Cincinnati is Diaco's alamo. | The Boneyard

Cincinnati is Diaco's alamo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We are going to be sitting at 2-3 going into the Cincy game. This is a home game. This is basically our real rivalry game. 2-4 is unacceptable especially considering we have USF and ECU on the road two of the three weeks after that. I truly believe the rest of the season hinges on that game. A win, and we are 3-3 with arguably 4 winnable games left. A loss, and we are 2-4, and I am a lot less confident we will win all four. The Cincy game is basically for a bowl. If we don't get to a bowl, he's done. Cincy is his alamo.

Reaction Score
Win or resign the position immediately after the game. If he cares at all about the program and the players, resign. Allow UConn to hire someone who will bring in D1 players at the skill positions - and every other position.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
There is a 0.0% chance he is getting fired this year.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Sure, it's unlikely, but it's not like Benedict hired Diaco. He DID give him an extension, so I suppose that's a vote of confidence, but something tells me that Benedict isn't going to be incredibly patient with the state of the football team.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We've seen relatively successful coaches in our conference get fired (see Ruffin McNeill)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Diaco is not getting fired midseason. In addition to the awful in-game stuff, Pasqualoni had a bunch of other issues going on. However, these next 7 games are absolutely critical. Pretty Boy Bobby is coaching for his livelihood here. If by some miracle from the heavens he is able to turn 2-3 with regression into 7-5 or better, we've probably earned another year of this roller coaster. Anything less and I defer to Benedict's judgement.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree with that. Sure, it's unlikely, but it's not like Benedict hired Diaco. He DID give him an extension, so I suppose that's a vote of confidence, but something tells me that Benedict isn't going to be incredibly patient with the state of the football team.
This is my view too.

Reaction Score
Isn't the buyout something stupid?

Barring a total caving in of the season, like 2 and 10, he's coming back.

He will have zero excuses next year. Hope we can grind toward bowl contention this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Win or resign the position immediately after the game. If he cares at all about the program and the players, resign. Allow UConn to hire someone who will bring in D1 players at the skill positions - and every other position.

You're right but you'll go insane believing or waiting for this to occur this season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Isn't the buyout something stupid?

Barring a total caving in of the season, like 2 and 10, he's coming back.

He will have zero excuses next year. Hope we can grind toward bowl contention this year.

His buyout is about $5m. Chump change if boosters want him gone.

Reaction Score
When you know the guy you have is not the guy it is always best to end it sooner rather than later. As touchdown says the longer you wait the longer it sets you back.
I don't disagree. I just think the bowl game last year bight him year 4.

Maybe I'm wrong.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't disagree. I just think the bowl game last year bight him year 4.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think he is going anywhere this year....but...if Warde was still here, I would say he was 100% safe. With Benedict...that probably drops to 75% safe.

Reaction Score
We are going to be sitting at 2-3 going into the Cincy game. This is a home game. This is basically our real rivalry game. 2-4 is unacceptable especially considering we have USF and ECU on the road two of the three weeks after that. I truly believe the rest of the season hinges on that game. A win, and we are 3-3 with arguably 4 winnable games left. A loss, and we are 2-4, and I am a lot less confident we will win all four. The Cincy game is basically for a bowl. If we don't get to a bowl, he's done. Cincy is his alamo.

You could not be more wrong.

Reaction Score
I argued that the Syracuse game was basically a must win. Cincy game is now an absolutely must win. I disagree that his job hinges on a bowl game though. While it is a regression, I think the AAC is stronger than it was last year. Next year is the make or break year.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Here's the deal too... What's the best case IF Benedict, Herbst, and (and most importantly) the boosters (Burton, etc.) decided to cut ties with Diaco? Seriously, like who the hell would be a better fit for a FBS program in a non-P5 conference, with a dwindling shot at a P5 invite, a dwindling fan base, and who hasn't won a bowl game since the 2009 season? When we got Diaco, he was a hot commodity. He had come off a National Championship game at ND, with great defenses. It was a huge win for our program to get him to lead the way- and especially off of the dismal PP/GDL era.

Now, two and a half years later it seems like almost everything about CFB has changed with UConn losing out every step of the way. Diaco, for right or wrong, could be a great HC- he just needs to be less stubborn about the team's offensive philosophy and take some chances with the ball. If its a personell issue then its a bigger problem than just Diaco here. I can totally see a change at QB coming if we're 2-5 going into UCF.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Are you kidding? You think he is the reason why we don't have athletes like Houston? Do you think he's trying to recruit sub-standard players?

Reaction Score
I think the guys were more disappointed that he elected to punt on the last 3 series than with the loss. Their body language showed it.

He can lose games. He can't lose his players.

Reaction Score
SonofNuteg
Seriously? Yes Diaco was a hot commodity but it turned out he wasn't a good head coach. It happens. So we should keep him forever because the next guy might not have been an assistant at Notre Dame? Really that makes no sense. Maybe we pick up a MAC head coach, or another coordinator who turns out to be ready for the job. Or a guy fired from another program. It won't be the first time a name guy took a gig at a lesser known program. Would you talk to Charlie Strong if he's out at Texas? Or the guy at Penn State? I sure would. At least gauge their interest. The Central Michigan guy whose making $550000? I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom