Cincy v Memphis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincy v Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That's the crowd that shows up for what the AD is calling the biggest game in the history of football...okay...

Two unranked teams on a weekday is the biggest game ever? Memphis is just trying to hard, which means they have no options.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I think the most important aspect of this game is that the level of competition is CLEARLY above any Sun Belt/CUSA/MAC/MWC game I've watched this year. As long as we're in the AAC this is incredibly important. I'm realistic that we won't get P5 money as a conference but if we could carve out a "Middle Class" niche that paid in the middle ground of P5 and G5 on the TV update it would be a great feat. This is a lot of fun to watch and there's talent on the field for both sides.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think the most important aspect of this game is that the level of competition is CLEARLY above any Sun Belt/CUSA/MAC/MWC game I've watched this year. As long as we're in the AAC this is incredibly important. I'm realistic that we won't get P5 money as a conference but if we could carve out a "Middle Class" niche that paid in the middle ground of P5 and G5 on the TV update it would be a great feat. This is a lot of fun to watch and there's talent on the field for both sides.
It's also incredibly important for UConn's season to have Cincy (in our division) start out 0-2 in conference play. Helps to pave our way to the conference championship game.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This kid Max Morrison for Cincy is a freaking savage

Reaction Score
Wouldn't have guessed 2 close losses this early and Cincy's hopes for a CC are remote at best. Beat Navy this week and we get in the conversation. We also play defense which might be helpful down the road.

Reaction Score
I think we should cool it on the criticism of either team.

They both represented the AAC well.......exciting, explosive offensive teams. At least the offensive lines can protect the QB's and open holes for significant running plays.

Its hard to criticize any team that is that successful in all aspects of offense.

And how many times did the ESPN commentators exclaim "What a game!" I was amazed at how well Cincinnati's freshman QB performed!

And Memphis certainly has the city pumped.

As the commentators stated often "good crowd". Another plus for AAC perception all around on national TV.

I suggested this before and will repeat .....some teams (Memphis, SMU, Houston, and even Temple) are really elevating their play in the league. I think this league could even be better than the old BE. Add to the fact Cincinnati has generally been explosive, in the BE and AAC!

What type of games really excite fans........explosive high scoring games, or defensive 9-6 struggles? (I'm not criticizing UConn.... I'm cloud high over their showing last week. But realistically, they can't be called a powerhouse)

It has been suggested Memphis and Cincinnati to the Big 12 IF another expansion occurs, I think a showing like this fits the high scoring persona of the Big 12. Tommy Tuberville is well known in the coaching ranks...and so are his goals of a P-5 invite. They both may have punched their ticket tonight.

And so far this season the new coaches at Houston, SMU, and now Memphis have receive high recognition and acclaim from commentators. Justin Fuentes "one of hottest coaches going?"

A national game good for AAC perception.

Good for UConn when, or IF they beat either one.

Last edited:

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I think we should cool it on the criticism of either team.

They both represented the AAC well..exciting, explosive offensive teams. At least the offensive lines can protect the QB's and open holes for significant running plays.

Its hard to criticize any team that is that successful in all aspects of offense.

And how many times did the ESPN commentators exclaim "What a game!" I was amazed at how well Cincinnati's freshman QB performed!

And Memphis certainly has the city pumped.

As the commentators stated often "good crowd". Another plus for AAC perception all around on national TV.

I suggested this before and will repeat .....some teams (Memphis, SMU, Houston, and even Temple) are really elevating their play in the league. I think this league could even be better than the old BE. Add to the fact Cincinnati has generally been explosive, in the BE and AAC!

What type of games really excite fans...explosive high scoring games, or defensive 9-6 struggles? (I'm not criticizing UConn.... I'm cloud high over their showing last week. But realistically, they can't be called a powerhouse)

It has been suggested Memphis and Cincinnati to the Big 12 IF another expansion occurs, I think a showing like this fits the high scoring persona of the Big 12. Tommy Tuberville is well known in the coaching ranks...and so are his goals of a P-5 invite. They both may have punched their ticket tonight.

And so far this season the new coaches at Houston, SMU, and now Memphis have receive high recognition and acclaim from commentators. Justin Fuentes "one of hottest coaches going?"

The one thing I'd note is that we criticize the defences but we've also yet to see UConn play a team that actually has a passing offense to speak of. Let's see what happens when we play BYU first.

Reaction Score
I think we should cool it on the criticism of either team.They both exciting and explosive. A national game good for AAC perception.

I agree completely. Memphis has now scored 40+ on 6 straight opponents. They had a very good crowd. And Cincy's Frosh QB did exceptionally well. Game was entertaining. What's the beef?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm fairly certain that 11 of us could sketch up a few plays on a paper towel during Saturday's tailgate that would drive 80 yards on either of these defenses.
As long as it's on a paper towel, not wallpaper. I doubt that plays sketched on wallpaper would work very well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
As long as it's on a paper towel, not wallpaper. I doubt that plays sketched on wallpaper would work very well.
That brings back unpleasant memories, if this was a college campus you might get students asking for a trigger warning.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
They both represented the AAC well..exciting, explosive offensive teams.

.@McMurphyESPN Quality of play tonight certainly appears to be closer to P5 level than G5 level. Really really fun game to watch

Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching the game as well. Both Cincy and Memphis are in the top 10 in total offense, so you knew it would be high scoring. I kept wondering throughout the game - how good could we be if we had an offense like either one of those teams combined with Diaco's defense?

Reaction Score
Amazing teams can pull exciting competent QBs off the bench and we can't field one in years of trying.

Reaction Score
Yup. NFL game ready to click ... and we barely watched a few plays.

Sitting with 30 year friends, with no affiliation to this Conference (except one guy had daughter at SMU), and WE thoroughly enjoyed that game. Lots of fun plays and real talent.

Maybe the AAC carves out an AFL type niche. The NOFUNLEAGUE was certainly part of my teen years. It was great fun watching that kid Hayden Moore throw the ball around; and Paxton Lynch has advanced huge in 2 years since he was at the RENT. As for the Memphis AD, seems like they finally have someone who sees his way to how these things work. He's not qualified in 4 of the 5 P5. We are all working our angles.

In the meantime, let's enjoy a bunch of fun teams to watch. And Diaco has a path to the CC.

O ... and Palatine is right. We finally have a QB. In our last 10 years, we have seen about 10 guys at Cincy better than our #2 guy in that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom