Clemson BOT says NO to Big12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clemson BOT says NO to Big12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Syra, like Pitt, has a much better history in FB than UCONN but recent results are nothing that anyone can use to argue that they are a top program as far as on the field performance.

HUH? so you are a proponent of #suckharder? how do recent results not reflect on field performance? what the hell are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Wow, somebody needs to get a life considering you either remember that post or took the time to go back and do the research to find it.

I used Syracuse simply to make a point. The poster that I responded to said WVU was better than Clemson and cited last year's Orange Bowl. I looked at WVU's schedule for last year, found the crappiest team that beat them by a wide margin and made the same argument.

Syra, like Pitt, has a much better history in FB than UCONN but recent results are nothing that anyone can use to argue that they are a top program as far as on the field performance.

Accusing people of being a Syracuse fan seems the be the standard message board attack on this subforum, i.e. "I don't lie what you said, you must be a Syracuse fan!" Particularly if you post anything remotely questioning whether FSU and Clemson are going to the Big 12. Which is odd considering neither movement has any effect on UConn (or Syracuse for that matter). But I'm trying to use logic on the Internet, and that's probably not a good idea. Just drink the Kool-aid and no one will care...

Reaction Score
Well ...
Have both FSU and Clemson actually said no, or did one or both fail to receive an immediate Big 12ish invitation or simply acknowledge the ACC's an easier road than going through UT, OU, and whichever other schools are top programs from year-to-year?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Accusing people of being a Syracuse fan seems the be the standard message board attack on this subforum, i.e. "I don't lie what you said, you must be a Syracuse fan!"

Maybe, but truth is a defense for libel.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Have both FSU and Clemson actually said no, or did one or both fail to receive an immediate Big 12ish invitation or simply acknowledge the ACC's an easier road than going through UT, OU, and whichever other schools are top programs from year-to-year?

Hard to tell. It appears that there is an ongoing negotiation that hit a sizable speed bump, and now Clemson is pledging eternal fealty to the ACC. We will probably never know why there was a 180 degree about face.

Reaction Score
Per the article:

The Clemson Board of Trustees met Wednesday afternoon, not only to discuss tuition increases, but to let two of Clemson’s head coaches give their opinions on a potential move to the Big 12.

Head football coach Dabo Swinney and head basketball coach Brad Brownell joined the meeting via teleconference to give their opinions on a potential move, according to Board of Trustees Chairman David Wilkins.

“Obviously, it makes sense to include the entire Clemson family on this, and we asked the coaches to share their opinion with us,” Wilkins told TigerNet Wednesday evening. “Coach Brownell and Coach Swinney were nice enough to spend a few minutes with us. We asked them for their opinion, and they shared their thoughts. They were on the call for a short period of time.”

Then he goes on to say:

“We are 1000 percent in the ACC,” Wilkins told TigerNet. “There are no offers, no discussions and we are concentrating on being the best we can be in the ACC.”

Someone posted this on the Clemson board:

If this was to put a rest to the rumors:

1. Why even ask the coaches for their opinion? If there's no discussions, no contact, no talks, no negotiations, what do the coaches opinions matter?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I used Syracuse simply to make a point. The poster that I responded to said WVU was better than Clemson and cited last year's Orange Bowl. I looked at WVU's schedule for last year, found the crappiest team that beat them by a wide margin and made the same argument.

That's correct. And when the poster (me) responded back to you, showing you the last 10 years of data that spelled out why WVU was the superior team to Clemson, the poster (me) did not hear back from you. I know that you know the poster (me) was right. It would have been nice to see you post "good point."

So when you don't rescind your comical statements, don't expect other posters to either, right?

Reaction Score
That's correct. And when the poster (me) responded back to you, showing you the last 10 years of data that spelled out why WVU was the superior team to Clemson, the poster (me) did not hear back from you. I know that you know the poster (me) was right. It would have been nice to see you post "good point."

So when you don't rescind your comical statements, don't expect other posters to either, right?

From what I remember you classlessly patted yourself on the back at the end of your post so I assumed you did not need warm and fuzzies from me.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
From what I remember you classlessly patted yourself on the back at the end of your post so I assumed you did not need warm and fuzzies from me.

It wasn't me who was due your meaningless "warm and fuzzies." If I recall correctly, it was Fishy's post that you were trying to shoot down with your crazy Clemson>WVU rhetoric, and that is who I was expecting you would man up to and say "perhaps I was wrong." Then again, Fishy is 6'6", 250, so perhaps he won't require your mea culpa either...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Funny. Not in the least. Sometimes common sense rules. Florida State in the Big 12 doesn't make sense.

Yep. Institutions turn down $100 million of additional revenue all the time. Good call.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yep. Institutions turn down $100 million of additional revenue all the time. Good call.

You are right, they generally don't. Yet there are Clemson and FSU are still in the ACC. So either that differential isn't real, they aren't interested in moving even for the money or the Big XII doesn't want them. Now the Big XII added West Virginia and has an incentive to get to 12 teams. Which reason do you think is most likely?

Reaction Score
Here's the latest from my guru at UT who is very well plugged in.

"Right now, the B 12 is standing pat.This could change when the ESPN deal gets renegotiated .....now Sept 1 ....for the playoff format. That is what my sources are saying. It seems to be consistent.
I did think that 2 weeks ago, CU and FSU to the Big 12 was a done deal."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You are right, they generally don't. Yet there are Clemson and FSU are still in the ACC. So either that differential isn't real, they aren't interested in moving even for the money or the Big XII doesn't want them. Now the Big XII added West Virginia and has an incentive to get to 12 teams. Which reason do you think is most likely?

Texas has been on the record as liking 10 teams. I think, as I said in the Notre Dame thread a week or so back, that the Irish would make a feint to the Big 12 to try and freeze expansion, and that appears to be exactly what happened. Texas either fell for it, or simply used it as an excuse to stand pat. They probably looked at FSU and Clemson the same way the ACC looks at Rutgers and UConn. They don't need to add us, and if they don't add us, we may just go away on our own. If they can get ND, great, if not, they go with 10 teams, including 6 that are among the Top 15-20 programs in the country right now. Why split the playoff money 2 more ways, and why bring Clemson and FSU in if they are not a threat to make the playoffs out of a crappy ACC anyway?

I suspect that support for expansion is split, with the non-Texas schools preferring a larger conference and Texas and Oklahoma preferring a smaller one. Looks like Texas got its way.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

"Right now, the B 12 is standing pat.This could change when the ESPN deal gets renegotiated .....now Sept 1 ....for the playoff format. That is what my sources are saying. It seems to be consistent.

If I was UNC, I would demand a Grant of Rights right now. FSU and Clemson have no where to go but the Big 12, and the Big 12 appears to have gotten up from the table. The SEC or Big10 would take a look at UNC, so they have the upper hand now within the ACC. It would be a good time to strike.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That William Goldman quote seems to work here, "Nobody knows anything"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Texas has been on the record as liking 10 teams. I think, as I said in the Notre Dame thread a week or so back, that the Irish would make a feint to the Big 12 to try and freeze expansion, and that appears to be exactly what happened. Texas either fell for it, or simply used it as an excuse to stand pat. They probably looked at FSU and Clemson the same way the ACC looks at Rutgers and UConn. They don't need to add us, and if they don't add us, we may just go away on our own. If they can get ND, great, if not, they go with 10 teams, including 6 that are among the Top 15-20 programs in the country right now. Why split the playoff money 2 more ways, and why bring Clemson and FSU in if they are not a threat to make the playoffs out of a crappy ACC anyway?

I suspect that support for expansion is split, with the non-Texas schools preferring a larger conference and Texas and Oklahoma preferring a smaller one. Looks like Texas got its way.

Maybe but it's awfully complicated and goes against schools leaving money on the table since they get paid for a championship game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If I was UNC, I would demand a Grant of Rights right now. FSU and Clemson have no where to go but the Big 12, and the Big 12 appears to have gotten up from the table. The SEC or Big10 would take a look at UNC, so they have the upper hand now within the ACC. It would be a good time to strike.

I think you're right on this. At the least it would force FSU's hand. I think every other school would be in. I never thought they would leave. The incremental payout difference is merely the reflection of these contracts. Who knows what the next contracts look like? It's certainly not enough, after subtracting travel costs for all programs, to make up for the $20M payout. It reflects very short term thinking. The ACC will not be marginalized in the playoff, the states it represents have too much clout. Whether it fields a worthy team is another story. An unbeaten VT or FSU would definitely be in.

Reaction Score
I will still be a little surprised if we've heard the last of Florida State to the B-12. Could well be that the Notre Dame fake was enough to give Texas what it wanted for the moment, but I would guess that there will continue to be a push for 12 teams if Notre Dame ultimately backs off (when Notre Dame backs off) and Florida State is the logical addition with the Irish or with someone else. to me the 2nd school is very much up for grabs, though...I never thought Clemson was the first choice. they and Louisville both are about equal. I'd push ofr VaTech if it were me.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Wait. I thought these were all done deals? FSU and Clemson to the Big 12. NCSt and VT to the SEC. Maryland, Virginia, UNC and Rutgers to the B1G.

What happened?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

You talk out of both sides of your mouth. You spent more time pimping ACC teams to the BiG and SEC than you did talking about ND feinting to freeze expansion.

Reaction Score
What about Jerry Jones and a Big 12 championship at his place? They have to be trying to get to 12 teams by next year no matter how the BCS meetings playoffs turn out, no?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ark is being very quiet right now. I smell a something....,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads