Clippers v. Heat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clippers v. Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I only started getting into the NBA 3 years ago and now I love it. I don't have a team but I tend to like watching the high powered offenses of the West.

One guy I really enjoy watching is Rubio. He was so hyped 3-4 years ago and after a few lackluster seasons in Spain, people were calling him a bust but the guy's game translates amazingly well in the NBA. I can see him being a top 3 PG for a long time, his passing is phenomenal and has proved to be a much better shooter than originally thought.

Marshon Brooks has also opened up a lot of eyes. Doris Burke would constantly talk about him resembling Kobe during PC games and while his athleticism is nowhere near prime Kobe, he has a huge bag of moves and has great footwork like Kobe. Definitely reminds me of a very poor man's Kobe, which is a great compliment. Nice job by the Celts for moving him for Jajuan Johnson.

Agree with Prez on Jordan. He was very hyped in HS and looked like a top 10 pick but had a rough freshman year. He is now establishing himself as a force, is making about $10 mil. a year and to me. I think he is Drummond's floor.

Reaction Score
But when you consider they play 48-minute games 3-4 times a week for 8-10 months, it's really not realistic to expect them to give it their all game in and game out like guys do in college.

Good point, especially for this year. Can you imagine giving it your all every single night on a 7 game in 9 day road trip? Impossible

Reaction Score
I love college basketball and the NBA, but it's almost like watching two different sports at times. I think the talent gap between college and the pros is as wide as it's ever been, but I still find myself getting more excited for college games, even when UConn isn't playing. Not that they don't play hard in the pros, but I've always felt they play harder in college, if for no other reason than the game being shorter. It also helps that millions of dollars are at stake for some college kids, while for others, it is the chance of a lifetime to compete with future pros.

The other reason I like college basketball more is because of the shorter season. In college you play two games a week, plus you're younger, and probably more energetic. The NBA has 82 games in a normal season, and with eight teams making the playoffs, the regular season is more or less meaningless. Even when two tournament locks get together, it just feels like there is more on the line.

Lastly, the atmosphere and passionate fan bases is what makes me appreciate college basketball more. When you commit to a school, most of the time you are a member of that school for life, unlike in the NBA, where players can sign with 5-6 teams per career, almost making it seem like you're cheering for laundry at times. As a fan of a college team, you're closer to the players, and it's easier to say "These are my guys, those are your guys, let's go at it". It wouldn't be the same if Alex Oriakhi was traded for Darius Miller tomorrow. Some guys only attend college for one, maybe two years, but I still feel like you become more attached to a kid who represents your school than a pro just collecting another pay check.

Again, not trying to suggest one is better than the other, just pointing out my preference. I really think the NBA would be better served going to a six team playoff, giving the top two teams in each conference a bye, then playinig a 3 out 5 wild card round. JMO.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts on the NBA and college basketball. Lots more player loyalty in CBB, a lot of NBA fans I know are always talking about who they want to trade for or get rid of. Too many games, but I really enjoy the playoffs.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I'm a Knick fan, I've hated the heat since the 90's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watch the last two weeks of the NCAA tourney all the way through the championship game and then watch a week of the NBA.

Any basketball fan will quickly realize that less than 10 players from the best 8 teams in college will ever see a second contract and maybe 2-3 will ever play in an All-star game.

As almost everyone else here has said the skill level at every position in the NBA is ridiculous. Kevin Durant is 6'9" and drains 25' fadeaways like they're layups. PG's that can go from foul line to foul line in 2.5 seconds, etc.

That being said, the NBA has always had amazing athletes. Wilt, Dr. J, Connie Hawkins, Elgin Baylor, Oscar Robertson, David Thompson were all freaks of athletes compared to their contemporaries.

And, there's always been high skill players like Russel, Jabbar, Gervin, McHale, Magic, Bird, etc.

The variable for the NBA is the gedness of it's top stars. When it's Bird, Magic, Isaih, MJ, Olajuwon, etc things are good.

When it's Kobe, AI, and the group from the turn of the millenium, not so much.

Reaction Score
If the stars of the 80s operated in the 24/7 sports media world that we live in now they would be known as d*ckheads just like this current era.

Watch the last two weeks of the NCAA tourney all the way through the championship game and then watch a week of the NBA.

Any basketball fan will quickly realize that less than 10 players from the best 8 teams in college will ever see a second contract and maybe 2-3 will ever play in an All-star game.

As almost everyone else here has said the skill level at every position in the NBA is ridiculous. Kevin Durant is 6'9" and drains 25' fadeaways like they're layups. PG's that can go from foul line to foul line in 2.5 seconds, etc.

That being said, the NBA has always had amazing athletes. Wilt, Dr. J, Connie Hawkins, Elgin Baylor, Oscar Robertson, David Thompson were all freaks of athletes compared to their contemporaries.

And, there's always been high skill players like Russel, Jabbar, Gervin, McHale, Magic, Bird, etc.

The variable for the NBA is the gedness of it's top stars. When it's Bird, Magic, Isaih, MJ, Olajuwon, etc things are good.

When it's Kobe, AI, and the group from the turn of the millenium, not so much.

Reaction Score
Yeah, as big a fan of Bird as I am, he would be absolutely hated nowadays on a similar level to LeBron. Not only was he a gigantic trash talker on the court, but he constantly said arrogant/cocky things to the media as well.

That doesn't fly in today's world, where you get blasted for not being 100% politically correct.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
millions & millions of dollars thats being handed out to these NBA is what some fans dont like.

making 8 mill/year and averaging 6 & 4 just doesnt look right.

also the free agent stuff is wacky too... trades every 4-5yrs in your career didnt happen in the 70's & 80's.

Magic was a LAKER, Bird was a Celtic.... who is Shaq (Magic, Heat, Lakers) we're almost forgetting LeBron was a Cav first.

Caron, Ray... who are they loyal to (its not their fault but).

and as college fans who love Adrian, Rashad, etc it would be nice to see them play in the NBA long after UConn but that doesnt happen. seeing players develop is what college fans enjoy, in the NBA they want results right away.

competing for spots in the NBA is much tougher than in college where just about everyone is good

Reaction Score
The Knicks are still on the rise, and I could see them peaking as a Finals-caliber team a year or two from now once they find one more backcourt piece.

I know it's been a few weeks since this was posted, but I can't help but think about it every single time the Knicks stumble on to the court and pretend to play basketball. You didn't seriously believe that when you typed it did you?

Reaction Score
LeBron and Wade have changed with the game, nice guys coming in, level headed now you cannot fit them into a building - there are many others but there's also some good hard working players too who I tend to gravitate to if I find a sceond to watch the crap..............I respect those who love the NBA for what it is but that's the same reason I hate it. It's a joke and the start of this season has been pretty funny with the amount of teams scoring in the 40's-50's enetering the 4th quarter until they play even less defense than they already did and somehow eek out 70-8o by finla horn.

Reaction Score
I know it's been a few weeks since this was posted, but I can't help but think about it every single time the Knicks stumble on to the court and pretend to play basketball. You didn't seriously believe that when you typed it did you?

Yes? They have a lot of talent at the forward and center positions. If they trade for a respectable PG that can run the system and keep the offense flowing of course they can make a run in a year or two. Carmelo and Amare may not exactly be young, but look what the veteran Celtics did when they got flowing with Rondo.

The East is weak. The Knicks might be playing like crap right now, but I see no reason why they can't contend if they find a guard that commands the offense and doesn't just jack up 3s. I think it's kind of silly to overanalyze a short term skid and make assumptions for the team a year or two down the road.

How'd the Celtics look two weeks ago? Now they're as hot as anyone. That's how the NBA works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom