Coach Hurley compared to "the greats" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach Hurley compared to "the greats"

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think it is increasingly unlikely that we will ever see a coach win three NCs at the same school again.
Jay Wright has a better than 50/50 chance
Hurley won't be as successful as most here feel he will be if he doesn't learn how to instill an effective offensive scheme and stick to it. He can recruit all the 4 and 5 star guys in the world but unless you give them the opportunities to play with an effective flow while possessing the ball - all we are going to see is a bunch of street ballers standing around. Ben G, Rip, Rashad, Ray, Caron - they all moved without the ball and created multiple options on each possession. We haven't seen that at UConn in a long time. Giffs and Jeremy showed some of that movement but KO's and DH's teams have mostly been lacking an effective offense - and both were PGs which blows my mind.
DH is a really good recruiter and he will bring in the ballers but without a plan he won't get the best results out of them scoring the ball. Defense is important but only 50% of the game.

Reaction Score
Hurley won't be as successful as most here feel he will be if he doesn't learn how to instill an effective offensive scheme and stick to it. He can recruit all the 4 and 5 star guys in the world but unless you give them the opportunities to play with an effective flow while possessing the ball - all we are going to see is a bunch of street ballers standing around. Ben G, Rip, Rashad, Ray, Caron - they all moved without the ball and created multiple options on each possession. We haven't seen that at UConn in a long time. Giffs and Jeremy showed some of that movement but KO's and DH's teams have mostly been lacking an effective offense - and both were PGs which blows my mind.
DH is a really good recruiter and he will bring in the ballers but without a plan he won't get the best results out of them scoring the ball. Defense is important but only 50% of the game.
Rip never stopped moving, but besides Bouk we don’t have anyone else who comes off screens to shoot. Even Polley is a spot up shooter.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To clarify, my point of posting this wasn't to imply he is great or to imply that he is guaranteed to be a great.

It was simply to show that in-order for him to bring the program back to winning titles, he (obviously) still has a lot of growing to do as a coach but it also may take him some time to get there based on how long it took the other "great" coaches to reach that point.

Really just trying to give us a frame of reference on where he is in his career progression compared to others who have reached an elite level, like we all hope he can eventually do here at UConn.

Also a few other names I left off the list mentioned in this thread, figured I'd add them here below.

Tom Izzo, 5 years as a head coach to win his first (and only) title. He was an assistant at MSU for 12 years prior.
Tony Bennett, 13 years as a head coach to win his first (and only) title
John Callipari, 20 years as a head coach to win his first (and only)
Mark Few, 21 years as a head coach and still has not won a title

Steve Fisher (1989) Tom Izzo (2000) and Kevin Ollie (2014) are the only modern era coaches to ever win a title with less than 10 years of head coaching experience.
I got your point
I'll take Izzo, Bennett, Few as my coach any day of the week and all those guys and others have coached at the highest level in their 1st 10 years as a HC. DH at Wagner and URI
You can be a great coach and not win a bunch of titles
Thats what makes a very few guys like Calhoun to be above great - I dont see DH or 99% of coaches reaching that level but while he's at UConn I would love to see him come close!

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of doom and gloom on here after the Creighton loss. A lot of criticism of our head man, Dan Hurley. While he obviously has room to improve himself as a coach, especially in game adjustments, we need to realize we have something special here and may need to give him time (lots of it) if we want to see him be great at UConn. He has only 10 years as a D1 head coach and this is his first season coaching at the "high major" level.

Here is how long it took some of the NCAA modern-era greats at high major programs to win their first titles.

Jim Calhoun: 27 years as a head coach (13 years at UConn)
Coach K: 16 years as head coach (11 years at Duke)
Roy Williams: 13 years as head coach (13 years at Kansas/UNC)
Jay Wright: 22 years as head coach (15 years at Nova)
Billy Donovan: 12 years as head coach (10 years at Florida)
Jim Boeheim: 27 years as head coach (his one and only title, probably ever)
Bill Self: 15 years as head coach (8 years at Illinois/Kansas)

Dan Hurley: 10 years as head coach (3rd year at UConn, 1st in the Big East)

He is no doubt the right guy to return this program to glory. The culture he is focused on building and his winning attitude are coaching intangibles second to none. Just like the student-athletes he is coaching, his skills on the sideline will improve over time as he continues to face better competition on a regular basis. I'm hoping it is sooner than a decade until we get our next title, but if history is any indicator we may need to be patient. But we will no doubt have a great ride back to the top regardless of how long it takes.
Yeah. You obviously know nothing about most of these guys. Calhoun took over a D2 program at Northeastern and moved to D1. Got to the tournament in his 2nd year of eligibility. He won 3 national championships and an NIT. At this point Hurley doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence never mind compared as a coach

Reaction Score
Hurley looks to me at this point like a very good recruiter, average coach. He could improve over time. But if I were betting, my bet would be that he is much closer to Mark Gottfried than Roy Williams Mike Krzysewski or Jim Calhoun. Hope I’m wrong but those guys can, as the saying goes, take yourn and beat theirn and take theirn and beat yourn. Hurley couldn’t beat Creighton.

Reaction Score
Hurley looks to me at this point like a very good recruiter, average coach. He could improve over time. But if I were betting, my bet would be that he is much closer to Mark Gottfried than Roy Williams Mike Krzysewski or Jim Calhoun. Hope I’m wrong but those guys can, as the saying goes, take yourn and beat theirn and take theirn and beat yourn. Hurley couldn’t beat Creighton.
Hurley’s father is a helluva coach, I’d put him on the bench.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think he’s probably got the best chance of those who already have have one or two, but 50/50 still seems awfully high imo. I’d think more like 25%.

As I said, I was talking about coaches who haven’t won any yet, like Hurley, and the chance that we will see another one in that position win three or more at the same school again.

I think people are underestimating how hard that was when players stayed in school longer, and how much harder it is now. Only six guys have done it so far.

Reaction Score
I think he’s probably got the best chance of those who already have have one or two, but 50/50 still seems awfully high imo. I’d think more like 25%.

As I said, I was talking about coaches who haven’t won any yet, like Hurley, and the chance that we will see another one in that position win three or more at the same school again.

I think people are underestimating how hard that was when players stayed in school longer, and how much harder it is now. Only six guys have done it so far.
Why discount someone like Wright? 5 years ago he had zero

Reaction Score

Agreed.

With kids leaving early , the situation gets complicated unless you have the Duke and Kansas and Kentucky and UNC, that keep getting top 25 players every year to restock.

Maybe the key for schools other than the above is "smart recruiting" where you try to project players who will likely stay a few years or who are not all one and done players.

I think either on the BY or in ESPN, it mentioned Baylor as a school that has had success with lesser heralded players.

Hurley seems to have identified some gems or late developing players.

Recruiting players with prior injuries has upside and downside. Bouk had an injury which may have caused him to be overlooked or not as focused on when in high school by other schools. Gilbert had prior shoulder injuries that hindered his progress while at UConn.

That's why coaches and assistants get paid what they get paid. To screen potential and have the personality traits to close the deal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why discount someone like Wright? 5 years ago he had zero
I am not discounting him. I said he has the best chance. I think 25% is a very good chance. It is a very hard thing to do. That is my point.

Reaction Score
I agree that coaching at the above schools always gives a coach a chance with all the factors you mentioned.

Maybe Chris Beard, can or will, at Texas Tech. He is young at 47, came close in 2019, gets paid $4.575M a year. Took a program that was second tier in his conference and has them up there. Though, if K retires at Duke, he might wind up there.

What about Bennett at UVA? Young guy, won one already, gets good recruits albeit some are deterred by the deliberate style of play.

None yet for Few, but not impossible.
As far as Bennet is concerned.. Maybe. What do i know. Nice start. Solid conference. He's put a few good teams together for sure. Epic fail one time. The exact opposite the following year.

I don't think he moves schools at this point. So maybe NBA pulls him away, but at this point I suspect he puts in the time at UVA.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Valvano?

I was just looking at coaches who won in the modern era (64 team tourney) but he won his first title 11 years into his HC career.

One of the coolest stories from UConn basketball past is that he was an assistant here for a few years early in his career.

Reaction Score
What's funny is if Cole just makes ONE of those two free throws there is about a 70-80% chance this whole forum looks completely different than it has over the last few days.
It's fascinating to contemplate this counterfactual. As you imply, the past performance and current state of the program are nearly 100% the same whether he makes one or both of those free throws or not, and yet the mood of the fan base is drastically different than it would be had we won.

This doesn't necessarily mean the panic around here is unwarranted. It could theoretically be the case that, even if we won that game, we should be panicking for whatever reasons. The thing is, I doubt many, if any, Boneyarders would be panicking if Cole made a free throw and we won the game by one. In fact, I'd venture to say we'd have a lot of people jumping on @Scrappy3's bandwagon.

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of doom and gloom on here after the Creighton loss. A lot of criticism of our head man, Dan Hurley. While he obviously has room to improve himself as a coach, especially in game adjustments, we need to realize we have something special here and may need to give him time (lots of it) if we want to see him be great at UConn. He has only 10 years as a D1 head coach and this is his first season coaching at the "high major" level.

Here is how long it took some of the NCAA modern-era greats at high major programs to win their first titles.

Jim Calhoun: 27 years as a head coach (13 years at UConn)
Coach K: 16 years as head coach (11 years at Duke)
Roy Williams: 13 years as head coach (13 years at Kansas/UNC)
Jay Wright: 22 years as head coach (15 years at Nova)
Billy Donovan: 12 years as head coach (10 years at Florida)
Jim Boeheim: 27 years as head coach (his one and only title, probably ever)
Bill Self: 15 years as head coach (8 years at Illinois/Kansas)

Dan Hurley: 10 years as head coach (3rd year at UConn, 1st in the Big East)

He is no doubt the right guy to return this program to glory. The culture he is focused on building and his winning attitude are coaching intangibles second to none. Just like the student-athletes he is coaching, his skills on the sideline will improve over time as he continues to face better competition on a regular basis. I'm hoping it is sooner than a decade until we get our next title, but if history is any indicator we may need to be patient. But we will no doubt have a great ride back to the top regardless of how long it takes.

This is UCONN we can't spot a coach 10 years.

Reaction Score
It's interesting...Hurley's OT record here isn't good, yet at URI he was undefeated in OT

Reaction Score
This doesn't necessarily mean the panic around here is unwarranted.

I think the panic is unwarranted.

It's funny that we have posters pining for the days of Calhoun's half-court offense. Back then people griped about Calhoun's half-court offense.

There are probably fewer than ten rosters in college basketball with as much talent as this program currently has, there are a couple more very talented players landing on campus next year, and we have a coach whose best coaching is ahead of him who happens to be a full decade younger than Calhoun was when he won his first one.

I think things are alright.

Reaction Score
I think the panic is unwarranted.

It's funny that we have posters pining for the days of Calhoun's half-court offense. Back then people griped about Calhoun's half-court offense.

There are probably fewer than ten rosters in college basketball with as much talent as this program currently has, there are a couple more very talented players landing on campus next year, and we have a coach whose best coaching is ahead of him who happens to be a full decade younger than Calhoun was when he won his first one.

I think things are alright.
I agree. It is not my personal opinion that panic is warranted. I am simply postulating that, if a single foul shot is the difference between winning and losing a game, the degree to which panic is justified is essentially the same regardless of whether or not said foul shot goes in.

Reaction Score
It’s hard to win one national championship.

Hurley has a lot going for him, including the UConn name in the Big East and his past success.

UConn fans expect titles. That’s a very difficult expectation. Hurley can be a successful coach and still not capture a title.

Think of the very good coaches that never won a title.

Reaction Score
I’ll start my list in-conference with Louie and PJ!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s hard to win one national championship.

Hurley has a lot going for him, including the UConn name in the Big East and his past success.

UConn fans expect titles. That’s a very difficult expectation. Hurley can be a successful coach and still not capture a title.

Think of the very good coaches that never won a title.

I am one of the exceptions here but I define greatness in college basketball with consistent excellence. Titles are almost arbitrary, see 2014 for an example. But making the tournament every year and getting a shot at a title with a decent run, that’s what I hope for from a coach. It’s what I expect at UConn.

Mark Few has zero titles. I think he has been great.

Reaction Score
I am one of the exceptions here but I define greatness in college basketball with consistent excellence. Titles are almost arbitrary, see 2014 for an example. But making the tournament every year and getting a shot at a title with a decent run, that’s what I hope for from a coach. It’s what I expect at UConn.

Mark Few has zero titles. I think he has been great.
Jamie Dixon had very competitive teams and didn’t make a Final Four.

JC was lightning in a bottle. Wright has that right now. Few also has it, as you said, with no titles (yet).

Reaction Score
Correct, i.e., he ain't one of the coaching greats.
He is 7-1 in NCAA tournament games
Hard to match that %
He also won more AAC tourney games than anyone else.
His first 4 seasons were pretty incredible. He was the hottest prospect around.
Maybe even the real haters will come to understand that the 2014 championship was among the most important as it stamped the program as more then a one coach phenomena.
He Burned out because of personal problems made worse by an inability to deal with the spotlight. The spotlight is not the best for everyone.
His tragic saga is worthy of Shakespeare .
If you can get over your hate watch the Pre 2014 FF press conference . Bazz and RB especially truelly loved their coach who in turn believed in them . It’s heartbreaking in retrospect.
Hopefully he can turn his life around as in America we love the man achieves success , loses everything, and manages to regain self worth often in some obscure way saga. That would be stuff of Hollywood.
Happy New Year to the true believers.

Reaction Score
What's funny is if Cole just makes ONE of those two free throws there is about a 70-80% chance this whole forum looks completely different than it has over the last few days.
Basketball is harsh. No credit is given for close losses. There is a fine line between good and great.

Reaction Score
Hurley has three wins against ranked opponents in his career, I believe? Houston last year is the only one against a team that finished the season ranked (20th before COVID hit). The other two were against a mediocre Syracuse team in MSG and with URI in November against Seton Hall in pre-season tournament. Cute lost that year in the first round of the NCAAs as an 8 seed. The Hall did not make the tourney thet year.

Hurley has never coached an NBA player. Bouknight will be his first

Hurley has accomplished almost nothing nationally to date as a coach. Let's wait and see before we anoint him a savior.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom