Class Rankings for 2019-2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Class Rankings for 2019-2020

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Even then, most of our role players in the past were pretty highly ranked.

Just title teams:

Starters
PG - KEA (Top 15, McAA)
SG - Moore (Top 40)
SF - Hamilton (Top 25, McAA)
PF - Freeman (Top 50)
C - Voshkul

Bench
G - Jones (Top 45)
G - Mouring (Top 75)
PF - Saunders (Top 75)

Starters

PG - Brown (Top 15, McAA)
SG - Gordon (Top 40)
SF - Anderson (Top 25)
PF - Boone (Top 75--what services had him ranked were a bit over the map)
C - Okafor (Top 100--what services had him ranked, had him around 80)

Bench

G/F - Brown (Top 40)
F - Villanueva (Top 10, McAA)

Starters (sort of)

PG - Kemba (Top 15, McAA)
SG - Bazz (Top 75...but reclassed)
SF - Lamb (Top 75)
PF - Roscoe (Top 35)
C - Oriakhi (Top 20, McAA)

Bench

G/F - Coombs-McDaniel (Top 50)

Starters

PG - Bazz (Top 75)
SG - Boat (Top 60)
SF - Giffey
PF - Daniels (Top 20)
C - Brimah

Bench

G - Omar (Top 40)
F - Facey (Top 100)

This is to say that the 2014 team was a bit of an anomaly, though the brilliance of the Top 3 were no joke.

The era of 1 and dones isn't long. Kentucky with Calipari is the one who really instituted it in 2010. We've won 2 in that era. Kentucky and Duke each won a title with 1-and-dones, though. And the teams that win may not have 1-and-dones, but they have been stocked with Top 25-50 players.

We caught lightning in a bottle in 2014. Imagining we could recreate that again is absurd.
Can you do the 2009 F4 team as well? I think their rankings were a bit all over the board.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If we strike out on Kofi and or Precious, who will we be filling the other scholarships with? Wahab?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
If we strike out on Kofi and or Precious, who will we be filling the other scholarships with? Wahab?
Wahab is all but gone to PITT. I don’t foresee us landing Achiuwa. 50% on Cockburn. If we miss on Cockburn we’re probably going the Grad transfer route for next year, then focusing on a big for 2020.

Reaction Score
When the talent catches up to the level of coaching we have, we will be cutting down nets again.

AW, feel free to quote me on that.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Tzz, don't want to quote your responses, but I do want to cite them. We don't land the top players, we don't land many burger boys, we win with lower ranked recruits than everyone else typically wins with. We land a lot of top 75 or top 100 guys (3 and 4 star recruits), and we don't land many top 20 or top 10 recruits (5 star) The few we have landed are not the players that led us to NC's. The data cited mostly confirms this

We never land the type of class Dook, UK, KU & UNC tend to land almost every year. Geno lands those classes, neither Jim nor Kevin have. I think the one very good class Kevin landed did nothing for us. I don't worry about recruits, never have, things have always managed to work out. I'm happy with that # 75 guy Squid & K don't think twice about. I will never forget how much this board bashed the 2010 incoming class, that just can't be denied.

Reaction Score
Tzz, don't want to quote your responses, but I do want to cite them. We don't land the top players, we don't land many burger boys, we win with lower ranked recruits than everyone else typically wins with. We land a lot of top 75 or top 100 guys (3 and 4 star recruits), and we don't land many top 20 or top 10 recruits (5 star) The few we have landed are not the players that led us to NC's. The data cited mostly confirms this

We never land the type of class Dook, UK, KU & UNC tend to land almost every year. Geno lands those classes, neither Jim nor Kevin have. I think the one very good class Kevin landed did nothing for us. I don't worry about recruits, never have, things have always managed to work out. I'm happy with that # 75 guy Squid & K don't think twice about. I will never forget how much this board bashed the 2010 incoming class, that just can't be denied.

I think our teams outperformed their class rankings but you are down paying our recruiting success.

Since 2003, (the data prior to that is probably available but would take me longer than 2 minutes to find): 6, 23 (but Gay was top 5 and Price top 30), 15, 23, 4, 252 (just Bev), 7, 8, 23, 33 (two man class of DD, 5 and Boat, top 60), 29 (not including AD, #2 in his while class), 37, 46, 47, 8, 84, 116. There is a pretty strong correlation in team quality versus recruiting. The downward trend in our program is very much explained NY recruiting. 14 was bailed out by Shabazz being a God and way exceeding expectations. Mid 90s to 20011 we probably were around the 5th best in recruiting and the best in performance. We did more with less than Duke, UNC, UK but we had more than just about everyone else.

Reaction Score

I think our teams outperformed their class rankings but you are down paying our recruiting success.

Since 2003, (the data prior to that is probably available but would take me longer than 2 minutes to find): 6, 23 (but Gay was top 5 and Price top 30), 15, 23, 4, 252 (just Bev), 7, 8, 23, 33 (two man class of DD, 5 and Boat, top 60), 29 (not including AD, #2 in his while class), 37, 46, 47, 8, 84, 116. There is a pretty strong correlation in team quality versus recruiting. The downward trend in our program is very much explained NY recruiting. 14 was bailed out by Shabazz being a God and way exceeding expectations. Mid 90s to 20011 we probably were around the 5th best in recruiting and the best in performance. We did more with less than Duke, UNC, UK but we had more than just about everyone else.
Just going by old media guides I have...

Top 100: Donny Marshall, Eric Hayward, Kevin Ollie, Sam Funches, Jake Voskuhl

Top 50: Rudy Johnson, Brian Fair, Travis Knight, Kirk King, Kevin Freeman, Michael LeBlanc, Rashamel Jones, Antric Klaiber, Ricky Moore, Marcus Cox, Albert Mouring, Edmund Saunders, Scott Hazelton

Top 25: Ray Allen, Tony Robertson, Taliek Brown, Caron Butler, Khalid El-Amin, Doug Wrenn

Top 5: Donyell Marshall, Richard Hamilton

Other guys of note:
Doron Sheffer - top international prospect picked UConn over Kentucky, Miami, Temple, Seton Hall
Johnny Selvie - NJCAA player of the year, first team junior college AA

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks we won those 4 National Championships without some real serious talent is delusional.

Bazz was probably the biggest pleasant surprise of all, but he turned himself into an incredibly clutch performer who simply refused to lose.

Reaction Score
Wahab is all but gone to PITT. I don’t foresee us landing Achiuwa. 50% on Cockburn. If we miss on Cockburn we’re probably going the Grad transfer route for next year, then focusing on a big for 2020.
Or that Scottish kid, forget his name

Reaction Score

I disagree. If Hurley wanted Wahab and any other player from Pitt for that matter Hurley will get them.

Reaction Score
Or that Scottish kid, forget his name

You're not thinking of Aidan Igiehon, from Ireland, who is committed to Louisville, are you? Is there a Scottish player considering us?

Reaction Score
We’re still in the running for Mitchell right?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It would put us 6th behind Louisville and above Kentucky.

1544189836105.png

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This is to say that the 2014 team was a bit of an anomaly, though the brilliance of the Top 3 were no joke.
We caught lightning in a bottle in 2014. Imagining we could recreate that again is absurd.

2014 is NOT the model. If we rely on that, we might very well never win another. Something was in the air that March. And Shabazz just became a monster. Every single guy elevated their game for some reason. Perhaps, Shabazz was our MJ. I think his play and attitude instilled belief in everybody else, and I also think they feared him a little.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
2014 is NOT the model. If we rely on that, we might very well never win another. Something was in the air that March. And Shabazz just became a monster. Every single guy elevated their game for some reason. Perhaps, Shabazz was our MJ. I think his play and attitude instilled belief in everybody else, and I also think they feared him a little.

There are some delusional people who still think the best team won in 2014. That team played way over their heads down the stretch. It happens in all sports, including both times the Giants beat the Pats in the superbowl. I remember some Cardinals teams that had no business making the playoffs winning the World Series. It's amazing when it happens, but it's definitely not the model.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There are some delusional people who still think the best team won in 2014. That team played way over their heads down the stretch. It happens in all sports, including both times the Giants beat the Pats in the superbowl. I remember some Cardinals teams that had no business making the playoffs winning the World Series. It's amazing when it happens, but it's definitely not the model.

What they did have was the best player in the tournament (the way he was playing). It's hard to bet against that in basketball, given so few guys on the court.

Reaction Score
I keep forgetting they have Gaffney as a 3 star, that's insane.

The general consensus on Gaffney at this point is that he's a three-star player. Why is that "insane?"

Reaction Score
The general consensus on Gaffney at this point is that he's a three-star player. Why is that "insane?"
Having watched Gaffney play it’s easy to see why he’s much better than a 3* recruit
Out of the big 3 sites, he's a 4 star on 247 and ESPN. Rivals not having him Top 150 is why his composite is a 3 star. High 3 star/low 4 star, the difference isn't big enough to be too credible either way.

Not sure he'll be ready for the physicality of the next level right away. I wouldn't expect too much next year personally. Even for Bouknight that may be a problem. I think they'll both be 3P% dependent as freshmen, which is no sure thing.

Reaction Score
Because he's ranked 154th, that's insane. You might think he's the 154th best player in his class. I don't.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You're not thinking of Aidan Igiehon, from Ireland, who is committed to Louisville, are you? Is there a Scottish player considering us?

I don't blame him for not following UConn recruiting incredibly closely.

Reaction Score
Because he's ranked 154th, that's insane. You might think he's the 154th best player in his class. I don't.

It's not about what I do or don't think. You're stating that the independent scouting services, which have given Gaffney a composite ranking of 3 stars, are "insane." How much have you actually watched him play?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's not about what I do or don't think. You're stating that the independent scouting services, which have given Gaffney a composite ranking of 3 stars, are "insane." How much have you actually watched him play?
@Burnsbros23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom