Class-Action Suit, TRO Challenges UConn Hegemony | The Boneyard

Class-Action Suit, TRO Challenges UConn Hegemony

Reaction Score
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — In a bombshell dropped on the eve of the NCAA’s Women’s College Basketball Final Four and Title Game, a coalition of non-profit organizations has filed a class-action lawsuit challenging the right of the University of Connecticut to further participate in women’s college basketball. The suit—commenced in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, and captioned Citizens United For Basketball Equity (“CUBE”) et al. v. University of Connecticut Board of Trustees et al.—alleges that the Connecticut Huskies Women’s basketball team has for nearly 30 years engaged in a disturbing pattern of unmitigated competitive excellence, resulting in an overwhelmingly disproportionate record of success and achievement, all coming at the expense of other Division I schools, teams, coaches, players and fans.

The 179-page CUBE complaint states numerous causes of action, including: Violation of The Sherman Act; Tortious Interference With Contract; Strict Liability Misrepresentation; Fraud; Conspiracy; Product Disparagement; and Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. The complaint seeks $3.25 billion in money damages, as well as punitive damages and an injunction against further participation in college basketball at any level of competition. In addition to the University’s Board of Trustees, the complaint names numerous current and former Huskies team members, including Rose Lobo-Rushin, Suzanne Bird, D. Lorena Taurasi, Maya A. Moore, B.K. Stewart, Paige Bueckers, and Molly Bent.

“People are flat-out sick and tired of the constant abuse inflicted by UConn women’s basketball,” explains CUBE’s lead counsel, Attorney Antony D. Borelli. “Year in and year out, it’s the same damn thing—national championships, final four appearances, AA First-Team selections, Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year, first-round WNBA draft picks, undefeated seasons. It just never freakin’ stops! And we’ve had enough. Something has to be done!”

CUBE’s request for a temporary restraining order, filed within 48 hours of UConn’s NCAA tournament quarter-final victory over the Baylor University Lady Bears, is currently poised for a decision whether to enjoin the NCAA from going forward with its April 2, 2021 national championship semi-final game pitting the Huskies against the University of Arizona Wildcats.

Huskies’ longtime head coach Luigi “Geno” Auriemma expressed disbelief and frustration at the news of the CUBE suit. “When you win a lot, some people get mad. I get it. But the thing to do is get better, not sue the other guy. I mean, what next? a ‘Right To Win’ law?” Freshman Saylor Poffenbarger, team member and also a defendant, echoed Auriemma’s remarks: “Finals are coming up, and I have a term paper due the second week of April. Is there some way the judge could give me an extension? Or maybe I should ask for an incomplete?”

A ruling on the TRO is expected prior to game-time Friday. Meanwhile, the suit is expected to remain in litigation for the indeterminate future given jurisdictional issues affecting Huskies foreign nationals as well as underage recruits named as party defendants.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — In a bombshell dropped on the eve of the NCAA’s Women’s College Basketball Final Four and Title Game, a coa
Connie, if you would, please hand me the wire cutters and needle nose pliers so I can remove your hook from my gullet since I swallowed hook, line, and sinker. :D

Reaction Score
CUBE also complains : UConn always gets the best HS players. Even not so great players entering UConn will become a great player. All those are not fair to other school.

As for this girl Paige Bueckers, she is so ridiculous good should not be allowed to play ang college basketball for fairness. Even her coach said she should go to WNBA now.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
CUBE also complains : UConn always gets the best HS players. Even not so great players entering UConn will become a great player. All those are not fair to other school.

As for this girl Paige Bueckers, she is so ridiculous good should not be allowed to play ang college basketball for fairness. Even her coach said she should go to WNBA now.
Hey. Let the WNBA have her during summer and UConn otherwise. Everyone is happy

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Well done Jonathan Swift.

Isn't he the guy who wrote "A Modest Proposal", describing the current state of ND WBB?

"One of my favorite posts in a long time."

Hmmmmm.... thought he was a small forward.

image.jpeg

"A Modest Proposal For preventing the Children of Poor People From being a Burthen to Their Parents or Country, and For making them Beneficial to the Publick, The essay suggests that the impoverished Irish might ease their economic troubles by selling their children as food to rich gentlemen and ladies.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I guess I'll have to get used to @connie posts and make sure I'm NOT drinking coffee at the time. Just spent 10 minutes cleaning my screen and desk. Thanks for one of the best April Fools jokes I've seen in years, and may you have many, many, many more to come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom