Co-State Champions - WTF? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Co-State Champions - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Screw the rest. Championships should be won by the best team, not the best starters. Empty the bench, and keep playing. If this was the rule for all games, I see nothing but positives for all concerned.

A good number (one in ten) of games in my area end in a tie, mostly because the coaches, refs, and parents want to go home.

Rather than penalty kicks, I'd love to see a rule that says no starter can play after the first overtime. It sure would encourage a coach to use his/her bench as much as possible.

Alternately, just keep playing until someone scores.
Try instituting that rule in basketball, either high school, college or the NBA. Did the Michigan fab five have a crappy team because their bench sucked? Imagine telling Red Auerbach he couldn't play Bill Russell or Bob Cousy after the 1st OT. Did the UCONN women not win two national championships with just Diana Taurasi and a bunch of frosh, and a bench that was just a cheering section? Was Tennessee with their strong bench the best team even though they lost two years in a row? Sounds like crazy rule to me, maybe even in soccer, but then again there's baseball where they do play until someone scores even if it takes 25 innings. ;)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Try instituting that rule in basketball, either high school, college or the NBA. Did the Michigan fab five have a crappy team because their bench sucked? Imagine telling Red Auerbach he couldn't play Bill Russell or Bob Cousy after the 1st OT. Did the UCONN women not win two national championships with just Diana Taurasi and a bunch of frosh, and a bench that was just a cheering section? Was Tennessee with their strong bench the best team even though they lost two years in a row? Sounds like crazy rule to me, maybe even in soccer, but then again there's baseball where they do play until someone scores even if it takes 25 innings. ;)

Imagine telling Auebach the championship would be decided on free throws.

Regardless - I said I prefer playing the game until someone wins, with no changes, like baseball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The place kicks are stupid - perhaps the dopiest thing in sports.

Let's stop playing our game and start playing another game to see who wins - it'd be like stopping a long-tie breaker in tennis and having the players play beer pong.

They played two overtimes and couldn't come up with a winner. So be it, even if it rankles the keyboard warriors here.

Reaction Score
PK’s suck; but, after 2 sudden death overtimes (I do not like the World Cup format where the OT’s are not sudden death, it’s not American Football so the team with the ball first does not have an overwhelming chance of winning due to first possession) I simply do not know how else to decide the game. The idea of reducing field players (from 11 to 10, to 9, etc.) does not always work, too, and takes away from how it should be played, i.e. becomes more of an individual sport.
In NJ, the state playoffs go to 2 Sudden Death OT’s (10 minutes each) and then PK’s. I would favor more time (15 or 20 minute) OT’s and as the only change. County playoffs end as a tie after the two OT’s.

Reaction Score
The place kicks are stupid - perhaps the dopiest thing in sports.

Let's stop playing our game and start playing another game to see who wins - it'd be like stopping a long-tie breaker in tennis and having the players play beer pong.

They played two overtimes and couldn't come up with a winner. So be it, even if it rankles the keyboard warriors here.

Penalty Kicks are part of the game. It's the same game.

Reaction Score
Penalty Kicks are part of the game. It's the same game.

I thought he was talking about FG's in football.

The penalty kicks in soccer is just one of the myriad of problems I have with the sport (single most glaring issue is putting me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........................). NHL playoffs go into the wee hours of the AM to determine a winner. I hated the implementation of penalty shots during the regular season, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
I thought he was talking about FG's in football.

The penalty kicks in soccer is just one of the myriad of problems I have with the sport (single most glaring issue is putting me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........................). NHL playoffs go into the wee hours of the AM to determine a winner. I hated the implementation of penalty shots during the regular season, but it is what it is.

Soccer puts you to sleep but 15 innings of baseball doesn't? I would be suicidal if I had to watch that much baseball.

I think he just misnamed Penalty Kicks as Place Kicks. Place Kicks and Penalty Kicks in soccer are two different things. I think PKs are exciting. And after 90 minutes plus to overtimes, enough is enough. You have to decide a winner. It's not like they are nominating a player from each side to play checkers in the middle of the field.

And I will say something else. High School soccer is not exactly on the cutting edge of the sport. I have no idea why CT HSs do what they do, but

Reaction Score
I was at that all star game in Yankee Stadium a few years back. I left somewhere around 2am and got to my hotel in midtown and saw the ending. Was crazy. But still better than a tie.

Reaction Score
Imagine if that basketball game between UConn and Syracuse in March of 2009 at MSG ended in a tie after 2 OT’s…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom