Clingan vs edey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clingan vs edey

Reaction Score
Rewatching the Bama game, refs let Clingan play. Refs swallowed whistle on all the bangbang plays we often see put players on the bench (the Nelson “dunk” comes to mind).

Zebras are being advised from above to keep the twin towers in the game.

Reaction Score
I don't think DC should try and front Edey, I could see him picking up stupid fouls trying to do that. I think the best approach is for Clingan to stand his ground like DJ did, don't let him get too deep, stays on his feet and vertical when Edey takes a shot, doesn't try to get a block unless its a totally clear opportunity, and block out the rebound. It only partially worked for DJ, he was able to keep him further from the basket than usual, but he simply wasn't tall enough for his outstretched arms to give Edey any pause on his hooks. Edey hasn't seen someone with the height and wingspan of DC yet, and will have to respect Clingan standing behind him on defense. All Clingan should want to do is not give Edey a totally clear and open look at the basket like he's used to. If he make Edey think twice and kick back out or alter even a third of his shots, that's a victory. He shouldn't necessarily be looking to reduce the number of points he scores, rather trying to reduce his efficiency.

On offense, no posting up. Any scoring should come from cuts to the basket, lobs, and offensive put backs.

As long as DC is disciplined, which he has been more recently, I'm actually not overly concerned about foul trouble. Most of the fouls that get called defending Edey are because the usually much smaller center or double/triple teams either swarm him when the ball is low, or even when they stay vertical they only reach up to Edey's elbows or forearms, which either ends up as an actual or assumed/anticipatory foul call. I don't think visually Clingan defending Edey is going to "look" like a foul to the refs in the same way since they are about the same size. Also, DC has developed a reputation as a good defender, so the refs hopefully won't assume he is fouling.

SJ on the other hand.......

Reaction Score
I thought State did a pretty good job on Edey. He had 20 points, but he also had 5 turnovers. Burns isn't tall, but he couldn't be backed down and it felt like all of Edey's moves were relatively slow. State at times doubled down and used guards to dig on him and that's where the turnovers came. State defended Purdue just fine, they didn't get the win because they couldn't throw the ball in the ocean. Edey was a big factor in that, Burns was neutralized because Edey could hold his own against him in single coverage and then State's guards and forwards were timid driving to the basket and had shots altered by Edey. Turned into a mid range jump shooting contest for State and the shots they normally knock down just didn't fall. Didn't help that the only true PG on the team went down in the early stages of the game.

My point is that Purdue isn't some unbeatable giant. Edey is a tall man, if he gets to his spots and has time to make his move and go to that hook, he's automatic. He clogs the lane on the defense and deters much from happening in there. But if you have guys who can stretch the floor and knock down jumpers then his presence is less of a factor. Clingan moves much better and is taller than Burns, however I'm interested to see if he's able to hold his ground when Edey tries to muscle his way down lower on the block. He had issues doing that against Burns, but Cligan is probably giving up 100 pounds easily to Burns so I dont know what you can take away from that.

Reaction Score
We can have one starter have an off night. More than one will be a problem. I expect a huge game from Castle. His Melo moment. Win the title and then lottery pick. I'm sure he's super motivated and hope he really attacks tonight.

Reaction Score
But beating Edey down the floor is only half the story. You also have to be able to get stops on defense in order to get out in transition and beat Edey down the floor. And UConn is one of the few teams who have someone capable of sticking with Edey 1 on 1 and covering their shooters

Like always in March, the key to success is on the defensive end. If we get stops, we win.

Our offense is innovative and brilliant in its own right, but we can't do s--- if we don't get stops.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Just spitballin'.

Is it worth trying to have Clingan front Edey? Make thst entry pass a real tight fit to throw over a 7'2" ayee but make it catchable for Edey?

Also, way too lazy to look up. What is standing reach and wing span numbers for these two?
I was thinking the same at least some of the time. Ohio State seemed to have a pretty athletic big man who disrupted passes to the post when they beat Purdue a couple of months back. Kinda why I think Samson could have a punchers chance if he ends up guarding him.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same at least some of the time. Ohio State seemed to have a pretty athletic big man who disrupted passes to the post when they beat Purdue a couple of months back. Kinda why I think Samson could have a punchers chance if he ends up guarding him.
Samson has the ability to alter and/or block some of Edey’s hooks because of his springs, but he plays defense with his hands too much as he is not particularly strong. From watching Edey, I haven’t seen him pump/up fake a ton, so coaches really need to carve into Samson’s mind to really stay vertical. I’m cautiously optimistic he can effect Edey a bit.

Reaction Score
FIFY

I’d be very happy if Edey only scores 20
Edey points were big in the first half but his kick outs to a wide open guy for a three broke NCS .
If we shut out their shooters The Big Guy can score 30 and it won’t matter a bit .
The key on the offensive end is when we go inside if he challenges dish to a cutter. Our interior passing ability can be used to create indecision.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I agree with DC establishing good defensive position behind Edey and gong straight up on challenges, particularly in the first half. Properly boxing out Edey to limit his O Rebounds will be a big key. Whoever plays 4 for them will also crash the boards very hard, so AK will also need to box out fundamentally with good position. This may be a game where Singare gets some unanticipated minutes, particularly if Samson gets quick fouls or keeps getting fouls

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Samson has the ability to alter and/or block some of Edey’s hooks because of his springs, but he plays defense with his hands too much as he is not particularly strong. From watching Edey, I haven’t seen him pump/up fake a ton, so coaches really need to carve into Samson’s mind to really stay vertical. I’m cautiously optimistic he can effect Edey a bit.

Edey does a great job creating separation for his jump hook with his lower legs and hip. Easiest way to get called for charges nowadays is creating room by pushing off with arm and elbow. Defender backs away, your arms flings out and it's easy for refs to call.

Edey is thick in the legs and can get his hip in to the defenders abs and chest and just bump them enough to be off balance. That short period of time the defender recovers their balance and he's already got his shot off. Not many bigs have Edey's lower body strength to take on the hits he delivers.

Reaction Score
I’m no coach, but i’ve wondered gor a while what a giant like Clingan attempting to front Edey would look like. I’d imagine it would be incredibly hard getting it over him, and with Steph on Braden Smith most likely, that would toughen the entry pass even more.

I know @husky429 coaches, any thoughts on dabbling in that strategy?
The other issue with fronting is that, DC will be out of position for any rebound. Giving up OR to a 7'4" is not a good. Over the back fouls are also a possibility. The more I think about it the less I like this strategy.

Reaction Score
We can have one starter have an off night. More than one will be a problem. I expect a huge game from Castle. His Melo moment. Win the title and then lottery pick. I'm sure he's super motivated and hope he really attacks tonight.
I see him playing inside and out. Drive, create midrange shots, bring Edey out then attack the basket. Both he and Cam have the ability to destroy the 12-18 ft range game.

I don't know how Purdue will be able to slow down this offense, especially if we have Alex and Tristan hitting 3s. 8 hours away

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
In the Alabama game, DC started with the big block to intimidate, and then actually played a bit passively for the rest of the first half (for Donovan, passive is a relative term as he was still active and menacing, he just didn't go up for many blocks). This allowed him to remain in the game for an extended (for him) 29 minutes, and the second half was what it was.

Look for a similar first half, with several opportunistic sprints down court, and don't be surprised if DC has a few extra assists when Edey struggles to get back and one of the other players has to leave their man to cover Donovan in transition. And then in comes Samson.

Damn, I love the makeup of this team.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
If you take a little bit of what State did, add our superior overall length and speed, and our swarming on ball defense to create confusion and turnovers, I like our chances. As Hurley always says it all starts with defense and rebounding. We still haven't played our best game, and I'm expecting to see that tonight.

Reaction Score
I see him playing inside and out. Drive, create midrange shots, bring Edey out then attack the basket. Both he and Cam have the ability to destroy the 12-18 ft range game.

I don't know how Purdue will be able to slow down this offense, especially if we have Alex and Tristan hitting 3s. 8 hours away
Need Tristen to attack more than he did last game, and not settle for the deep wing 3s. Steph should post up his defender, unless Renn is guarding him, then AK should post up his defender. Have DC give some space in the post to draw out Edey slightly. Inside out game could work well.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If we did any fronting, it would be with another guy and having DC playing off a non-shooter in help.

But against Edey, I don’t think that makes as much sense either unless they played 2 bigs/DC and a wider body.

It doesn’t make as much sense with our roster, IMO.

We need to play straight up w DC,
Dig down with guards ideally not off of their shooters but then not full doubles, just scrapes and digs and recover. Let DC guard straight up and minimize the big 3s.

Reaction Score
If you take a little bit of what State did, add our superior overall length and speed, and our swarming on ball defense to create confusion and turnovers, I like our chances. As Hurley always says it all starts with defense and rebounding. We still haven't played our best game, and I'm expecting to see that tonight.
The center for state was quite rotund…and moved as slow as Edey, but 6 inches shorter. I don’t see how Edey can keep up with DC

Reaction Score
While not the best matchup in the world for the time he is in, SJ has gone up against DC in practice for 2 years. He also held his own against Kalk, and Soriano in the first game when DC was out. Here’s to SJ doing his part.

Reaction Score
At this point I do not think that you change what you do. Putting Clingan in an unfamiliar place by fronting Edey does not seem to be in keeping with their character.

An then there are people who say that Clingan and especially Johnson can beat Edey down the floor. Just about every center in Dev 1 can do that as well, but Purdue has prevailed regardless. It's going to be a tough game, but I suspect our guard play advantage will be the difference.
Watched Purdue’s last two games, and Edey kind of jogged back on the with every change of possession or rebound. Slow! The big man had both games seemed like they had their feet and mud. Clingan and Johnson run them into the ground.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watched Purdue’s last two games, and Edey kind of jogged back on the with every change of possession or rebound. Slow! The big man had both games seemed like they had their feet and mud. Clingan and Johnson run them into the ground.

Going with that theme, with DC and Johnson getting back on D and Edey working his way down the court, it lets DC and Johnson get position on the blocks and then go up and meet Edey at the FT line or even 3 point line and force Edey to use that energy to back them back down to the block. If Edey is going to meander, make him move someone while he's doing it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom