Coach Mike Cavanaugh not going anywhere… | The Boneyard

Coach Mike Cavanaugh not going anywhere…

Reaction Score

Just curious if anyone knows how serious/close it was, did he withdraw before a decision, etc. I have been reading he was a "top candidate." Just kinda find it a little odd to say he's committed while interviewing for another job.

Reaction Score
Just curious if anyone knows how serious/close it was, did he withdraw before a decision, etc. I have been reading he was a "top candidate." Just kinda find it a little odd to say he's committed while interviewing for another job.
Well he's clearly committed because he's no longer a candidate whether it's by his decision or theirs...

It's obviously a good thing/sign he's staying put -- the recruiting has been great and is still rising (exhibit A: Matthew Wood). I don't think he's hit his ceiling here (although at times it looks like he was getting close). Excited for what the new facility will bring for the program!

Reaction Score
I get the history with them and Mike, but a guy with a 85–121–29 (.423) Hockey East record is the best that BC could do ?

Reaction Score
Not going to lie, he's dumb for turning down BC. But he's our dummy so I won't be that hard on him :)
He built this program. It’s not always about leaving for a shinier toy. And I’m sure he has an ego like most coaches. Winning a hockey championship at UConn would be treated differently than at BC in terms of his legacy.
Also, spending two days at TD Garden I’m sure he looked around, soaked it in and said look where I’ve taken this program. Benedict was there, I’m sure he felt the same. It was a great atmosphere.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Golf clap for AD Dave in getting this done.

Reaction Score
It was important for Cav to make this statement for recruiting purposes. What happened behind the scenes? Who knows? But in any case, this statement is a good positive step for the UConn hockey program.

Reaction Score
Not going to lie, he's dumb for turning down BC. But he's our dummy so I won't be that hard on him :)

I’ve heard for years he thought he’d never be offered the BC job because he did not go there for school. He was an asst for 10 years, he knows what it’s all about, I don’t think it was a job he pined for,

Also, He knows he has a good thing here and did not want to pull a Randy Edsall I.

Reaction Score
It’s like you just arrived on Earth and have no backstory on UConn hockey over the past 10 years.
Hell forget the last 10 how about the last 4?
Seriously, you should stay in your lane, instead of addressing me personally. I've supported the program for 25 years. Played on a team with Craig Janney and Brian Leetch and most importantly spent 4 years with the Whalers organization.

So I'd get why someone like you would have low expectations. Isn't that the typical CT hockey fan mentality? I'm just surprised your not waiting for a parade because Cav finally got to Boston and lost a HE final. So keep believing the narratives if you want, but I know better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

-> When York recently announced his retirement, Cavanaugh had conversations with Boston College officials but the process went no further than that. He announced on social media he was staying at UConn, effectively removing himself from consideration. The Boston College job is still open.

“I love Boston College,” Cavanaugh said. “I had 18 fabulous years there. I met my wife there. Both my kids were baptized on the campus, it was a great time in my life. But that chapter ended, and I started a new chapter at UConn. There has been ups and downs, and that’s going to happen when you build a program from scratch in Hockey East, but I really have enjoyed the process. I love where it’s at now, and I’m excited to see where it’s going.” <-

-> “I can’t thank the leadership at Connecticut, [Board of Trustees chair] Dan Toscano, [interim president] Radenka Maric, [chief of staff] Rachel Rubin and, of course, [director of athletics] David Benedict for believing in me as much as they do,” Cavanaugh said. “Their investment in the hockey program is certainly clear to me, and it should be clear to UConn hockey fans as well. UConn wants to have a national championship-caliber hockey team.” <-

Reaction Score
He built this program. It’s not always about leaving for a shinier toy. And I’m sure he has an ego like most coaches. Winning a hockey championship at UConn would be treated differently than at BC in terms of his legacy.
Also, spending two days at TD Garden I’m sure he looked around, soaked it in and said look where I’ve taken this program. Benedict was there, I’m sure he felt the same. It was a great atmosphere.

I’ve heard for years he thought he’d never be offered the BC job because he did not go there for school. He was an asst for 10 years, he knows what it’s all about, I don’t think it was a job he pined for,

Also, He knows he has a good thing here and did not want to pull a Randy Edsall I.
BC is top 5/7 program in the country, that's why I said what I said. It's not necessarily a shinier toy -- it is the toy. Look at the US development U18 team roster that just came out -- a handful of Eagles on it. Sure, it's all been Jerry York -- it's essentially the Duke basketball of college hockey -- but Duke is still bringing in top recruits so the next BC coach should be able to as well.

Love the Edsall comment but Maryland fball isn't BC hockey and aren't even close to being the same thing in their respective sports.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Also the UConn hockey job that Cav has is a lot better than the football job Edsall had in their respective sports.

Reaction Score
Gotta believe the AIC coach is going to land somewhere soon. Lots of open slots

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Also the UConn hockey job that Cav has is a lot better than the football job Edsall had in their respective sports.
I’ve never thought about it before, but in many ways I think they are pretty equivalent. The Big East conference wasn’t to football what Hockey East is in college hockey, but it was a BCS conference. Both coaches were attempting to steward Connecticut into the big time of their respective sports. Both got brandy new facilities that built for their programs. You could even argue that Randy Edsall had better success in that he won the conference championship twice and made it to a BCS bowl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom