Coach Bozzella on Geno | The Boneyard

Coach Bozzella on Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is a really good article. It’s got a few missing facts but Zagoria usually covers the men’s team so we can cut him some slack

Anthony Bozzella, the Seton Hall coach whose team absorbed a 103-58 beating from Connecticut on Tuesday, and who faces Auriemma at least twice a year in league play, said Auriemma had elevated already talented players.

“I’ve always said this,” Bozzella said in a phone interview. “He’s not the best coach ever because he’s got the best players. He’s the best coach because he’s developed the best players. His players get better.

Reaction Score
I do think that’s right. When you looks across the country at other programs best players there really isn’t that much development that’s occurrs as consistently. Look at Haley Jones and Aaliyah Boston. Great players but no new or improved skill sets year over year like you see most of the time at UConn. If both were at UConn I would imagine one of them would have developed a consistent outside shot by their senior years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a really good article. It’s got a few missing facts but Zagoria usually covers the men’s team so we can cut him some slack

Anthony Bozzella, the Seton Hall coach whose team absorbed a 103-58 beating from Connecticut on Tuesday, and who faces Auriemma at least twice a year in league play, said Auriemma had elevated already talented players.

“I’ve always said this,” Bozzella said in a phone interview. “He’s not the best coach ever because he’s got the best players. He’s the best coach because he’s developed the best players. His players get better.

Thanks Nan, that was an excellent read. Again Geno relates that his players are mentally and physically tired. He says this must be "payback" for all the years when UConn had no injuries. This year the injury bug hit the program hard, including Geno, CD (fainted right after the national anthem before a game), his two best players, and the University mascot Johnathan. :confused:

Reaction Score
if you go to the UConn Seton Hall postgame pressers after Geno is finished you can hear the full interview.........Bozella is a really passionate guy and he really goes off on his team before calming down..........his comments about Geno and the UConn program should be heard by every prospective UConn recruit because you simply won't find more glowing praise from an opposing coach.......

Carnac

Reaction Score
if you go to the UConn Seton Hall postgame pressers after Geno is finished you can hear the full interview.........Bozella is a really passionate guy and he really goes off on his team before calming down..........his comments about Geno and the UConn program should be heard by every prospective UConn recruit because you simply won't find more glowing praise from an opposing coach.......
Bozella knew what was coming when they played UConn. It doesn't change from year to year. It's the same thing twice a year. It's frustrating to see your team have their butts handed to them and not be able to do anything about it. :confused: EVERY coach has pride in his/her team, and their ability to coach. No coach likes to take a beat down. Especially a 45 point beat down at home. :mad:

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thank-you @HuskyNan, this is a great read and I'm very proud of the way these young ladies have carried themselves in the face of this adversity. Almost reminds me of when I was in the Army with the next man or ladies up attitude.

Reaction Score
Bozella is a stand up coach and his comments about GENO were spot on. Too many teams recruit stand-out HS players and in HS they were the star of the team, taking the most shots and going to the basket alone. That was their way of playing. GENO's way of playing is there are no stars, only teamwork. UCONN's teams have always been so successful because of their teamwork, built on a policy of cohesiveness and sharing. GENO could take over any team, no matter how good or no matter how bad, and make them a better team.The lesser achieving teams in my estimation, do way too much dribbling and then the clock runs down and they take drastic shots with no hope of scoring.I have said for the time I have been posting, GENO is a genius and one of a kind, no clones. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Thank-you @HuskyNan, this is a great read and I'm very proud of the way these young ladies have carried themselves in the face of this adversity. Almost reminds me of when I was in the Army with the next man or ladies up attitude.
"Be all that you can be!" ;)

Reaction Score
Here’s a question: what is the number 1 reason recruits come to UConn? Tradition, national exposure, chance to play in Final 4, facilities, quality of institution, locale, Coach and Staff, teammate camaraderie and rapport, environment in which to improve- WNBA, obviously a combination of all of these.
I vote- UConn- place to go to get better.

Reaction Score
Bozella knew what was coming when they played UConn. It doesn't change from year to year. It's the same thing twice a year. It's frustrating to see your team have their butts handed to them and not be able to do anything about it. :confused: EVERY coach has pride in his/her team, and their ability to coach. No coach likes to take a beat down. Especially a 45 point beat down at home. :mad:
All the coaches in the last 10 years in the American Athletic Association and the current Big East have to know what is coming since they are in the league. If my calculations are correct, UCONN is 189 wins to 1 loss. All the other team can only play their hearts out and hope they keep the score to less than a 20 point loss. GENO used to say " I got Diana" . UCONN can say " we got GENO ". GO HUSKIES!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Here’s a question: what is the number 1 reason recruits come to UConn? Tradition, national exposure, chance to play in Final 4, facilities, quality of institution, locale, Coach and Staff, teammate camaraderie and rapport, environment in which to improve- WNBA, obviously a combination of all of these.
I don't know what the number 1 reason is, I don't think there is one. I do know that the reasons players go to UConn vary as they each want something different. The same reasons players don't come to UConn. Some want to play for a woman, some don't like UConn's location, Some don't want to play under a strict coach that demands you EARN your playing time, and won't guarantee you anything if you come there. Some coaches give guarantees and promises to lure recruits to their program. Geno hasn't, doesn't, and probably never will. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
He said he wasn't expecting to win but felt that his team simply didn't put in the effort needed to compete.......

Carnac

Reaction Score
He said he wasn't expecting to win but felt that his team simply didn't put in the effort needed to compete.......
Charlie, it's hard to compete when you've got a "boot" stuck halfway up your butt. Some teams get demoralized easily, some don't. I say that in jest, but I can understand his position. No matter what the score or the opponent, you expect your team to compete for 40 minutes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It may not change @Carnac, but Bozella expected some change. In part he was ticked because his team allowed UConn 98 in the earlier game and they learned nothing from it in allowing the 103 beat down. Don't tell me you don't want to go to the NIT, THIS IS WHO WE ARE!!!

Reaction Score
This is why I became such a fan of UCONN Women's basketball. They play a way that I just love. Just a complete joy year over year over their style of play and the players he gets; not only outstanding player's but even better people- which is even more amazing. . .

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
"Be all that you can be!" ;)
That is one slogan that I have hated since it's inception in 1981. I was the ordering officer for the U.S. Army Recruiting Support Center at Cameron Station when they came up with this slogan. All of the previous Army recruiting posters, pamphlets, and other recruiting paraphernalia had to be replaced. Everyone of the traveling trucks (semi trucks with expandable sides also some 2 ton box trucks) had to be repainted in our paint shop, a total or 24 vehicles. Then all new mobile displays had to be designed and constructed. Everyone of the graphics, photos, slogans, and even the colors had to be replaced and we had less than 3 months to do it all.

If I remember correctly that the cost of the changeover was more than 3 million dollars, that was more money than what was spent in the previous 2 years as the ordering officer, and this was only one project. They had to get special funds just for this project because our annual budget had never exceeded $500,000.00. At least it lasted for 20 years as the Army's slogan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m sure this means a great deal to Geno, since the vast majority of experienced, quality coaches are really only concerned about the opinions of two groups of people: their players and their peers. Those are the two groups who know what kind of job you truly do. Most other opinions will depend on which way the wind happens to be blowing from. It’s considered bad form for a coach to publicly criticize another coach or program unless you are willing to absorb the return fire. Might explain why Geno was a bit thin skinned about a certain, now retired, coach who opined about ESPN being the UConn channel. IIRC, the return fire was rather substantial. JMO

Reaction Score
That is one slogan that I have hated since it's inception in 1981. I was the ordering officer for the U.S. Army Recruiting Support Center at Cameron Station when they came up with this slogan. All of the previous Army recruiting posters, pamphlets, and other recruiting paraphernalia had to be replaced. Everyone of the traveling trucks (semi trucks with expandable sides also some 2 ton box trucks) had to be repainted in our paint shop, a total or 24 vehicles. Then all new mobile displays had to be designed and constructed. Everyone of the graphics, photos, slogans, and even the colors had to be replaced and we had less than 3 months to do it all.

If I remember correctly that the cost of the changeover was more than 3 million dollars, that was more money than what was spent in the previous 2 years as the ordering officer, and this was only one project. They had to get special funds just for this project because our annual budget had never exceeded $500,000.00. At least it lasted for 20 years as the Army's slogan.
When I think of “Be all you can be,” what strikes me is how ambiguous it is. You might hear it as “Be your best,” or something to that effect, which sounds pretty good. But you might also hear it as a Sad Sack slogan: “This is all you can be.” I’m not sure the next slogan was much better: “The army of ONE.” I guess it’s a tall order to catch the full range of what life in the military really is in one phrase, the full range of ideas like camaraderie, loyalty, responsibility, self-fulfillment, esprit de corps, and so on.

Reaction Score
When I think of “Be all you can be,” what strikes me is how ambiguous it is. You might hear it as “Be your best,” or something to that effect, which sounds pretty good. But you might also hear it as a Sad Sack slogan: “This is all you can be.” I’m not sure the next slogan was much better: “The army of ONE.” I guess it’s a tall order to catch the full range of what life in the military really is in one phrase, the full range of ideas like camaraderie, loyalty, responsibility, self-fulfillment, esprit de corps, and so on.
Is it more of a slogan to attract talented enlistees. The idea was, I think, that the army can provide a young person with opportunities and skills that will broaden their horizons.

Reaction Score
I’m sure this means a great deal to Geno, since the vast majority of experienced, quality coaches are really only concerned about the opinions of two groups of people: their players and their peers. Those are the two groups who know what kind of job you truly do. Most other opinions will depend on which way the wind happens to be blowing from. It’s considered bad form for a coach to publicly criticize another coach or program unless you are willing to absorb the return fire. Might explain why Geno was a bit thin skinned about a certain, now retired, coach who opined about ESPN being the UConn channel. IIRC, the return fire was rather substantial. JMO
I don’t know. I see Geno as an auricle. Coaches care about what he thinks. You can tell when they shake hands.
Especially the men. Nice little fraternity. The women a bit less so. A few are trying to skip a couple rungs of the ladder. Like AZ, Coach Abe, Coach at Iowa. Not sure they teach the integrity of the game and sportsmanship like Geno does. Kaitlyn Clark looks a fool on occasion.
I guess when they show off, essentially they are giving Geno and UConn the ultimate compliment.
You wouldn’t storm a court or field unless it meant something.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. I see Geno as an auricle. Coaches care about what he thinks. You can tell when they shake hands.
Especially the men. Nice little fraternity. The women a bit less so. A few are trying to skip a couple rungs of the ladder. Like AZ, Coach Abe, Coach at Iowa. Not sure they teach the integrity of the game and sportsmanship like Geno does. Kaitlyn Clark looks a fool on occasion.
I guess when they show off, essentially they are giving Geno and UConn the ultimate compliment.
You wouldn’t storm a court or field unless it meant something.
You probably should look up the definition of this word. ;)

Reaction Score
Lobo said it was simply because Geno was at UCONN.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is why I became such a fan of UCONN Women's basketball. They play a way that I just love. Just a complete joy year over year over their style of play and the players he gets; not only outstanding player's but even better people- which is even more amazing. . .
Same reasoms for me too. I like their style of play. I know they are not going to win evey game, but they are still fun to watch and follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom