Circling Back to Student Section Criticisms | The Boneyard

Circling Back to Student Section Criticisms

Reaction Score
Would love to hear the thoughts of those at today's (and other recent) games regarding student section attendance and energy as this had been a point of criticism earlier in the season. As a student, I had a great time both Wednesday and today and am excited for Villanova on Tuesday!

Reaction Score
Noise and energy were great

When I was there 08-12 we were cycling through chants every offensive possession Let’s Go Huskies, U-C-O-N-N, Let’s Go U-C, etc

Feel like I haven’t been hearing those as much over the years

Great to see that still nobody gives a crap about coming in the same color lol

Reaction Score
Noise and energy were great

When I was there 08-12 we were cycling through chants every offensive possession Let’s Go Huskies, U-C-O-N-N, Let’s Go U-C, etc

Feel like I haven’t been hearing those as much over the years

Great to see that still nobody gives a crap about coming in the same color lol
This was brought up in a spaces the other day. I believe it’s being addressed. The student turnout today was vintage. Amazing

Reaction Score
Would love to hear the thoughts of those at today's (and other recent) games regarding student section attendance and energy as this had been a point of criticism earlier in the season. As a student, I had a great time both Wednesday and today and am excited for Villanova on Tuesday!
I couldn't tell you how the student section looked from the outside, because I was in it. I started the game in section 218 and was disgusted by the lethargy of my section mates, so I went over to the student overflow section. Decent energy, but it seemed the students were more concerned with non-game-related issues than the game itself. Nonetheless, it was a million times better than sitting with the old people and families over in gen pop. It was great to be able to wild out without feeling like I'm disturbing my neighbors.

Reaction Score
I thought the energy was good in general, numbers were great. I still think what’s missing is a focal point/leader. Someone like Dale (Blue/White kid), the pink hat guy, and others over the years with that infectious passion to spread it to others in the section.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I thought the energy was good in general, numbers were great. I still think what’s missing is a focal point/leader. Someone like Dale (Blue/White kid), the pink hat guy, and others over the years with that infectious passion to spread it to others in the section.
I think it's missing creativity, more freedom for signs and such, and a larger student section.

Reaction Score
They are getting there. Still some work to be done.
UConn no longer being stuck in the AAC, an increasingly competitive program, more wins, and fighting for a second NCAA bid in a row helps. Work in process to get back to 1990s-2014ish enthusiasm. Great to see and hear the improving student and overall Huskies' fan support. Go UConn!

Reaction Score
It seems like they aren't doing many of the obvious classic chants. Ever since Covid hit, its like they forgot about them.

U - C - O - N - N - clap clap clap
Lets goooooo! U - C - clap clap - Let's go! U - C - clap clap - Let's go!
U - U - U - U - U AHHHHH - UUUU cant do -- after every time the other team would foul us.

It's almost like they only do Let's go Huskies - clap clap clap clap clap -- and that's it.

Usually for a student section to be coordinated, there needs to be 1 or 2 kids who are loud and into the game to start the chants.

oldish video from 2014 with not so good audio quality, shows the student section for the whole game against Louisville in Gampel

Reaction Score
Students were far superior to the gen pop today; can’t say that that’s happened in a long time. Thought Wednesday’s crowd was much better on both sides but today’s students brought it at least.

Reaction Score
Thought they’ve been great the last 2 games. Especially deserve credit since all the games against the 4 best non UConn big east games have been at xl. Hopefully next year Villanova will finally come back to gampel and/or they get a big ooc opponent into gampel.

Marquette was great for an xl student section and I’m sure nova will be even more wild.

Reaction Score
The chants when we were on offense. There used to be a formula to it…

You start with U-C… let’s go!

Then Let’s go Huskies!

Then U-C-O-N-N (go Huskies go!)

And then the rotation would reset and begin with U-C after every timeout. I think I have the order right. It’s admittedly been a few years.

Haven’t seen it since I stopped in 2018 (after graduating in 2017). No new students seemed to pick up the mantle. Although to be fair, times were at their darkest, and then COVID happened. Hoping we’re now seeing some kind of revival, even if it doesn’t have the same procedures (for lack of a better word).

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Welcome wconn13, and from my TV at home the students were surely a presence. There don't seem to be "Defense" chants though? There were a few times I thought we'd hear them but no?

Reaction Score
the covid19 pause is enough time to wreck havoc on tradition/chants. Considering kids attend college for ~4 years... a 1 year pause is enough to disrupt the passing down of some of the less popular chants.

Reaction Score
Welcome wconn13, and from my TV at home the students were surely a presence. There don't seem to be "Defense" chants though? There were a few times I thought we'd hear them but no?
Gotta love that I hear the
D # basketball chant and the stick it in football chants @ the hockey games from the pep band yet we can’t get a D # @ Gampel or XL ???

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Nothing like a raucous student section. They're starting to believe. The players and staff are too. This is one sport where fans really can make a difference. Brings back a lot of great memories and something that you never forget. The best part is Uconn is on the way back. The kids (younger players) make mistakes but they've come a long way. Hope we have a great finish of the regular season and into the BE tournament and Dance. Very proud of some of the fire of veterans like Cole and Martin and the work ethic of Sanogo and AJ. Hawkins and Polley playing better. Looks like they could be peaking at exactly the right time.

Reaction Score
I appear to be in the minority based on reading this thread, but I thought those canned chants were so dumb. Give me a loud student section and Big Red going into timeouts like today and it's 100x better

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm just hear to say anyone who says "circle back" at my job is allowed to be punched on the shoulder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom