Coach Calhoun will be on Big Mike today..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach Calhoun will be on Big Mike today.....

Reaction Score
Completely agree with Calhoun on the game moving too much to a dribble-dribble-dribble-dribble-throw up a three offensive mentality. Very little skill is involved there.
A perfect lead into the Celtic win over Golden State last night.
So JC like. Felt and looked like the wins over Duke, Kentucky etc....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This may be a stupid question, but his wins at St. Joe's will count towards his total, right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was good to hear Mike make the point that UConn was the program that kept the Big East special after the great 1st wave. From 1990 to 2010, the two best Big East teams were UConn and ... UConn and St. Johns, UConn and Nova, UConn and Cuse...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Can anybody recap what he says about the theory of giving up offensive rebounds on purpose?

Reaction Score
Can anybody recap what he says about the theory of giving up offensive rebounds on purpose?

I don't think that's what he was saying -- Calhoun talks about how lucky he was to have so many great rebounding teams. He acknowledges a theory that going for every offensive rebound can lead to more run-outs than second-chance hoops, but dismisses it.

At least, that's what I got out of the conversation.

Reaction Score
This is totally incoherent to anyone outside the New York to Boston corrodor.
It is. Even for me, and I grew up in CT. My 5th grade students came into my class as I was finishing the recording and they could not understand a single word he was saying. They annunciate more than he does! But in the end, I love the guy, even if I only get 75% of what he says. This happened to me in County Cork, Ireland too. I could not understand some of the farmers in the country side there when asking for directions and I thought of Jim.

Oh well, he built Uconn like Wooden built UCLA and Smith built UNChea.. I mean UNC. In 150 years, he will still be remembered fondly.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, he is going to kick butt.

I wish KO would think a little more like JC on offensive rebounding. If done right it can really discourage the other team. There is nothing worse than playing a great possession of D, achieving your goal of a missed shot, only to have the other team make a basket off an offensive rebound. It wears you down. With KO’s scheme I seldom see more than one guy on the zip code to offensive rebound.
I also don’t see how a guy in the corner behind the three line is in any better position to guard against a layup the other way?

Last edited by a moderator:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As noted in the previous post when Mike mentioned Calhoun, he once again mistook the GTech final game with Duke semi final game in 2004.

I'm sure a lot of people do. The Semifinal was the default Final that year.

Reaction Score
AAU coaches are teaching this. My son is a solid D3/D2 player with lots of offers and a D1 stretch right now. He is a combo guard and the guy that hangs back as soon as a shot goes up on defense. I constantly yell at him to rebound and he keeps telling me that his coach doesn’t want him to. Idiot. At camps experienced, older college coaches tell me he is very talented but he doesn’t rebound and is quick to take off when a shot goes up. I tell them that he is following orders, they roll their eyes. I’m very frustrated by it because D1 coaches want him to hit the boards and tell me so.

Reaction Score
Is he ever going to have open practices? If he does I'll drive my kid down and watch - I don't care if I have to pay to get in.

Reaction Score
If I was KO, I would have "called in sick" at least once over the past year or two and had JC come in to the room to run practice with the kids jaws on the floor once they realized what they were in for.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
St Joe's, UMass , and ODU being added to the AAC IN '19

C

Chief00

Is he ever going to have open practices? If he does I'll drive my kid down and watch - I don't care if I have to pay to get in.
Don’t give him any ideas LOL! He needs $’s to built a gym.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom