at stake and she knows that for the first time in a few years UCONN is not what it has been. And this is the first , and maybe the only year , she will have a legitimate chance to beat the Huskies. This opportunity may not present itself again for 5 years.........And she knows it.

All I want to see during the game is just one jacket fling.......Just one. And I will know we got'em.

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Oh yeah...let's not forget her refusal to play UConn when the big 3 were around. It wasn't UConn dominance that was bad for the game, but the fact that some teams ducked UConn and therefore a marquee match-up that was bad for the game. That it is Baylor which very possibly will end UConn's win streak and on the UConn home court is a bitter pill. No glory for her for this, IMO. The consolation is that it will take pressure off of UConn and the players will accelerate their improvement, and will be better off, whatever happens in March, and just look out the following years....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I completely agree with her. I have said for years now that no way a men's game would have ranked teams colliding and NOT televise it. It was a 24hour tip off marathon. They could have figured something out. Those were all top 10 teams! If you want to grow the woman's game--televise it a bit more. Especially in the early season. ESPN get some better after the holidays but they sure do skip out in the early season.

Reaction Score
Yo,Bags,i have been thinking about the fact that a team avoided Uconn for several years when Uconn was vastly superior to them is given a chance to even play us in a down year and end a near record winning streak.If i was Geno i wouldn't have scheduled them or Stanford for a few years or until we had the upper hand again.There are plenty of other good teams to play to challenge this team if that was Geno's intent.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah...let's not forget her refusal to play UConn when the big 3 were around. It wasn't UConn dominance that was bad for the game, but the fact that some teams ducked UConn and therefore a marquee match-up that was bad for the game. That it is Baylor which very possibly will end UConn's win streak and on the UConn home court is a bitter pill. No glory for her for this, IMO. The consolation is that it will take pressure off of UConn and the players will accelerate their improvement, and will be better off, whatever happens in March, and just look out the following years....

Good posting--I under stand what you say--and it's valid. I don't take a dim view of most Div 1 WBB coaches--and not Kim--I appreciate your assessments to what a loss to Baylor may lead UC to achieve.
There are dozens of reason, for her team, for her to have scheduled UCONN--obviously she had her reasons the most prominent being losses to the Golden 3. Mulkey does not take losses well.
So why should she select to play Uconn this year// Obvious! Why would Geno elect to schedule all these top 10 teams early in the season// you know Bags
Losses will be hard on uC fans--but much harder on the team--but create object lessons for practices. Equally tough on young ego's

Reaction Score

A blind man could see that coming. Where is uconn the weakest--what weakness has Geno spoken about/?? What is the Baylor strength/??

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yo,Bags,i have been thinking about the fact that a team avoided Uconn for several years when Uconn was vastly superior to them is given a chance to even play us in a down year and end a near record winning streak.If i was Geno i wouldn't have scheduled them or Stanford for a few years or until we had the upper hand again.There are plenty of other good teams to play to challenge this team if that was Geno's intent.

That's why you are posting on a message board and Geno is chasing his 200th championship.

Reaction Score
I completely agree with her. I have said for years now that no way a men's game would have ranked teams colliding and NOT televise it. It was a 24hour tip off marathon. They could have figured something out. Those were all top 10 teams! If you want to grow the woman's game--televise it a bit more. Especially in the early season. ESPN get some better after the holidays but they sure do skip out in the early season.

Not to argue--but this argumentative--I've moaned for years about the lack of "spreading the news" about Women's College Basketball. In each college town, with a very good team, I talk them up loudly mostly to young women. Few have any idea of what I speak. Columbia SC last year--not one woman I spoke to knew USC had a top team or any Wbb team.
ESPN's object is to make money--if a WCBB team makes money for them--I hardly think they'd exclude them.
Women--young women--need to broadcast the news. Us old male 's don't make a dent.

To make any womens sports catch on with the public--apparently it must start in the grass roots.
How do you propose to fix it/?

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused...

I sat down last night to watch 2 games on ESPN. I watched the UCONN/FSU game and then I caught the BAYLOR/UCLA game. both were on TV. both were on ESPN.

So why would ESPN feature the same two teams twice in the same week? would that be favoritism? I know ESPN stays far away from favorites, especially toward UCONN seeing we reside in the same state. doesn't want to show bias.

IMO having a "kickoff" or whatever it's being called to start the season with 2 games and two fantastic and uberpopular teams (UCONN and BAYLOR) seems a much better "TV spot" than trying to compete with one game on a Thursday. IDK I can't seem to find a reason why it's so bad the UCONN and BAYLOR game will only be on ESPN 3 this thursday....

What is everyone thinkin?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused...

I sat down last night to watch 2 games on ESPN. I watched the UCONN/FSU game and then I caught the BAYLOR/UCLA game. both were on TV. both were on ESPN.

So why would ESPN feature the same two teams twice in the same week? would that be favoritism? I know ESPN stays far away from favorites, especially toward UCONN seeing we reside in the same state. doesn't want to show bias.

IMO having a "kickoff" or whatever it's being called to start the season with 2 games and two fantastic and uberpopular teams (UCONN and BAYLOR) seems a much better "TV spot" than trying to compete with one game on a Thursday. IDK I can't seem to find a reason why it's so bad the UCONN and BAYLOR game will only be on ESPN 3 this thursday....

I believe the Baylor-UCLA game was on Fox Prime Ticket, not ESPN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
"Until somebody beats them their the champs"..always did like Coach Mulkey. :)

I think Mulkey was very complimentary of the UCONN program and the players that will be on the court. Mulkey, like the rest of the folks from Baylor, has the utmost respect for UCONN and what you have built. But I do agree that it is sad that these top 10 matchups are not being picked up by ESPN. ESPN is very political and is very "selective" in which teams they choose to put on the air.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused...

Wait a minute. You watched Baylor vs UCLA on ESPN? Maybe I am missing it, as did all of Baylor's fans, but to my knowledge they were not on ESPN. Heck, I had to watch the game from the link on the Baylor home page because Comcast was not even showing it live.

This game was on SNY and maybe in your region one equals the other, but it was not on ESPN for those of us down south.

CBear01

Reaction Score
I believe the Baylor-UCLA game was on Fox Prime Ticket, not ESPN.

Wait a minute. You watched Baylor vs UCLA on ESPN? Maybe I am missing it, as did all of Baylor fans, but to my knowledge they were not on ESPN. Heck, I had to watch the game from the link on the Baylor home page because Comcast was not even showing it live.

My bad, I just assumed ESPN. I kept flipping the Baylor game with the Stanford game, and it was only the next channel up on my cable system. I just assumed ESPN. I guess I have more sport channels than I thought!

In light of the new information, I guess I have to say I still don't think it's the end of the world. ESPN 3 will be just fine for me, I use the app regularly

CBear01

Reaction Score
"Until somebody beats them their the champs"..always did like Coach Mulkey. :)

I took this quote a little differently...

I do not think she was intentionally praising CT. I think she really really believes her team has a big shot at a win and by calling CT "the champs" and "the ones to beat" and all that jazz she is just setting herself up to look great if Baylor pulls off the win.

I like Kim AS A COACH but I have to say she really is a lot of bling and hot breath. I mean just look at her jackets:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom