Clamps - The D is truly impressive. No easy shots. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Clamps - The D is truly impressive. No easy shots.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Defense travels even when offense doesn’t. I just don’t know how you can beat this team. Would take a miracle at this point
Whoa, whoa, whoa… Ease off on the reigns there hoss.

scared season 3 GIF

Reaction Score
Interesting Chin you saying Newton was solid throughout, you should have been in the Chat room some people were calling for him to be benched.
Yeah, he had a few wtf moments, mostly shooting. But overall he was solid. A calming influence.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge Newton fan. He was not very good today. Couldn't shoot a lick, lost his dribble at inopportune times (like he drove and gained an advantage and then had a high dribble so had to keep going through the baseline instead of getting a layup), Clingan threw a pass at his head and he just missed it.

Only thing he did well was clean up the d-boards well, but most of those he was just rebounding over our own guys. We'll see how he charts out on my re-watch, but my initial impression watching live was I thought it was one of his worst games.
He's too good of a scorer to be turning down shots he creates in the lane. It's not a big deal because we're so good but once he gets back to not overthinking it/always looking for the pass we become even scarier.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's too good of a scorer to be turning down shots he creates in the lane. It's not a big deal because we're so good but once he gets back to not overthinking it/always looking for the pass we become even scarier.
Yeah. He’s too good a scorer not to start hitting shots. When he does, with Alleyne figuring it out, Joey and Karaban, well, pick your poison, but poisoned you will be.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm a huge Newton fan. He was not very good today. Couldn't shoot a lick, lost his dribble at inopportune times (like he drove and gained an advantage and then had a high dribble so had to keep going through the baseline instead of getting a layup), Clingan threw a pass at his head and he just missed it.

Only thing he did well was clean up the d-boards well, but most of those he was just rebounding over our own guys. We'll see how he charts out on my re-watch, but my initial impression watching live was I thought it was one of his worst games.
Winning is so forgiving. I can picture each of the 3s hit once each by AJax, Alex, Joey, and Tristen. I can picture Tristen (finally) going to the basket, drawing the flagrant, and calmly sinking 2 free throws. I can literally recall 14 of the total 16 points from that quartet. They grabbed 24 rebounds.

Reaction Score
Defense travels even when offense doesn’t. I just don’t know how you can beat this team. Would take a miracle at this point
I think to beat this team youre going to need depth, defense, rebounding and be a prolific scoring team. I think a Gonzaga could beat us. Maybe and Arizona or Tennessee could give us problems but im not sure. Im not saying we are unbeatable because upsets happen all the time and we are bound to lose a game or two during the season but i cant think of a team in conference that automatically comes to mind. These other teams i mentioned i dont think theyd beat us i just think they can match up better than most but they have their flaws. We may well get to the point this season that the only team that can beat Uconn is Uconn. I still think pg could be a problem and cost us but im not sure.

Reaction Score
Yeah. He’s too good a scorer not to start hitting shots. When he does, with Alleyne figuring it out, Joey and Karaban, well, pick your poison, but poisoned you will be.
Ive been one of his biggest critics but it was nice to see him play under control tonight. He hit shots because they were good shots. He didnt turn the ball over and he passed the ball. He also played very good defense. If he can understand that that is all he needs to do he will score points and be a huge plus for this team. I mean Diarra and Alleyne all they need to do is take the shot when its there and it makes sense, secure the ball and be absolute demons on defense for 10 minutes a night. Do that? Our backcourt because as strong as our frontcourt.

Reaction Score
I think a team will need to be silly hot from 3 to beat us. Butler missed several open 3, but not enough to make a game of it
Perhaps but our perimeter d will be about the only left to be unchecked but I’m fairly sure we are rather elite in that department right now. This is where Samson will help as well. We are closing out sooooo fast right now it’s insane.

Reaction Score
I said in the chat that our team defense is suffocating precisely because our individual defense is excellent. Our on-ball defenders rarely need help, or if they do, it's a simple double and relaxing off when the drive is shut down. There isn't a lot of rotation needed, switching, mismatches, or any of the situations that undress lesser defenses.

That's the sort of thing that's hard to beat with coaching, and what team is going to out-talent us at that end?
That’s one thing I noticed about Sanogo in the game, his defense on Bates backing in to the basket was excellent. Only problem he had was Bates was wide open for those top of the key jumpers. The UConn coaches should have known that Bates can drain that, because it looked like the UConn defense was backing off those shots.

Reaction Score
Newton wasn't great but he was solid. Played 32 minutes, D was consistent, was off.

Like the rest of you, I'd love for him to tighten up his handle in the paint and have a better game plan in the paint but he was fine tonight.
Newton has not had a great shooting night in a while, he’s way overdue.

Reaction Score
That’s one thing I noticed about Sanogo in the game, his defense on Bates backing in to the basket was excellent. Only problem he had was Bates was wide open for those top of the key jumpers. The UConn coaches should have known that Bates can drain that, because it looked like the UConn defense was backing off those shots.

Coaches are going to let Bates take those shots all day. You force the other team into bad shots... if they make 'em--so be it.

Reaction Score
Coaches are going to let Bates take those shots all day. You force the other team into bad shots... if they make 'em--so be it.
If Bates makes those shots all day, they’ll win by 20. Great logic. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If Bates makes those shots all day, they’ll win by 20. Great logic. :rolleyes:

Well it's exactly what our coaches did and we won by 22 points.

It doesn't mean you don't defend the shot and get a hand up, it means you take away the layup and the 3 first, so the only shot left is a contested foul line jumper.

The more posts of yours I ready, the more I realize you really just don't understand the game of basketball. Glad you're a fan though

Reaction Score
Ive been one of his biggest critics but it was nice to see him play under control tonight. He hit shots because they were good shots. He didnt turn the ball over and he passed the ball. He also played very good defense. If he can understand that that is all he needs to do he will score points and be a huge plus for this team. I mean Diarra and Alleyne all they need to do is take the shot when its there and it makes sense, secure the ball and be absolute demons on defense for 10 minutes a night. Do that? Our backcourt because as strong as our frontcourt.
Newton is really underappreciated by some here. He does turn it over a bit but he leads the team in minutes, assists, and steals and is 3rd in rebounding. Plus he always seems to make a play when an opponent makes a run. I'm a fan

Reaction Score
Half our offense is spurred by our defense and offensive boards. This is how a tough shooting night turns into a 22 point road win. These players bought in to Hurley's plan.

Reaction Score
Well it's exactly what our coaches did and we won by 22 points.

It doesn't mean you don't defend the shot and get a hand up, it means you take away the layup and the 3 first, so the only shot left is a contested foul line jumper.

The more posts of yours I ready, the more I realize you really just don't understand the game of basketball. Glad you're a fan though
If Bates made every jumper he took from the top of the key, how were they bad shots???

Wait, it’s a contested foul line jumper? But no one had their hands in his face. I see your brilliance, and your point that the coaches don’t care if he makes the shot anyway.

I hate it when someone can talk up a storm and not realize that their thought processes are moronic.

Reaction Score
If Bates made every jumper he took from the top of the key, how were they bad shots???

Wait, it’s a contested foul line jumper? But no one had their hands in his face. I see your brilliance, and your point that the coaches don’t care if he makes the shot anyway.

I hate it when someone can talk up a storm and not realize that their thought processes are moronic.
First, someone hitting a shot does not mean it wasn't a bad shot - that's just fundamental basketball stuff.

It's called picking your poison and living with the results.

You let Bates, their center, shoot all of the midrange jumpers he wants as
1. that's not an efficient shot to begin with
2. he's probably not going to hit enough to really worry you
3. him shooting from there means their offensive rebounding is probably non-existent
4. if he really starts draining them you can simply adjust.

Pretty clearly worked.

Reaction Score
Butler had 42 points with 7:33 left to play....ended the game with 46

Reaction Score
First, someone hitting a shot does not mean it wasn't a bad shot - that's just fundamental basketball stuff.

It's called picking your poison and living with the results.

You let Bates, their center, shoot all of the midrange jumpers he wants as
1. that's not an efficient shot to begin with
2. he's probably not going to hit enough to really worry you
3. him shooting from there means their offensive rebounding is probably non-existent
4. if he really starts draining them you can simply adjust.

Pretty clearly worked.
What if someone hits 5 or 6 of your so called “bad shots” in a row. Which is what happened. Do you really think giving the other other team 10 or 12 free points is “just fundamental basketball stuff”?

I guess you didn’t see the game. He made every single shot he took from the top of the key, and there was no one near him every time. So much for “you can simply adjust”. Lol

:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom