Cincinnati is Diaco's alamo. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincinnati is Diaco's alamo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I don't disagree. I just think the bowl game last year bight him year 4.

Maybe I'm wrong.

More than ever I Think going to that third tier bowl game last year was a mistake on so many levels - it gave Bob more contract and it was a stamp of approval on a dismal 6-7 season. It create an illusion of an upswing that really did not materialize in appreciably more quality football.

Reaction Score
Diaco, for right or wrong, could be a great HC- he just needs to be less stubborn about the team's offensive philosophy and take some chances with the ball. If its a personell issue then its a bigger problem than just Diaco here. I can totally see a change at QB coming if we're 2-5 going into UCF.

Who is this person to whom you refer? You're asking for Diaco to change to (not)Diaco. How does that work? And FWIW I'd give a call to either of the directional Michigan Coaches IF the position was vacated. Unlikely before next year and definitely not before season's end.

For the record I like our coach, but have no confidence in the philosophy on both sides of the ball from the standpoint of wins or interesting football. If I wanted boring I'd be a baseball fan and honestly the Met's game the other night was starting to hold my interest. That's a really bad sign.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The next game that matters in terms of the BDFW is UCF. Everyone knew losing last night and the next two weeks was probable. These are the best three teams on the schedule. You have permission to dial it down until then.

Reaction Score
We are going to be sitting at 2-3 going into the Cincy game. This is a home game. This is basically our real rivalry game. 2-4 is unacceptable especially considering we have USF and ECU on the road two of the three weeks after that. I truly believe the rest of the season hinges on that game. A win, and we are 3-3 with arguably 4 winnable games left. A loss, and we are 2-4, and I am a lot less confident we will win all four. The Cincy game is basically for a bowl. If we don't get to a bowl, he's done. Cincy is his alamo.

Congratulations. You've taken this board to another level with this thread. Care to guess the direction?

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? You think he is the reason why we don't have athletes like Houston? Do you think he's trying to recruit sub-standard players?
Recruiting and eval is an art. Diaco appears to be no Rembrandt. Plenty of talent in PA, NY, NJ, Mass to go around. Dare I say Edsall (despite is low power O) could find quality.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Good post, but this is the Land of Steady Habits. He will be back next year. Got a good kicker in the wings and hopefully a punter. That's what we're good at, it's what we do.
RedPants Gets canned only if Thomas lines up as QB in the wildcat

C

Chief00

When you know the guy you have is not the guy it is always best to end it sooner rather than later. As touchdown says the longer you wait the longer it sets you back.
That is so true!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Besides the fact that it won't happen, firing Diaco now as opposed to 1/1/17 wouldn't make any sense anyway- why cost yourself $1.5m?

Reaction Score
Recruiting and eval is an art. Diaco appears to be no Rembrandt. Plenty of talent in PA, NY, NJ, Mass to go around. Dare I say Edsall (despite is low power O) could find quality.

45 percent of the Houston roster is from Houston, so the fans told me last night. And they all run the same offense in high school. Not at all the situation Diaco is dealing with.

Reaction Score
3 wins fired. Stays with 4 or more. But only thing that saves Verducci is a nine-game winning streak (includes AAC title game & bowl).

Reaction Score
Congratulations. You've taken this board to another level with this thread. Care to guess the direction?

The 'Alamo' stuff is a little over the top, but the succeeding points have merit, esp. likelihood of a bowl decreasing severely w/a loss to Cincy. IMO the post-shaming is a little "out of order" here. Also IMO, BD does need two more wins to stay.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This team is not that bad, despite Diaco's GameDay incompetence, and the schedule is not that tough. UConn will pick up some more wins.
I'm not convinced Cincy is anything special, I guess we'll know a lot after next week.

Reaction Score
The 'Alamo' stuff is a little over the top, but the succeeding points have merit, esp. likelihood of a bowl decreasing severely w/a loss to Cincy. IMO the post-shaming is a little "out of order" here. Also IMO, BD does need two more wins to stay.

I apologize for coming across as an balloon knot But, from my perspective, the "fire the coach" posts are almost always reactions to losing and folks posting out of anger and frustration. Half the college football fans in America want their coach fired every weekend - the half on the losing side of scores. I don't know if Diaco is the long-term answer, but I do know that constant rants by the fan base don't accomplish much.

You are correct, another loss diminishes our chances to get bowl eligible. Diaco is not getting canned after this season, however. Believe all you want that he is a goner, but he's not going anywhere.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced Cincy is anything special, I guess we'll know a lot after next week.

Agree. Cincy at home is winnable. I actually saw some positives against Houston. BS easily left 14 points on the field with easy missed throws and I thought the OLine did a respectable job against one of the better front seven in college football. We're starting to get some disruptive play at LB from Joseph and Diggs.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If we don't go bowling he should be gone. There's no other way around that. The guy is 10-20 here and never had a winning season. The fact he has huge issues coaching should help this decision.

I don't care if he inherited a dumpster fire and went 2-10. We're at Year 3 still making the same mistakes we did in 2014 and expecting different results. At some point you can't say, "we don't have an offensive line." Its pretty clear the coaching in game and in practice is holding these kids back. Lets not even talk about the play calling - Diaco makes worse decisions than Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
The Cincy game is basically for a bowl. If we don't get to a bowl, he's done. Cincy is his alamo.

I don't know if that is a good analogy. The Texans lost the battle at the Alamo and all of them were slaughtered, but their sacrifice allowed other Texans to regroup and win the war.

So unless you think Cincy is an ovetwhelming force that will destroy UConn and somehow that will make you better, it just doesn't work

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know if that is a good analogy. The Texans lost the battle at the Alamo and all of them were slaughtered, but their sacrifice allowed other Texans to regroup and win the war.

So unless you think Cincy is an ovetwhelming force that will destroy UConn and somehow that will make you better, it just doesn't work
Technically they were Texians.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Don't poke holes in it. Just let it slide.

Reaction Score
Benedict is from the SEC. the SEC plays wide open football. Do you think he could be liking what this team looks like? i would hope that he hs a southern coach in mind if he did decide to make a change, but I think Diaco needs a chance to see what he can do when his recruits are more seasoned. he is working off of PP's recruits still.

Reaction Score
We have something the SEC teams covet but we never use it. An awesome field goal kicker. I hope Diaco apologizes to Bobby Puyol after every game. Benedict probably can't comprehend that.

Reaction Score
Last seasons team wasn't as good as their record indicated and as a result it inflated expectations. The turnover differential has swung 180 degrees which tends to amplify problems. If Diaco can get this team to six wins, it will constitute progress, and there is no way, under that scenario, that he is going anywhere. It would take a complete meltdown for him to lose his job, IMO.

You can't hire a guy with no coaching experience - with the acknowledgement that there will be growing pains and that a short-term fix is not plausible - and fire him after three years. Not when you're UConn, not even when you're fighting for your life in CR.

The fact that he seems completely detached from reality scares me, but that wouldn't put him in uncharted territory as a football coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom