Coach McDermott is back for Creighton | The Boneyard

Coach McDermott is back for Creighton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Screenshot 2021-03-08 163208.jpg

Reaction Score
Zegarowski said it best, he was upset but he's a father figure and he has helped him shape his life. I guess his respect out weighed the mans poor decision. Glad they can move forward and learn from this, especially Coach.

Reaction Score
Team captain Zegarowski after last game said (paraphrased) "He hurt us, but he's had my back in the past and I have his back." Seemed to speak for the team.

Reaction Score
Still completely inexplicable how “plantation” is in anyone’s lexicon (let alone a bball coach) in 2021, but hey
I can't tell you what was in McDermott's head when he said that but I've never heard anyone use the word plantation like that. Maybe he meant to say reservation, which isn't exactly pc either, but I've heard people use it like that before. But plantation?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Still completely inexplicable how “plantation” is in anyone’s lexicon (let alone a bball coach) in 2021, but hey

You can't be serious. The word plantation on it's own has no racial implications. If you feel that way, maybe you are the one that needs to look in the mirror.

The context of how he said it considering his position on the team is what made it inappropriate.
He probably meant to use the phrase "on the reservation" but butchered the colloquialism. People butcher saying and phrases all the time, it happens. Unfortunately, there were racial implications in his error.

He owned up to the mistake. Glad to see the school made the right decision after the players weighed in.

Reaction Score
Team captain Zegarowski after last game said (paraphrased) "He hurt us, but he's had my back in the past and I have his back." Seemed to speak for the team.
I just found it a very odd analogy to use. I mean like dude seriously? I dont think he shouldve been fired or suspended for too long but he definitely needs to fix any damage done to the relationship with his kids.

Reaction Score
We need to be ready for that Creighton game in the Big East Tournament.

We should not think that this will be a walk in the park. It won’t, this could bring that team closer together.

They will be coming into the tournament with a chip on their shoulder.

Game plan needs to be good here and guys need to be strong at all positions.

PS: This is the one team where the up and down game favors them. We need to bully them down low. We need strong defensive efforts from Martin and Whaley.

PS: Dagger Trey Ty and Bouk will be key on offense.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

We should not think that this will be a walk in the park. It won’t, this could bring that team closer together.

PS: This is the one team where the up and down game favors them. We need to bully them down low. We need strong defensive efforts from Martin and Whaley.

And we need to drain free throws when we get them.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
You can't be serious. The word plantation on it's own has no racial implications. If you feel that way, maybe you are the one that needs to look in the mirror.

The context of how he said it considering his position on the team is what made it inappropriate.
He probably meant to use the phrase "on the reservation" but butchered the colloquialism. People butcher saying and phrases all the time, it happens. Unfortunately, there were racial implications in his error.

He owned up to the mistake. Glad to see the school made the right decision after the players weighed in.
Dude, its America, the coach is a white guy who is paid millions, and his mostly black team is unpaid: plantation most definitely has racial implications. And I had to re-read your post twice just to confirm that you in fact thought "stay on the reservation" was both an acceptable phrase and good defense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We need him back because when UConn beats Creighton in the NBE Tournament there can't be the excuse that it was because their coach wasn't on the sidelines

Reaction Score

I hope no one here nor on the team thinks it’ll be a walk in the park, because it most certainly won’t be.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

One game at a time should be the focus. Let's defeat PC/DePaul first, and then we'll see .

But yeah I think the team would love revenge vs CU.

Reaction Score
I hope no one here nor on the team thinks it’ll be a walk in the park, because it most certainly won’t be.
I think the two Ls they hung on us make it pretty clear it’s not a walk in the park. I also think the focus should be on Providence, or Creighton will not matter.

Reaction Score
Glad he's back. Firing him would have been the easy way out. does need to learn from this. So much more can be accomplished by him understanding why what he said was wrong-there is no defense for his statement, but he can learn and grow. Firing him does not fix the problem. It is a societal problem as you can see my the many posters who have little or no problem with it.

Reaction Score
All I am saying is we need to be extra extra prepared for this Creighton rematch. I am confident we will win against the Providence/DePaul winner.

Creighton creates matchup problems with their team speed and shooting ability. Our focus needs to be on Damien Jefferson and Bishop. We need to win the forwards/bigs matchup. The guards will play to a draw on both teams most likely.

We need Ty Polley and Bouk to be sharp on offense, and Martin/Whaley need to stay out of foul trouble and defend well.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Dude, its America, the coach is a white guy who is paid millions, and his mostly black team is unpaid: plantation most definitely has racial implications. And I had to re-read your post twice just to confirm that you in fact thought "stay on the reservation" was both an acceptable phrase and good defense.

Dude, I know what country we're in, and you must not have great reading comprehension.

I said the word plantation on its own has no racial implications, but how he used it in his position made it inappropriate... which is similar to what you said. So thanks for agreeing with me.

There's nothing wrong with the term "reservation" either. Get a grip.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, I spent more than a decade in the coffee industry and it's kind of a necessary noun.

And whether @Rocktheworld knows or not it is still commonly used for housing developments with golf courses among other things. Also, the landing site for the Pilgrims is called Plimouth Plantation. It’s a word with ordinary meanings. His usage was indeed a problem but the word isn’t evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom