Cincinnati coaching search | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cincinnati coaching search

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
delete this post and delete your account as well plzzz
C'mon Ollie's got a proven ability to get past the round of 32. He just has a little trouble getting there.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Cincy has no chance for Pitino once he sees them throw chili on top of spaghetti.
1554958746798.png

"Bastardi!"​

Reaction Score
Good publicity for the league though. Final Four coach from the SEC leaves for an AAC program.
good news for Cinci fans is that the dude definitely drops bags. His recruiting classes are so inconsistently up and down with random 5* signings. Then you've got the Brad Underwood connection, and that dude definitely pays to play.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Lol I love how many Cinci fans disapprove of Martin. They'd be lucky to have him. He's a solid coach. I'd be surprised if they got a Frank Martin caliber coach or better.
Cinci does not really seem like a desirable job, despite the consistency of Cronin.
I thought we were EXTREMELY fortunate to get Hurley, and that's considering we have won 2 titles this decade.

Reaction Score
I don't think people realize how highly coveted Thad Matta is. I'm sure every P5 school with a vacancy in the past few years has reached out to inquire about his health. If it wasn't for his health issues, he would have a chance at being one of the winningest and greatest coaches in college basketball history.

Between his time at Butler, Xavier and Ohio State, he is 439-154. He has 2 final fours, 4 elite 8s, 6 sweet 16s and an NIT championship all while missing only 2 post seasons in his 17 year career. All of this and he is still only 51 years old.

While having the Ohio connection would probably be a plus for him at this time (closer to home) landing in Cincy, I think if he was going to take a shot at coming back to coaching it would either be all in with a power program or go the Calhoun route and take on a D3 "low stress" project.
51 going on 70.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
martin definitely wouldnt be on the top of my list but id be okay with him i guess. obviously has ties to huggs and coached here for 2 years as an assistant.

Reaction Score
Why is Frank Martin always trying to leave SC?

Despite the final four run, not a good job.

Overshadowed by the football program, and at times the baseball and WBB programs (not to mention the schools in the other Carolina).

Reaction Score
Lol I love how many Cinci fans disapprove of Martin. They'd be lucky to have him. He's a solid coach. I'd be surprised if they got a Frank Martin caliber coach or better.

My guess is he either reached out to them(uc), or Goodman is linking him to another of a number of jobs he's linked him to over the years. That South Carolina job is difficult. Surrounded by Acc blue bloods and have to butt heads with Uk, Florida et. al. He can coach, and he can recruit(really good with foreign guys), so i guess there's always a possibility he wants to get into a more bball friendly environment. South Carolina is football first by a mile. Goodman will probably link him to the St Johns job by Saturday.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Pitino to anywhere would be sad. The guys a crook, liar and shouldn't be allowed to coach again. But the NCAA like crooks it would seem so who knows.

Controversy sells, and the NCAA likes making money.

Reaction Score
Controversy sells, and the NCAA likes making money.

No doubt about it, but at some point if they have real goods on him then they have to bring it forward. Cal is scott free at Uk, and all he ever did was blame all those around him as well.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No doubt about it, but at some point if they have real goods on him then they have to bring it forward. Cal is scott free at Uk, and all he ever did was blame all those around him as well.

One coach (can't remember which one) said that every coach knows virtually everything going on in his or her program, down to the minutest detail. If they say they don't, they're lying.

Reaction Score
At least he got them to the tourney...
Yeah, I'm sure the UCLA fans are going to love a guy who gets them to the tourney, but can't make it past the first weekend.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm sure the UCLA fans are going to love a guy who gets them to the tourney, but can't make it past the first weekend.

They absolutely will love that. For awhile. But I doubt Cronin will have that same problem at UCLA anyway. He won with pretty mediocre recruits. He'll be able to get better players at UCLA.

Cinci is in good shape to land a quality replacement, which is critical for our league.

Reaction Score
They absolutely will love that. For awhile.

No they won't.
Steve Lavin fired after making 6/7 tournaments, including an elite eight and 4 sweet 16s.
Ben Howland fired after making 7/10 tournaments, including 3 final fours.
Steve Alford fired after making 4/6 tournaments, including 3 sweet 16s.

The fans, boosters, and AD will not accept early exits.

Reaction Score
No they won't.
Steve Lavin fired after making 6/7 tournaments, including an elite eight and 4 sweet 16s.
Ben Howland fired after making 7/10 tournaments, including 3 final fours.
Steve Alford fired after making 4/6 tournaments, including 3 sweet 16s.

The fans, boosters, and AD will not accept early exits.
Definitely does seem like a move they’re regretting: firing Alford, then having to settle for Cronin

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom