Clarification on extra year of eligibility | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clarification on extra year of eligibility

Reaction Score
I think we have some pretty big holes. I think we need another ball handler, a scoring wing to replace Bouk, another big man (if Whaley or Carlton don't come back), and I don't think the team has enough 3 point shooting
i mostly agree but dont think another ball handler is as big a hole. we'll have 3 competent PGs plus AJ. hopefully one of the open schollys will go to a G/W that isnt one dimensional i.e. can handle/shoot/score

Reaction Score
A few mentions on Polley not wanted back and the point has been made already but why wouldn't you want a sharp shoot, especially on this roster, back SPECIFICALLY because if he leaves you literally can't replace his scholarship, if he stays it doesn't count against you, and he really doesn't do enough to demand a ton of minutes by transferring. A world where down the stretch next season we see him sub offensively and just force the defense to spread on the parameter is HUGE. Agree on Josh he needs to leave it's what's best for him, go find some minutes big man. Whaley literally is a late bloomer I really believe he could be a monster next year and it would be a rotation on Sanogo, Akok, and Whaley. When's the last time we had that dominating of a low? Again if we had a bunch of guys that were capable of creating their own shot and making threes I would consider the Polley argument but we don't and he might be the best pure shooter in the conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A few mentions on Polley not wanted back and the point has been made already but why wouldn't you want a sharp shoot, especially on this roster, back SPECIFICALLY because if he leaves you literally can't replace his scholarship, if he stays it doesn't count against you, and he really doesn't do enough to demand a ton of minutes by transferring. A world where down the stretch next season we see him sub offensively and just force the defense to spread on the parameter is HUGE. Agree on Josh he needs to leave it's what's best for him, go find some minutes big man. Whaley literally is a late bloomer I really believe he could be a monster next year and it would be a rotation on Sanogo, Akok, and Whaley. When's the last time we had that dominating of a low? Again if we had a bunch of guys that were capable of creating their own shot and making threes I would consider the Polley argument but we don't and he might be the best pure shooter in the conference.

Creating his own shot? When has he ever done that? He's not the best pure shooter in the conference. He's not the best shooter on the team. He is the best 3 point shooter if he is wide open and can shoot off the catch. He misses nearly everything else he takes. For that, you get a 6'9" guy who can't defend guards, wings, or bigs, who can't dribble very well, isn't a good passer and who doesn't rebound.

The argument is that we have this roster. We also have an open scholarship, two if Bouk goes NBA. So we can add a grad transfer with a much broader skill set than Polley has, and a freshman if needed.

PG: Cole, Gaff, Diggins
SG: Hawkins, Adams, Gaff/Cole, Jackson
SF: Martin, Jackson, Hawkins, Adams
PF: Akok, Johnson, Springs, Whaley
C: Sanogo, Whaley, Springs

Reaction Score
If I was an incoming freshman I would be super ticked. How many games will our seniors actually miss? Just a knee jerk reaction to what some thought would be a cancellation of the season.
It could certainly create imbalance. A program which currently has several seniors would benefit vs. a program which has no seniors. Perhaps the rules for incoming freshmen and transfers would be altered to create opportunities for the disadvantaged programs.

Reaction Score
I know I’m in the minority, but as long as these kids get the full season I wouldn’t want anyone to come back just so we can be better next year. They had their 4 years and I’m ready for the next crop of kids to get their chance.

Reaction Score
Creating his own shot? When has he ever done that? He's not the best pure shooter in the conference. He's not the best shooter on the team. He is the best 3 point shooter if he is wide open and can shoot off the catch. He misses nearly everything else he takes. For that, you get a 6'9" guy who can't defend guards, wings, or bigs, who can't dribble very well, isn't a good passer and who doesn't rebound.

The argument is that we have this roster. We also have an open scholarship, two if Bouk goes NBA. So we can add a grad transfer with a much broader skill set than Polley has, and a freshman if needed.

PG: Cole, Gaff, Diggins
SG: Hawkins, Adams, Gaff/Cole, Jackson
SF: Martin, Jackson, Hawkins, Adams
PF: Akok, Johnson, Springs, Whaley
C: Sanogo, Whaley, Springs
No intention to say he can create his own shot. My point regarding that is we don't have anyone really that can do that outside of Bouk who likely will be gone. This roster needs that spot up guy that doesn't really demand minutes but can make a defense honor the line for another guard trying to create space. The fact he doesn't demand huge minutes but brings a single skill that is high level makes him unlikely to transfer and be more successful elsewhere as a grad transfer and also a low cost depth piece on a team that lacks perimeter shooting. Really easy to say you can find that elsewhere. Watch how quickly teams switch to zone again on us when Polley isn't a threat. for years that's been the go to against uconn......we haven't seen much zone this year.

Reaction Score
I know I’m in the minority, but as long as these kids get the full season I wouldn’t want anyone to come back just so we can be better next year. They had their 4 years and I’m ready for the next crop of kids to get their chance.
A full season is 30+ games. UConn is going to be lucky to play 20 + tournaments.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Shooters are important. He's not going to carry the offense but he can absolutely shoot it if that's what's being asked of him and other guys are freeing him up for shots. Jackson is never going to be a plus shooter at the college level. Diggins's strength is not his outside shot. Hawkins is supposed to be a good shooter but I'm reluctant to say we couldn't use a kid who can make threes, which are such a huge equalizer in today's game. It makes the game so much harder for a variety of reasons if you don't have a reliable guy who can fill it up from outside.

Unfortunately he has not demonstrated that he can consistently hit the outside three and is so one dimensional on offense that that defending him is not that difficult. He offers nothing on defense and at 6-9 cannot rebound. Unless he really shows something down the stretch this year in the way of consistency on offense I can't even see him getting the minutes he gets. I just think he's reached the limit of his game at this level. Bringing him back to take someone else's minutes and would cause problems by limiting the minutes of the players who we are trying to develop for the next three and four years. With the talent (and competition level) rising guys coming in are going to have to be able to shoot threes and that just takes practice and time. It seems that all the player we have or are coming in have that tough defense mentality of Hurley and Polley doesn't (yet) Shots have to be developed if all these kids are going anywhere when they graduate or sooner and they won't get playing time if they don't work on that outside shot and free throws in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom