Clarification on extra year of eligibility | The Boneyard

Clarification on extra year of eligibility

Reaction Score
There will probably be a lot of talk about this given the news today and figured this would be important to share.

Yes, the NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility to everyone that is playing college basketball this year. However, there hasn't been any update on how that extra year will impact scholarship limits yet.

Here's how it's being handled for Fall sports, per the Washington Post:

For fall sports, seniors who return for an extra season during the 2021-22 academic year will not count toward the team’s scholarship limit. However, in the years that follow, schools cannot exceed the limit, even though athletes on the team still would be allowed extra eligibility. In those cases, if schools choose to let athletes use their extra season of eligibility, it would effectively take away that scholarship from incoming recruits. The Division I Council’s announcement did not specify whether those same rules would be applied for winter sports.

So if the same rule applies to Winter sports (which you would hope it would), Whaley/Polley/Carlton can return without counting towards the scholarship limit.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That addresses scholly limits, but it doesnt address kids heads about playing time.

Im salivating at the fact of getting Whaley, Carlton and Polley back next year. Could you imagine what those kids under 4 years of Hurley would do? You couldnt NOT play them. And that is over pretty much any 5 star you can think of (except for a few elite in the country that I can count on one hand) . Even then, if anything, weve ever learned especially as Husky fans in the game of CBB, is experience trumps raw talent.

The flipside of that is 4 star and aboves incomings traditionally dont want to wait their turns. We actually may be TOO deep for some of our recruits, and I think that may have been a large factor in Javonte Brown Ferguson's decision.

Reaction Score
If we could get Polley and Whaley back next year after their growth this year WATCH OUT. Now I'm sure their is a large group of teams saying that but WOW. Jackson year two, Akok a full recovery, and Whaley on the floor all at the same time? What's the record for blocks per game? Then Sanogo is going to be an absolute monster next year (15 and 8 every single night) he would be headed to the NBA next year if it still valued bigs like the 90's. Great incoming freshman class. I think the NCAA rule change for this year might benefit us more than most if I'm understanding it correctly. E8 or bust next year?

Reaction Score
for sanogo's sake we can't keep both whaley and carlton. he did not sign up for that. i had been expecting brown to transfer this summer based on the assumption 1 of the seniors would return. don't wanna put sanogo in the same position of there being 3 Cs getting minutes. we could really use either of them next year but not both.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
for sanogo's sake we can't keep both whaley and carlton. he did not sign up for that. i had been expecting brown to transfer this summer based on the assumption 1 of the seniors would return. don't wanna put sanogo in the same position of there being 3 Cs getting minutes. we could really use either of them next year but not both.

Its a good point, and not to be callous but Josh would be odd man out, either way, so the question is can he take the bench time?

So your point about it being unfair to sanogo is a good one, but is seems sonogo has won that war, can you imagine how fair it is to incoming Frosh next year? (not just at UConn but across the board)

They are the real ones who are going to take the hit on the eligibility amnesty.

Its going to be a wild west decommit/transfer scenario this spring/summer across the whole CBB landscape.

Reaction Score
Its a good point, and not to be callous but Josh would be odd man out, either way, so the question is can he take the bench time?

So your point about it being unfair to sanogo is a good one, but can you imagine how fair it is to incoming Frosh next year?
agreed but we arent bringing in another frosh C one year before we hope to land clingan. the guys this would impact most are sanogo and akok.

if whaley returns he would be taking one of their starting spots and neither would be very happy (we have to assume/hope akok is ready to be the 5* recruit he was). carlton, on the other hand, would simply come off the bench for sanogo. the question is whether he'd be happy playing ~10 mpg for a tourney team or starting at a midmajor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is probably a silly question - but I assume if a senior returns they still need to be a full time student? Meaning if they are on track to graduate on time they would have to enroll in a grad program?

Reaction Score
agreed but we arent bringing in another frosh C one year before we hope to land clingan. the guys this would impact most are sanogo and akok.

if whaley returns he would be taking one of their starting spots and neither would be very happy (we have to assume/hope akok is ready to be the 5* recruit he was). carlton, on the other hand, would simply come off the bench for sanogo. the question is whether he'd be happy playing ~10 mpg for a tourney team or starting at a midmajor.
I would be so sad to see Josh go the Grad Transfer route - but that might make sense for him, not so sure if you can raise your European contract value with a strong year at a mid-major but might be nice to get more minutes - he has the tools to be a double double guy with 25 plus min a game.

Reaction Score
Imagine a perfect world where:
a) Bouknight’s injury influences a return next season
b) Isaiah and Tyler return for a 5th year
c) The extra scholarship thing works itself out without any issues

This would be the most talented and exciting team since.... 2006?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think we’d take another year of Whaley. I don’t think we’d want another year of the other two. Josh is a nice player who would do really well at a place like UVM. Polley is simply too limited. We have several young guys coming in, plus Akok should be healthy. I’d rather grab some other team’s senior wing, somebody with athleticism who can defend, attack the basket and handle the ball. Anybody who is graduating doesn’t need to sit out.

Reaction Score

So your point about it being unfair to sanogo is a good one, but is seems sonogo has won that war, can you imagine how fair it is to incoming Frosh next year? (not just at UConn but across the board)

They are the real ones who are going to take the hit on the eligibility amnesty.

Its going to be a wild west decommit/transfer scenario this spring/summer across the whole CBB landscape.
Can the seniors like Carlton, Polley and Whaley transfer and still use that extra year, or is it only if you stay with your current school?

Reaction Score
I think we’d take another year of Whaley. I don’t think we’d want another year of the other two. Josh is a nice player who would do really well at a place like UVM. Polley is simply too limited. We have several young guys coming in, plus Akok should be healthy. I’d rather grab some other team’s senior wing, somebody with athleticism who can defend, attack the basket and handle the ball. Anybody who is graduating doesn’t need to sit out.
Whaley and Carlton I'm with you on and don't think you'll get any disagreement from most of the board on. The only reason I'd potentially be fine with Polley coming back is he wouldn't take up a scholarship like recruiting a transfer shooter would so you can use that to fill a different hole on the roster

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
For fall sports, seniors who return for an extra season during the 2021-22 academic year will not count toward the team’s scholarship limit. However, in the years that follow, schools cannot exceed the limit, even though athletes on the team still would be allowed extra eligibility. In those cases, if schools choose to let athletes use their extra season of eligibility, it would effectively take away that scholarship from incoming recruits. The Division I Council’s announcement did not specify whether those same rules would be applied for winter sports.

So if the same rule applies to Winter sports (which you would hope it would), Whaley/Polley/Carlton can return without counting towards the scholarship limit.
It doesn't seem like it based upon what you posted, unless I'm missing something.

Reaction Score
Imagine a perfect world where:
a) Bouknight’s injury influences a return next season
b) Isaiah and Tyler return for a 5th year
c) The extra scholarship thing works itself out without any issues

This would be the most talented and exciting team since.... 2006?
Haha, this is closer to UConntopia than a perfect world - but a fan can dream

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The more interesting question is doesn't UConn have anyone they pick up from another team?

Reaction Score
It doesn't seem like it based upon what you posted, unless I'm missing something.
if for fall sports, seniors can return for an extra season without counting toward the team’s scholarship limit, then if the same rule applies to Winter sports, Whaley/Polley/Carlton would not count towards the scholarship limit either. we could have 16 schollys next year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whaley and Carlton I'm with you on and don't think you'll get any disagreement from most of the board on. The only reason I'd potentially be fine with Polley coming back is he wouldn't take up a scholarship like recruiting a transfer shooter would so you can use that to fill a different hole on the roster

I get that, but I don’t think he adds anything and could hinder minutes for other key guys. Doesn’t really fit our style of play. With Brown leaving we’ve got scholarship room to add a grad transfer, and this extra year of eligibility should mean a flood of grad transfers will be available. What are we doing with that scholarship otherwise?

Reaction Score
If I was an incoming freshman I would be super ticked. How many games will our seniors actually miss? Just a knee jerk reaction to what some thought would be a cancellation of the season.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
With malice toward none Josh will not be playing for UConn next year. He needs to find a school where he will get at least 20+ minutes next year. There are many schools that would love to have his size and experience.

Reaction Score
Obviously every teams graduating seniors can return next year, not just UConn.

Maybe I’m mis-understanding the excitement here but how does this give us an advantage?

Reaction Score
Can someone explain the reason for doing this?
"We felt it was important to make this decision now so student-athletes had the peace of mind to go into this season and compete," Calhoun told ESPN on Wednesday. "They know they can regain that eligibility and have their clock automatically extended, so they're not taking that chance on the front end if they choose to compete."

Reaction Score
"We felt it was important to make this decision now so student-athletes had the peace of mind to go into this season and compete," Calhoun told ESPN on Wednesday. "They know they can regain that eligibility and have their clock automatically extended, so they're not taking that chance on the front end if they choose to compete."

I agree with Auriemma. I don't like it.

Reaction Score
I get that, but I don’t think he adds anything and could hinder minutes for other key guys. Doesn’t really fit our style of play. With Brown leaving we’ve got scholarship room to add a grad transfer, and this extra year of eligibility should mean a flood of grad transfers will be available. What are we doing with that scholarship otherwise?
I guess it could cause a logjam in terms of minutes but in looking at next year's team I think we have some pretty big holes. I think we need another ball handler, a scoring wing to replace Bouk, another big man (if Whaley or Carlton don't come back), and I don't think the team has enough 3 point shooting

Reaction Score
I get that, but I don’t think he adds anything and could hinder minutes for other key guys. Doesn’t really fit our style of play.

Shooters are important. He's not going to carry the offense but he can absolutely shoot it if that's what's being asked of him and other guys are freeing him up for shots. Jackson is never going to be a plus shooter at the college level. Diggins's strength is not his outside shot. Hawkins is supposed to be a good shooter but I'm reluctant to say we couldn't use a kid who can make threes, which are such a huge equalizer in today's game. It makes the game so much harder for a variety of reasons if you don't have a reliable guy who can fill it up from outside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom