Coach Hurley | The Boneyard

Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
Watching Coach Hurley last night made me realize how fortunate we are to have him. He looks like he is going to blow a gasket at any moment, because he loves the game and puts everything he has into it. He reminds me a lot of a guy who showed up in the mid 80's with similar fire and passion.

He definitely has the ship pointed in the right direction, and with talent like Bouknight and Andre Jackson there will be a return to real UConn basketball. Our depth is so much better than it has been in years, players like Adams and Wilson are developing, and if we can land another quality big, there is a real possibility of a tournament run next season.

Big props to Coach Hurley for turning things around relatively quickly. We couldn't have found a better guy for the job.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I love, love, love Coach Hurley's enthusiasm. There were moments last year that stand out to me. In the Arizona game, when it was close towards the end and a timeout had been called, he ran onto the court waving his arms up and down to implore the crowd to go nuts. He did the funnest looking chest bump with Jalen Adams after the win against Cuse...you could tell how happy he was for the team and for Jalen. Other than that, his actions are pretty much consistent with a coach that loves to win and compete, and he shows it.

I would say he has righted the ship. I wouldn't say he has turned things around yet, but we are building for sure. These next 2 games will be tests...we can't just look towards Florida. St Joseph's is one of those teams full of tough players from Philly that can snap you off when you're not ready, and let's not forget that Buffalo was ranked all of last year basically (unlike us). We have 2 legit losable games if Danny doesn't keep these guys ready, and THEN we play Florida. These next 3 games will be a good barometer. Then we're off to the Garden for a primetime date with the Hoosiers. Would be so awesome to be undefeated going into NYC. I could puff my chest out a little more stepping off the subway with my new jersey on.

Reaction Score
Love watching Hurley and and of his sideline antics. I always laugh ( in a positive way ) seeing his facial expressions and body language. Much like my wife, he doesn’t have to say anything to let you know what his thinking and feeling.

Reaction Score
How do you not love a coach who says he’s almost ready to puke before every game??

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Everything looks and feels better, but I keep having to remind myself that it is early yet and it's still going to take some time until things look and feel good.

The thing I love most is that he is sick about the same things I am sick about.

Reaction Score
Boul
Everything looks and feels better, but I keep having to remind myself that it is early yet and it's still going to take some time until things look and feel good.

The thing I love most is that he is sick about the same things I am sick about.
Last night is the rare game I miss but this year will be an up and down type of deal I think. Ollie hold overs still, those kids can play but next season will really be when stuff starts clicking. Next season will be the first year in many years where we will truly be elite athletically. It sounds corny but sometimes you know you're good when ypu are dunking the ball all the friggin' time. Hurley let that one slip recently.

Reaction Score
Glad to have him, but he really needs to learn to pick his spots.

If I am thinking the same thing as you int I believe we agree. I love the way he coached mostly. His passion is up there with JC's and the kids have improved since he's been here without a doubt mentally, physically and their games.

For 2 years the only thing that stands out which I do not like admittedly is way too many long whining sessions on calls which mean little and are even sometimes correct by the ref. Sometimes he wastes coaching time on whining time, needs to improve that. Just my opinion but that's his passion so it won't be easy. JC had his way as he also questioned the refs but he didn't whine, he made them respect him. Danny needs to figure that one out, he's not a fan he's the man.

Reaction Score
If I am thinking the same thing as you int I believe we agree. I love the way he coached mostly. His passion is up there with JC's and the kids have improved since he's been here without a doubt mentally, physically and their games.

For 2 years the only thing that stands out which I do not like admittedly is way too many long whining sessions on calls which mean little and are even sometimes correct by the ref. Sometimes he wastes coaching time on whining time, needs to improve that. Just my opinion but that's his passion so it won't be easy. JC had his way as he also questioned the refs but he didn't whine, he made them respect him. Danny needs to figure that one out, he's not a fan he's the man.
He already has improved that, when he was at Wagner and early at URI he was kind of a pyschopath with the anger and whining. I'm not much of an Eastern Medicine guy but let's just say yoga and meditation are a good thing for Dan. His dad was pretty much a pyscho for the better part of 40 years as was JC. These are two of the greatest basketball minds in the history of the.game. The Calhoun/Bob Hurley Sr. s the best way but I think Dan is finding the 2020 balance.

Reaction Score
Everything points to Hurley being a very good hire. The one thing that has been noticable is the improvement in players like Adams, Sid and Josh.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
and let's not forget that Buffalo was ranked all of last year basically (unlike us). We have 2 legit losable games if Danny doesn't keep these guys ready, and THEN we play Florida.
Isn't the Florida Game before the Buffalo game?
Rhetorical question. Florida on 11/17, Buffalo on 11/21

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Learn to pick his spots???? This isn’t some new JV basketball coach in Marlborough

If you are yelling at the refs the entire time, even when it was the correct call, your complaining completely loses its effectiveness. For a referee, it just becomes annoying noise in the background at best ignored, at worst begrudged. This is basic human nature stuff.

JC would kill the refs, but not the entire game. So when he did, it was impactful.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If you are yelling at the refs the entire time, even when it was the correct call, your complaining completely loses its effectiveness. For a referee, it just becomes annoying noise in the background at best ignored, at worst begrudged. This is basic human nature stuff.

JC would kill the refs, but not the entire game. So when he did, it was impactful.

JC's ref abuse is legendary. He got tossed a lot, and eventually, there were certain refs who seemed to go into UConn games just looking for the opportunity to toss him.

I don't like Hurley's whine though. Reminds me a bit too much of KO's pouting face response.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
JC's ref abuse is legendary. He got tossed a lot, and eventually, there were certain refs who seemed to go into UConn games just looking for the opportunity to toss him.

Of course it was. But JC didn't argue every single call, especially those where the refs made the correct one. Sometimes he'd be on them all game, but mostly, he argued crap or iffy calls. And when JC went after the ref, he went for the throat tho. He could lose his mind, but was usually strategic in what he did. He got a number of techs on purpose.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was hoping he was going to get tossed tbh. The second foul on Carlton and 2 of the first 3 on Whaley were putrid, and we were winning that game anyways

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Do you see how often he just stands there with his mouth hanging open? That’s him picking his spots!

Reaction Score
After 2 or 3 years of moping on the sidelines, I am not about to complain about last year or this year.

The only thing I wonder is will players always be able to match that passion? He will get a lot of players who operate on his wavelength, but I think from time to time maybe not. Hurley is one of a kind and I am super happy to have him. He is the kind of coach where players will want to go to great lengths to match his expectations, that is a good thing.

Reaction Score

I don't like Hurley's whine though. Reminds me a bit too much of KO's pouting face response.

I was at the game and I picked up on what you did. It's not the working of the refs or even picking his spots (most of the calls I saw on UConn were legit). But his was of doing it reminded me of when you swat a fly out of the way. A half hearted plea and the refs just sorta ignored him. It just didn't seem effective. I just don't know how you complain about some of those calls when your veteran back court were doing some of the things they were doing for those first 20 minutes. Gilbert goes to the line for the first time of the year and bricks both his free throws setting the entire tone for the half. Vital travels than mopes getting back and leaves his guy open in the corner for a 3. I think it's unfair to compare Hurley or Ollie to Calhoun but the second that 3 went up Calhoun would have had his hands up calling the timeout and been at midcourt to meet Vital with the replacement already at the table. That probably happened in the locker room but you can't wait that long against a good team. I just wish he spent a little more energy responding to the team and pushing their buttons. Less time with the token plea to the refs. It's a new style so it takes time getting used to. I prefer it to the Ollie sitting down looking confused. But as a Calhoun acolyte it's just different getting used to.

Reaction Score
Boul
Last night is the rare game I miss but this year will be an up and down type of deal I think. Ollie hold overs still, those kids can play but next season will really be when stuff starts clicking. Next season will be the first year in many years where we will truly be elite athletically. It sounds corny but sometimes you know you're good when ypu are dunking the ball all the friggin' time. Hurley let that one slip recently.

I don't see it being that much of a difference if we don't upgrade this frontcourt after Carlton. Right now we have no one coming in.

Reaction Score
I don't see it being that much of a difference if we don't upgrade this frontcourt after Carlton. Right now we have no one coming in.
Andre Jackson is the most athletic player we've ever brought in. Bouk is super atheltic, Gaffney ia super athletic, Akok is super athletic, Sid is super athletic. I think we'll get Javonte, him added to Carlton, Whaley, and Richie gives us a frontcourt with some size and depth which we haven't had in years.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom