Coach Mike Cavanaugh not going anywhere… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coach Mike Cavanaugh not going anywhere…

Reaction Score
Thanks for the kind words about Bruce who gets very little respect around here. Those who were around here then know the real story, though. Btw, check out the NY Time March 15, 1992, folks if you doubt me.

So Blades, if you played with Janney and Leetch, who played for DA and AOF respectively and neither played for the 'Pics, you must have been together at BC.
Close, but please do try to connects the dots and I'm glad you get CT and BC connections of 2 former teammates and friends, even though they only lasted there a year. I'd be glad to have a PC with you, at say a Uconn Hockey game, because you seem to remember the work and dedication that alot of people put into this program, when most in CT didn't even know it existed, even "certain people" in the Uconn AD it seemed at times. Hockey was a very big part of my life years ago, so I'd rather leave it at that.

But the personal touch that Bruce delivered in his letters, gear, yearbooks and new clippings that he sent updating how the team was doing, never went unnoticed especially by me. It's a shame that everything in college sports now is more bells and whistles or else you can't compete.

Nothing I said was false. Like a famous coach once said "you are what your record says you are" and Cav wasn't BC's guy despite what writers like Connelly wrote. Hopefully for the programs sake, shinny new things and Matthew Wood doing a Jack Eichel impression, plus a little help from the portal, can keep this thing going in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the kind words about Bruce who gets very little respect around here. Those who were around here then know the real story, though. Btw, check out the NY Time March 15, 1992, folks if you doubt me.

So Blades, if you played with Janney and Leetch, who played for DA and AOF respectively and neither played for the 'Pics, you must have been together at BC. And then the Whalers organization. Not too shabby regardless of which team. High level stuff and far more qualified than the majority of us. So I think we can assume you have contacts.

To go off on a tangent, since this topic has been beaten to death, I was skating with my kids one Sunday morning in April 1991 in the old rink which we had to ourselves. David Emma had just won the Hobey, and over on the baseball field we could see UConn and BC warming up for a game. We said hey, lets go over and see if Emma is catching for BC. So we did. We were the only spectators in the stands. Andy Baylock, the coach at the time came over and spent five or ten minutes with the kids talking baseball and gave them each a media guide. Great guy to go out of his way and do that. My kids loved that as they also played baseball. David Emma had not yet rejoined the baseball team after the hockey season. In fact, I do not know if he played baseball at all in his senior season.
RST,

I‘m with you guys on Bruce. I always thought he was under rated as a coach and as a guy who insured that UConn had a hockey program to upgrade. When he was on an equal footing with his opponents, his teams were highly competitive. He went to the ECAC final four when they played D3 several times as I recall. Won a MAAC title in the early D1 days and with zero scholarships he had teams that typically competed with Atlantic teams with many more and success was hard to come by. But it was like playing with one hand tied behind your back. I always had a feeling that those teams were 1-2 guys away from being pretty good and even a few scholarships would have made a big difference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is good news. They have the architect of the program with them when they move into the new barn.

Reaction Score
Close, but please do try to connects the dots and I'm glad you get CT and BC connections of 2 former teammates and friends, even though they only lasted there a year. I'd be glad to have a PC with you, at say a Uconn Hockey game, because you seem to remember the work and dedication that alot of people put into this program, when most in CT didn't even know it existed, even "certain people" in the Uconn AD it seemed at times. Hockey was a very big part of my life years ago, so I'd rather leave it at that.

But the personal touch that Bruce delivered in his letters, gear, yearbooks and new clippings that he sent updating how the team was doing, never went unnoticed especially by me. It's a shame that everything in college sports now is more bells and whistles or else you can't compete.

Nothing I said was false. Like a famous coach once said "you are what your record says you are" and Cav wasn't BC's guy despite what writers like Connelly wrote. Hopefully for the programs sake, shinny new things and Matthew Wood doing a Jack Eichel impression, plus a little help from the portal, can keep this thing going in the right direction.
BC offered Cav.

Reaction Score

-> "I am pleased that Coach Cavanaugh will be leading our men's hockey program for the foreseeable future," Benedict said. "It is well known that Cav was highly sought after following the 2021-22 season and this contract is more in line with his Hockey East peers whose programs are competing for championships. As our new on-campus hockey facility continues to take shape, this contract reaffirms our investment into the program, and of our intention to compete at the highest level. Cav has put UConn men's hockey on a great path, and I am excited for what's to come."

The contract, which is retroactive to May of 2022, is valued at $3.58 million over the six-year term and includes the opportunity to earn bonuses based on team performance.

"I want to thank David Benedict, the Board of Trustees and the leadership at the University of Connecticut for their continued commitment to me and our men's hockey program," Cavanaugh said. "We have worked hard to build our program into a Hockey East championship contender and are excited to keep building and working until we raise that first championship banner in our new state-of-the-art facility on campus. The future is bright for our hockey team and I am thrilled to be leading this program as we strive to make all of UConn Nation proud." <-

Reaction Score

Daniel Connolly @DanielVConnolly 5m
Last May, Cavanaugh signed a five-year extension worth $1.9 million. But following BC's pursuit, Cav gets two extra years and roughly $140k more per year

Daniel Connolly @DanielVConnolly 2m
It's difficult to know exactly who the highest-paid coach in college hockey is since a lot of schools are private. However, UMass coach Greg Carvel's recent extension bumped his base salary to $500k per year. Cav will make close to $600k per year on this new deal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom