Classy Azzi After Game #2 | The Boneyard

Classy Azzi After Game #2

Reaction Score
I stayed past the end of the Marquette/St John’s game, so a late exit.

As I turned the corner to head to the Indian Summer Garage there was Azzi Fudd with her arms outstretched around two fans posing for a selfie. I stopped in my tracks as Azzi is in sweats leaning against a table where two friends sit with what look to be pot-luck leftovers. The guy behind me is jaw-dropped too as he blurts out to his wife, “OMG there’s Azzi”.

All three of us stop and gawk as the fans struggle with selfies, so the guy behind me offers to assist. I’m just standing in a dead gawk when the photo guy asks if I want one too?

I can’t help myself and ask Azzi if she has time for a photo – Azzi with all the grace and dignity one can imagine says, “sure, come on up”. I’m a bit nonplussed but manage to tell her both “thank you” and how grateful we all are that she is back – Azzi smiles, the photo guy shoots us and then asks Azzi for he & his wife – Azzi once again gives some folks a super memory. All of us were seniors by the way.

This appeared totally impromptu and unplanned and I would not be surprised if there were others before & after what I saw.

Azzi easily could have begged off saying, “sorry three hundred fan selfies is my daily limit” or “gee guys I’m actually waiting on something personal” or any score of “guess what I’m really tried” thoughts. But she accommodated all of us – and likely others.

Class, patience, humility, kindness – such a nice complement to a decent human being and mega star.

Reaction Score

As I turned the corner to head to the Indian Summer Garage there was Azzi Fudd with her arms outstretched around two fans posing for a selfie. I stopped in my tracks as Azzi is in sweats leaning against a table where two friends sit with what look to be pot-luck leftovers. The guy behind me is jaw-dropped too as he blurts out to his wife, “OMG there’s Azzi”.

All three of us stop and gawk as the fans struggle with selfies, so the guy behind me offers to assist. I’m just standing in a dead gawk when the photo guy asks if I want one too?

I can’t help myself and ask Azzi if she has time for a photo – Azzi with all the grace and dignity one can imagine says, “sure, come on up”. I’m a bit nonplussed but manage to tell her both “thank you” and how grateful we all are that she is back – Azzi smiles, the photo guy shoots us and then asks Azzi for he & his wife – Azzi once again gives some folks a super memory. All of us were seniors by the way.

This appeared totally impromptu and unplanned and I would not be surprised if there were others before & after what I saw.

Azzi easily could have begged off saying, “sorry three hundred fan selfies is my daily limit” or “gee guys I’m actually waiting on something personal” or any score of “guess what I’m really tried” thoughts. But she accommodated all of us – and likely others.

Class, patience, humility, kindness – such a nice complement to a decent human being and mega star.

She was very gracious to us as well and took a picture, as was her mother sitting off to the side with her dog Stewie.

Reaction Score
@caseyb7 What a lovely story! One thing that can always be said about any UConn player, no matter how long they play here, is there are extremely gracious and classy.

I was also lucky to get a photo with Azzi after the game — she was swarmed by people the second she came out of the tunnel but she was very kind and patient with everyone who asked for a photo or autograph! It’s a great memory to have.

Not to hijack your thread but I’ll post my picture here in hopes that you share yours as well. :)

Attachments

• F08A3B16-B68B-47C2-BDE2-77581ED49D10.jpeg
    F08A3B16-B68B-47C2-BDE2-77581ED49D10.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 252
Reaction Score
Geno and the staff go the extra mile to recruit the "right" type of UCONN WBB prospects!
The way the prospect treats team members, coaches, managers, fans, school grades etc. are taken into consideration.
A true story - Rebecca Lobo as a freshman after a game was joking with teammates about the UCONN fans being so clinging and bothersome.
CD heard her and called her aside and read her the riot act that she better not ever her Rebecca not respect the fans as they are the life-blood of our program and she should respect them at ALL times!
Rebecca said that was one of many life lessons she learned at UCONN!

Reaction Score
@caseyb7 What a lovely story! One thing that can always be said about any UConn player, no matter how long they play here, is there are extremely gracious and classy.

I was also lucky to get a photo with Azzi after the game — she was swarmed by people the second she came out of the tunnel but she was very kind and patient with everyone who asked for a photo or autograph! It’s a great memory to have.

Not to hijack your thread but I’ll post my picture here in hopes that you share yours as well. :)
Nice! You're tall. Azzi is 5'11". What are you? About 1.25 Hartley units?

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score

Totally OUTSTANDING !!!!

Reaction Score
Azzi is indeed wonderful. The whole team is. Here’s some from a few weeks ago at a men’s game. The team sat a couple rows in front of us. I was too shy to ask for a photo but stalked them instead. Lol
D91BBF14-A069-4C41-8932-ABF2E8A0C4B8.jpeg

Attachments

• 4EC42154-0BB9-45A8-8161-73E96FD2D053.jpeg
    4EC42154-0BB9-45A8-8161-73E96FD2D053.jpeg
    864 KB · Views: 183
Reaction Score
Geno and the staff go the extra mile to recruit the "right" type of UCONN WBB prospects!
The way the prospect treats team members, coaches, managers, fans, school grades etc. are taken into consideration.
A true story - Rebecca Lobo as a freshman after a game was joking with teammates about the UCONN fans being so clinging and bothersome.
CD heard her and called her aside and read her the riot act that she better not ever her Rebecca not respect the fans as they are the life-blood of our program and she should respect them at ALL times!
Rebecca said that was one of many life lessons she learned at UCONN!

Per Rebecca Lobo...

With her media role I see her often at games, sometimes lucky enough to sit very close. Every break she is besieged by fans for selfies, how are yas, love yous, and autographs - and I have never seen her do anything save say "yes" and smile.

One game I couldn't resist as we stood facing each other after a telecast - and told her I thought she was an even better sports analyst than player. She smiled and said she still enjoys it.

One face-to-face I'll share with Rebecca's colleague Holly Rowe after Stanford squeeked out a win over Arizona at the Covid reduced National Championship Game in San Antonio a couple years back. After the game we were next to the court opposite the broadcast side and, lo & behold, Holly comes walking across ten feet in front of us. One of our ladies couldn't resist and said, "Hi Holly", Holly stopped a moment to step over and ask how we liked the game and chat before moving on. She interacted with us (star-struck fans) the same way she comes across on TV - NICE!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Per Rebecca Lobo...

With her media role I see her often at games, sometimes lucky enough to sit very close. Every break she is besieged by fans for selfies, how are yas, love yous, and autographs - and I have never seen her do anything save say "yes" and smile.

One game I couldn't resist as we stood facing each other after a telecast - and told her I thought she was an even better sports analyst than player. She smiled and said she still enjoys it.

One face-to-face I'll share with Rebecca's colleague Holly Rowe after Stanford squeeked out a win over Arizona at the Covid reduced National Championship Game in San Antonio a couple years back. After the game we were next to the court opposite the broadcast side and, lo & behold, Holly comes walking across ten feet in front of us. One of our ladies couldn't resist and said, "Hi Holly", Holly stopped a moment to step over and ask how we liked the game and chat before moving on. She interacted with us (star-struck fans) the same way she comes across on TV - NICE!
Have you ever seen Steve Rushin’s published love letter, um article about Rebecca? She loves her fans.

This article made me tear up a little

Reaction Score
Have you ever seen Steve Rushin’s published love letter, um article, about Rebecca? She loves her fans.

What a wonderful husband and writer!

Reaction Score
Have you ever seen Steve Rushin’s published love letter, um article, about Rebecca? She loves her fans.

That just brought a tear to my eye too! What a wonderful article about Rebecca. She is truly adored by all of UConn nation and by many, many others as well. And such a gracious woman.

Reaction Score

Wonderful and humorous story. Thanks for sharing. Teared me up too.

Reaction Score
Have you ever seen Steve Rushin’s published love letter, um article about Rebecca? She loves her fans.

HuskyNan- - Thank you for sharing that article! It got to me too!

Reaction Score
She was very gracious to us as well and took a picture, as was her mother sitting off to the side with her dog Stewie.
How could any UConn player not be nice to the owner of a dog named "Stewie?''

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom