Clearly...Geno has to go. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clearly...Geno has to go.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
This response in defense of any criticism to Geno is getting old. If memory serves me, the last 2 years, when the games actually mattered, she is 2-0. Even this year, with a bad team, she was running plays that got her players open shots.

If you knew anything about coaching types, you would know that Game Prep Coaching is a lot different than In Game Coaching.

You are playing one of the taller teams in the country and you are sitting your tallest starter in the 4th quarter of a close game. That doesn't sound like good In Game Coaching to me.
You have your OPINION and I have mine.
And for your "If you knew anything about coaching types", what ever I honestly reply would get my account suspended so I will leave it at that.

Don't bother to reply because I am going to select the I button, as I do when ever I encounter certain types of posters especially ones like you!!!

Reaction Score
This response in defense of any criticism to Geno is getting old. If memory serves me, the last 2 years, when the games actually mattered, she is 2-0. Even this year, with a bad team, she was running plays that got her players open shots.

If you knew anything about coaching types, you would know that Game Prep Coaching is a lot different than In Game Coaching.

You are playing one of the taller teams in the country and you are sitting your tallest starter in the 4th quarter of a close game. That doesn't sound like good In Game Coaching to me.

I don't know "in-game vs prep." But c'mon-- giving credit for ND having open shots??? Seriously???

So what are we supposed to do?? Look back at the history of Geno vs Muffett and compare "who had the most open shots?"

So when Stewart or Tuck had great position because their 4 foot shot was contested - that is supposed to show Muffett/ good for ND because the 4 foot shot was contested?

I think you have a point about ONO in some manner. I'm not arguing this or agreeing. But did Geno say why he didn't play ONO? But you also have to concede that sometimes great coaches get disgusted with their players. As a fan we have different perspectives. We say "just play them." Yet I've seen Jim Calhoun pull Donyell Marshall in a close game and I read in the paper at the time he told Donyell to paraphrase, "You're embarrassing yourself and that's why you're going to sit." I remember he benched him and it was a big deal.

Anyways, Geno has done the same-- I think it was vs Pittsburgh when he pulled Charde and I believe Tina-- I know definitely Charde. They almost lost. He said he didn't care. These are coaching styles from all-time great coaches. I have to consider that in a January game. How is it that ONO is going 0-8 from the floor? Do you feel it is acceptable for a player of ONO's talent to go 0-8 from the floor while taking mostly inside shots? As a fan you could probably care less. But maybe all-time great coaches have a different way in dealing with a player whom they might feel is playing absolutely awful basketball in relation to their talent.

You might be right about ONO-- but regarding ND - you're bringing up "open shots" as any kind of excuse for ND I find way off-base.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't know "in-game vs prep." But c'mon-- giving credit for ND having open shots??? Seriously???

So what are we supposed to do?? Look back at the history of Geno vs Muffett and compare "who had the most open shots?"

So when Stewart or Tuck had great position because their 4 foot shot was contested - that is supposed to show Muffett/ good for ND because the 4 foot shot was contested?

I think you have a point about ONO in some manner. I'm not arguing this or agreeing. But did Geno say why he didn't play ONO? But you also have to concede that sometimes great coaches get disgusted with their players. As a fan we have different perspectives. We say "just play them." Yet I've seen Jim Calhoun pull Donyell Marshall in a close game and I read in the paper at the time he told Donyell to paraphrase, "You're embarrassing yourself and that's why you're going to sit." I remember he benched him and it was a big deal.

Anyways, Geno has done the same-- I think it was vs Pittsburgh when he pulled Charde and I believe Tina-- I know definitely Charde. They almost lost. He said he didn't care. These are coaching styles from all-time great coaches. I have to consider that in a January game. How is it that ONO is going 0-8 from the floor? Do you feel it is acceptable for a player of ONO's talent to go 0-8 from the floor while taking mostly inside shots? As a fan you could probably care less. But maybe all-time great coaches have a different way in dealing with a player whom they might feel is playing absolutely awful basketball in relation to their talent.

You might be right about ONO-- but regarding ND - you're bringing up "open shots" as any kind of excuse for ND I find way off-base.

Don't you know? Open shots is the new metric in this age of analytics. Of course the defense could be giving up open shots for a reason, e.g., crappy shooters, but let's not confuse matters. ND is top 5 in open shots this season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OMG, I CAN NOT believe that supposed Uconn Women Basketball Fans can turn on Geno with one loss. You should ashamed of yourselves. He gave you a decade of enjoyment, has a young inexperience team, ranked #1, gets beat by a better team and you throw him under the bus. Shame, Shame, Shame...
A decade? Umm it's been a couple/3 decades. :cool:

Reaction Score
A decade? Umm it's been a couple/3 decades. :cool:

As fans, we cant criticize?? Listen, no is taking away the fact that over the last 25 years, Geno has built the most dominant WCBB (and perhaps extended to other college programs) ever. But, let's face it. The last 4 years has been less than stellar in terms of recruiting and winning when it counts. Part of that is on Geno. Even, he'll admit to that. The AAC is an absolute joke. CD would be undefeated (or close to it) over the last 4 years coaching against the AAC teams. I wont rehash the last 3 FF exits, but those were not Geno's best coaching moments. And, this year's team is a following a similar pattern to failing in big games.

Reaction Score
As fans, we cant criticize?? Listen, no is taking away the fact that over the last 25 years, Geno has built the most dominant WCBB (and perhaps extended to other college programs) ever. But, let's face it. The last 4 years has been less than stellar in terms of recruiting and winning when it counts. Part of that is on Geno. Even, he'll admit to that. The AAC is an absolute joke. CD would be undefeated (or close to it) over the last 4 years coaching against the AAC teams. I wont rehash the last 3 FF exits, but those were not Geno's best coaching moments. And, this year's team is a following a similar pattern to failing in big games.

Devil's advocate...was it Geno's fault we ran out of gas in the fourth against Baylor OR was it his coaching that kept us in the game (against a better opponent) for the first three quarters?

Reaction Score

Man-- I picked a heckuva day to read many posts!!!

Why don't I start a thread like you did and make a preposterous pov and say "Geno Auriemma is the worst coach in America." Then when I get ripped I can hide behind the comment that you are and claim "As fans, we cant criticize?"

IMO you are completely off track. The last 4 years "less than stellar?" I can't believe what i'm reading. "less than stellar?" -- less than stellar?? --- less than stellar??? Ohh MY God-- go to the men's board and see what they'd feel if the men had the same "less than stellar" 3-4 seasons!!!!!!

I think it's clear here. For some there is only one game that counts. Every other game doesn't matter except when they lose in January during the reg season. Then losing in January means everything. Dynasty over etc. And if you don't win the championship then obviously anything else accomplished is less than stellar.

In 16-17 and 17-18 they were 36-1 both season's. Got to the Final Four both times yet that doesn't matter. I've heard everything now. Two season's of 36-1 in which you get beat by last second jump shots in the final four "is less than stellar" and any game that you've won up until that point "is not winning when it counts."

Yikes!!!! :)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember 2012-13? Talk about doomsday. We sucked big time! We lost to Baylor, then twice to Notre Dame (home and away). Then Notre Dame beat us in the BE tourney. Then in the National semis, there is Notre Dame in the way again. Anyone remember? Anyone?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
People act like we're supposed to win a championship every single year. That is not the way sports work.
Yeah I have a long memory I can remember last March and I can also remember the March before and I can remember ...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You like to quote Geno when pointing things out so let me. Geno has said that strings of undefeated seasons and years of of winning consecutive championships an unsustainable feat. He cited and an increased pool of talent and the availability of better coaching.

Look at the screen shot below. It’s outstanding, truly, but would it have been possible if the current crop of outstanding players and coaches had been around? People like to complain about the AAC but the Big East 30 years ago was just as crappy except for a couple of teams. The competition was basically Tennessee, ODU, La Tech, Virginia, Penn State, Stanford, and Texas.

But let’s say this is our new reality, 3-5 possible losses each year instead of just showing up and intimidating the opponent into a win, so what? You’ve posted the same complaint three times since Thursday. Is this our new reality, too?

7D7067DB-BB32-48F2-8A86-63B30F796596.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
.... But, let's face it. The last 4 years has been less than stellar in terms of recruiting and winning when it counts.

Pardon my ignorance. I recognize that UCONN didn't win the "big prize", but please name a team more successful over the past 4 years.

I'm going to agree with Geno - some are only fans of winning - not of the game!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember 2012-13? Talk about doomsday. We sucked big time! We lost to Baylor, then twice to Notre Dame (home and away). Then Notre Dame beat us in the BE tourney. Then in the National semis, there is Notre Dame in the way again. Anyone remember? Anyone?
Yes. I watched the replay last night and that was the start of something historical, basketball wise.

Centerstream

Reaction Score

In 16-17 and 17-18 they were 36-1 both season's. Got to the Final Four both times yet that doesn't matter. I've heard everything now. Two season's of 36-1 in which you get beat by last second jump shots in the final four "is less than stellar" and any game that you've won up until that point "is not winning when it counts."

And to many "fans" and Keyboard Coaches here on the BY, completely Geno's fault for these losses because the GOAT can't coach or recruit anymore. UFB.

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous theme. Geno is the best coach in wbb history. Is he perfect? Of course not. The last person thought to be perfect was nailed to a cross. In recent years I thought he didn’t properly utilize Azura Stevens, costing one national championship and possibly influencing her not to return for her final year of eligibility. You could also argue that he failed to bring in bigs in recent recruiting classes but sometimes that involves recruiting high school kids with minds of their own. In the big picture, these “failures” don’t detract from a life long career as the GOAT of coaching.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
CD is responsible for training the bigs. CD didn't prepare ONO properly for Lauren Cox, and thanks to ONO, UConn lost the game. Therefore, Geno should fire CD. You're welcome.

Reaction Score
Every basketball player is born with certain skills. ONO is tall and right now that is about all I see.
She does not have great rebounding ability. She does not jump to get rebounds for she tends to tip the ball to teammates or only grab balls that come to her. When she goes against other bigs her offensive skills are limited.

Lauren Cox ate her up and and she was "0"for ONO. Therefore Geno took her out.

Reaction Score
lol. This is a down year for UConn, as low I as can see them being anytime soon, and they are still National Champ contenders. Next year they will be amazing again. Bueckers is a big time star.

Reaction Score
CD is responsible for training the bigs. CD didn't prepare ONO properly for Lauren Cox, and thanks to ONO, UConn lost the game. Therefore, Geno should fire CD. You're welcome.
Lauren Cox is the Big12 Conference defensive POY, not to mention the best defensive player Liv has faced this year. If these teams meet again, Liv will be ready. Cox is amazingly intuitive and quick defending the post.

Reaction Score
Every basketball player is born with certain skills. ONO is tall and right now that is about all I see.
She does not have great rebounding ability. She does not jump to get rebounds for she tends to tip the ball to teammates or only grab balls that come to her. When she goes against other bigs her offensive skills are limited.

Lauren Cox ate her up and and she was "0"for ONO. Therefore Geno took her out.
No .. Liv is a GREAT shot blocker and a VG rebounder .. and LC dint eat her up; Cox scored mostly from the perimeter; she was wide open bcuz UConn was 'packing it in' protecting the paint, eh?

JBK

Reaction Score

Why don't I start a thread like you did and make a preposterous pov and say "Geno Auriemma is the worst coach in America." Then when I get ripped I can hide behind the comment that you are and claim "As fans, we cant criticize?"

IMO you are completely off track. The last 4 years "less than stellar?" I can't believe what i'm reading. "less than stellar?" -- less than stellar?? --- less than stellar??? Ohh MY God-- go to the men's board and see what they'd feel if the men had the same "less than stellar" 3-4 seasons!!!!!!

I think it's clear here. For some there is only one game that counts. Every other game doesn't matter except when they lose in January during the reg season. Then losing in January means everything. Dynasty over etc. And if you don't win the championship then obviously anything else accomplished is less than stellar.

Gino has created something incredibly special for all of us in the state of CT. I cannot believe how engaged I am to this team. With that said, all great leaders adjust and adapt some change to their methodology.
Fact. We have had lots of transfers lately and a very limited bench. I know that may change next year with renewed recruiting. !!
Fact. I think we were all yelling with 5 minutes to go in the Baylor game that we needed a spark and fresh legs and ONO may have been that player with Cox getting tired.
I was frustrated that we had 2 players on the court that was afraid to shoot in crunch time and therefore most of the attention was on our tired guards.
Aubrey can be special and needs to play and Anna is a very smart player and needs confidence. I know the bar is set unfairly high every year, and this is a tribute to Gino.
The only way that may be achieved this year is with ONO and one of the freshman getting consistent time and contribution. I know Gino has a unique way of teaching, but I was hoping he played ONO ( vs punishing her) and who knows - a block or a basket can get a player going. Baylor had way too many easy baskets in quarter 4

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As fans, we cant criticize??
Sure, go for it. But don't whine and complain when more realistic posters point out how silly your criticism's are.

But, let's face it. The last 4 years has been less than stellar in terms of recruiting and winning when it counts.
Well, every year isn't gonna be stellar. Can't be. As for recruiting;
2016-2017 - Dangerfield class, yea not a great class, but on the other hand we'd just had 3 pretty good classes the 3 years prior. (Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck, Williams/Nurse/Ekmark/Edwards, and KLS/Collier/Boykin - 7AA's) Recruiting runs in cycles, you don't get great years every year.
2017-2018- Walker/Coombs/AEH/Gordon, on paper looked pretty good. Ranked pretty high. But fell apart. Still will most likely get an AA out of it
2018-2019 - Williams/ONO, one of the best classes in the country. Probably get 2 AA's out of it. Already 2 starters and part of the core 4 as Sophs.
2019-2020 - Makurat/Griffin, not a great one, but a couple pretty good players who are contributing some as FR.

Yea, UCONN has missed a few, but recruiting has still been pretty damn good. And the next couple of years look off the charts. As they will, since recruiting runs in cycles.

As for winning;
90-6 isn't good enough huh? (90-6 that's a 94% winning percentage) I do believe most of those games counted. Besides a couple of those losses came on miraculous last second shots. Without which UCONN might have had another NC or 2. But hey, sometimes other teams make miraculous last second shots.

The AAC is an absolute joke.
Yea, not a whole lot anyone can do about it though. And the BE isn't gonna be that much better. (for WBB anyway) In fact, pretty much any league wouldn't be all that challenging for UCONN. That's what happens when you're that good. That's why UCONN tries to play a challenging OOC schedule. But you're not gonna win all the challenging games. They're challenging. That's the way it works.

I wont rehash the last 3 FF exits, but those were not Geno's best coaching moments. And, this year's team is a following a similar pattern to failing in big games.
UCONN has had 6 undefeated seasons. An undefeated season is not normal. 6 is unbelievable. So far out of the norm, not even chart-able.

The other 5 were: 1-loss, 1-loss, 4-loss, 4-loss, 1-loss. Those are closer to normal. There was no way UCONN was going to go undefeated this season. Nobody is. That's the way basketball is supposed to work. This fantasy land some UCONN fans think UCONN lives in isn't real.

Just be happy you got a good team to follow. With a decent chance at a FF. An outside chance at a NC. Man, THAT, is a great year. That's the way it's supposed to work. If you're not happy unless UCONN goes undefeated and wins a NC, well as you can see, you're not gonna be happy very often.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Gino has created something incredibly special for all of us in the state of CT. I cannot believe how engaged I am to this team. With that said, all great leaders adjust and adapt some change to their methodology.
Fact. We have had lots of transfers lately and a very limited bench. I know that may change next year with renewed recruiting. !!
Fact. I think we were all yelling with 5 minutes to go in the Baylor game that we needed a spark and fresh legs and ONO may have been that player with Cox getting tired.
I was frustrated that we had 2 players on the court that was afraid to shoot in crunch time and therefore most of the attention was on our tired guards.
Aubrey can be special and needs to play and Anna is a very smart player and needs confidence. I know the bar is set unfairly high every year, and this is a tribute to Gino.
The only way that may be achieved this year is with ONO and one of the freshman getting consistent time and contribution. I know Gino has a unique way of teaching, but I was hoping he played ONO ( vs punishing her) and who knows - a block or a basket can get a player going. Baylor had way too many easy baskets in quarter 4
Welcome to the board. I'm glad that you are so engaged to the team. But, please remember that the name is spelled Geno.

Centerstream

Reaction Score

Welcome to the board. I'm glad that you are so engaged to the team. But, please remember that the name is spelled Geno.
Or GOAT. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom