Cincinnati coaching search | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincinnati coaching search

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
pipe dream: Pitino -- think he's still too toxic and is friends with Mick so idk how he'd feel about replacing him.

Your right about the first bit, but dead wrong about the second. Pitino would kill his first born to get another D1 gig.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I don't think people realize how highly coveted Thad Matta is. I'm sure every P5 school with a vacancy in the past few years has reached out to inquire about his health. If it wasn't for his health issues, he would have a chance at being one of the winningest and greatest coaches in college basketball history.

Between his time at Butler, Xavier and Ohio State, he is 439-154. He has 2 final fours, 4 elite 8s, 6 sweet 16s and an NIT championship all while missing only 2 post seasons in his 17 year career. All of this and he is still only 51 years old.

While having the Ohio connection would probably be a plus for him at this time (closer to home) landing in Cincy, I think if he was going to take a shot at coming back to coaching it would either be all in with a power program or go the Calhoun route and take on a D3 "low stress" project.

Reaction Score
While having the Ohio connection would probably be a plus for him at this time (closer to home) landing in Cincy, I think if he was going to take a shot at coming back to coaching it would either be all in with a power program or go the Calhoun route and take on a D3 "low stress" project.

I actually think just the opposite. With his issues, I think a fairly low stress, but high ceiling job like Cincy would be perfect for him.

Reaction Score
I actually think just the opposite. With his issues, I think a fairly low stress, but high ceiling job like Cincy would be perfect for him.
That would be a slight net upgrade for Cincy.

Reaction Score
Oh wow, I thought you were joking.
I was! But it would be rather interesting if it did happen. I don't dislike KO. He bleeds blue. I do think, however, coaching is NOT his forte. It was a good move by UCONN to remove him from coaching. Unfortunately, it has turned into an ugly mess. I hope I made myself clear now.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

If I recall correctly, I think I read in the past that the biggest issue he has with his health is travel and long plane rides. Unfortunately that is unavoidable in the AAC.

But never say never...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cronin is being rewarded for remaining relevant even excelling in the AAC.

Something Kevin Ollie was unable to do and that Hurley has yet to do.

Cronin may have maxed out at Cincy but it's unfair to assume it is Cronin that maxed out.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don't think people realize how highly coveted Thad Matta is. I'm sure every P5 school with a vacancy in the past few years has reached out to inquire about his health. If it wasn't for his health issues, he would have a chance at being one of the winningest and greatest coaches in college basketball history.

Between his time at Butler, Xavier and Ohio State, he is 439-154. He has 2 final fours, 4 elite 8s, 6 sweet 16s and an NIT championship all while missing only 2 post seasons in his 17 year career. All of this and he is still only 51 years old.

Matta is the no-brainer pick for Cinci, but I'm guessing his health is preventing that from happening.

Reaction Score
I talked to a guy in Cincy who's pretty well connected, and he hears they're looking hard at a couple highly placed big school assistants who are lead recruiters. Makes sense as it paid off in spades in football. Higher risk, but high reward at a lower cost. My guess is a b10 or sec school.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, I think I read in the past that the biggest issue he has with his health is travel and long plane rides. Unfortunately that is unavoidable in the AAC.

But never say never...

If they fly charter, they should be able to accommodate him as comfortably as possible.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I talked to a guy in Cincy who's pretty well connected, and he hears they're looking hard at a couple highly placed big school assistants who are lead recruiters. Makes sense as it paid off in spades in football. Higher risk, but high reward at a lower cost. My guess is a b10 or sec school.
hmm been hearing that they really would like to land an established HC.

Reaction Score
hmm been hearing that they really would like to land an established HC.
I’m not big on hiring assistant coaches for high profile head coaching positions.
The Head coach is first of all a manager and almost all assistants have zero managerial experience.
It was the lack of managerial ability that destroyed Ollie. He was in over his head .
Unless that assistant actually successfully ran a program or is the world’s greatest recruiter your rolling the dice.

kobe

Reaction Score
I’m not big on hiring assistant coaches for high profile head coaching positions.
The Head coach is first of all a manager and almost all assistants have zero managerial experience.
It was the lack of managerial ability that destroyed Ollie. He was in over his head .
Unless that assistant actually successfully ran a program or is the world’s greatest recruiter your rolling the dice.
agreed. think is coaching search is really simple imo. brannen is a no brainer so as long as no one else blows you away.

Reaction Score
agreed. think is coaching search is really simple imo. brannen is a no brainer so as long as no one else blows you away.

Recruiting is the life blood of a program. Most of the lower rung successful coaches don't move the needle recruiting wise. Time will tell.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If Texas didn't just win the NIT, I would've said take a swing with Shaka Smart. Texas is too big of a program for him. I think Cincy would be a great spot for a him.

Just imagine the Bearcats notching things up with a Havoc press to there already formidable defensive culture.

kobe

Reaction Score
Recruiting is the life blood of a program. Most of the lower rung successful coaches don't move the needle recruiting wise. Time will tell.
it's always a gamble but Brannen was the lead assistant for Anthony Grant at Alabama so he has SEC recruiting experience and recruited very well for the Horizon League level.

at our level you have to get creative with recruiting taking a chance on some questionable guys (within reason), transfers and grad transfers which was my main gripe with Mick that he was simply unwilling to budge on his philosophy. maybe he'll do better at ucla.

Reaction Score
If you're forced to pick one, who's the next coach?

Who's your top choice?

How did Cronin fail upwardly?

The man's teams constantly choked in the NCAA and that gets him the UCLA job? Wow. (I say that as one of the few posters who didn't hate him, and even defended him on this board.)
At least he got them to the tourney...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom