Cincinnati Hires Northern Kentucky's John Brannen | The Boneyard

Cincinnati Hires Northern Kentucky's John Brannen

Reaction Score
It would have been like UConn hiring Hurley from Wagner. Looks good on paper, but I'd like to first see how he does in a non-low major conference.

Reaction Score
It would have been like UConn hiring Hurley from Wagner. Looks good on paper, but I'd like to first see how he does in a non-low major conference.
I wanted us to hire Hurley from Wagner. Probably wouldn't have gotten the other championship but our program wouldn't have imploded either.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
very very happy yes!!! WOOOOHHHH

he's a very smart offensive coach and wants to pressure full court from what I've read. sounds like just what we're looking for!

kobe

Reaction Score
for those who don't know. he took over NKU as they transitioned to Division I and in their first year of elibility made the NCAA tournament, followed that up with a regular season title and NIT berth and then another NCAA tournament this past season.

he was also the lead recruiter for VCU when they made the final four (recruited 4 of the 5 starters) and also recruited Larry Sanders there. then went to Alabama where they also recruited well landing Trevor Lacey and Devonta Pollard (both 4/5 stars but ended up transferring out and went on to star at NC State & Houston respectively).

Reaction Score
I wanted us to hire Hurley from Wagner. Probably wouldn't have gotten the other championship but our program wouldn't have imploded either.

So you wanted to hire Hurley in 2012 after 2 seasons as a college basketball head coach (both at Wagner)?

Reaction Score
So you wanted to hire Hurley in 2012 after 2 seasons as a college basketball head coach (both at Wagner)?
Yes.
Screenshot_20190414-152604_Chrome.jpg

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Figured he would need a new job after the whole Russian collusion thing fell apart with CNN. Better upgrade our anti-spyware and make sure we don’t have any double agents working for us. Hiring a spy as their coach is a ballsy move on Cincinnati’s part.
DD4EFEFF-CC08-4B35-AFF2-77C54DF09523.png

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I’ll give you props, but I admit I would’ve been way too risk averse to push such a move either.

I’m even luke warm on day at Ohio st for football. How many times do such raw college level coaches succeed at premium jobs like that (or UConn bb)?

Reaction Score
I’ll give you props, but I admit I would’ve been way too risk averse to push such a move either.

I’m even luke warm on day at Ohio st for football. How many times do such raw college level coaches succeed at premium jobs like that (or UConn bb)?

Only thing better would be to show his Boneyard Quote in 1985 sayin' "UConn should look to hiring that Philly guy who is an assistant coach at Virginia as the new head coach for the women's team. I think he can win at UConn.".

Reaction Score
very very happy yes!!! WOOOOHHHH

he's a very smart offensive coach and wants to pressure full court from what I've read. sounds like just what we're looking for!
Is Cumberland returning?

What does your PG situation look like?

If Cumberland returns and you find a legit Grad Transfer PG (assuming I am not missing something) coupled with NO Mick....this will be a team that could actually be very dangerous in March.

Reaction Score
Only thing better would be to show his Boneyard Quote in 1985 sayin' "UConn should look to hiring that Philly guy who is an assistant coach at Virginia as the new head coach for the women's team. I think he can win at UConn.".

This kind of comment doesn’t really hit home on this board.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Really Nice hire
Don't get the need to have another stop at a mid major
URI is not a big deal
This guy did some really nice things at NKU - not an easy thing to do at a school that just jumped into D1
I like this hire - a lot

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Really Nice hire
Don't get the need to have another stop at a mid major
URI is not a big deal
This guy did some really nice things at NKU - not an easy thing to do at a school that just jumped into D1
I like this hire - a lot
Is this shade at Hurley?

Reaction Score
Buddy of mine's brother played alongside Brannen at Marshall. Said he was one of the smartest guys he ever was around. I guess he was a Rhodes Scholarship finalist which coming from Marshall in West Virginia is a pretty good indication he's a pretty sharp cat. Led the Southern Conference in scoring his senior year. Big guy, 6'8. Given his track record the past several years at Nku i'm not sure Cincy could afford not to hire him. They'd look pretty bad if an out of state school takes him and he wins big. One way or another, my bet is they will be much improved offensively. His bio doesn't look to be as one track as Cronin's defense wins always mentality.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I tend to disregard the BY know it alls who always say I knew before all you guys, blah, blah blah... except in this case SJ backed it up. Props to him.

If we had gone with Danny instead of KO we probably lose kids when JC retired and likely don't get 2014, but we'd be in good shape now. I'll never wish away a championship.

kobe

Reaction Score
Is Cumberland returning?

What does your PG situation look like?

If Cumberland returns and you find a legit Grad Transfer PG (assuming I am not missing something) coupled with NO Mick....this will be a team that could actually be very dangerous in March.

not sure on cumberland, i assume he's gonna at least gonna put his name in the draft process. he hasn't made a definitive call yet.

as for the pg situation its gonna be rough. hope brannen looks around at a grad transfer. if not its gonna be on logan johnson...who you'd think would thrive in a system like brannen's but who knows. he's a long ways from home (california) and the guy that just recruited him left so maybe he transfers out idk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom