OT: - Cincinnati basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Cincinnati basketball

Reaction Score
Being a chili-head, this post offends me. A good friend of mine from Cincinnati used to send me a can of Skyline turd every year for Christmas. We haven't spoken in years.
That is a spaghetti killer right there. Nasty crap.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
I get that people want to hate on the AAC. But it's hard not to cringe when people rag on it when we were mediocre at best when we were a member. If we dominated I would join in the laughter. But we basically sucked most of the time.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile their football team played on New Year's Day, almost knocked off Georgia which would have sent the playoff committee into a tailspin. And ensures crowds of 40,000 a game next year at Nippert Stadium and a flood of high dollar donations.

But I understand the original post from the very narrow basketball only perspective.
This is the reality

Reaction Score
I get that people want to hate on the AAC. But it's hard not to cringe when people rag on it when we were mediocre at best when we were a member. If we dominated I would join in the laughter. But we basically sucked most of the time.
And yet we won the only National Championship the conference will ever have in basketball and won more NCAA tournament games than the rest of the conference combined all during the worst stretch of UConn basketball in around 35 years.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile their football team played on New Year's Day, almost knocked off Georgia which would have sent the playoff committee into a tailspin. And ensures crowds of 40,000 a game next year at Nippert Stadium and a flood of high dollar donations.

But I understand the original post from the very narrow basketball only perspective.
Imagine someone hyping up a football team almost winning a football game in like the 5th most important bowl after that team went undefeated in the regular season and was never even up for consideration in the college football playoff. Imagine thinking that's a good thing for the conference.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
And yet we won the only National Championship the conference will ever have in basketball and won more NCAA tournament games than the rest of the conference combined all during the worst stretch of UConn basketball in around 35 years.

Ok.

But did we dominate the conference? What was our conference record?

Reaction Score

Good. We should have a very narrow basketball only perspective. There are maybe 5 programs right now that matter in college football. When a program like Michigan can't even be on the same field anymore for over a decade as their arch rival Ohio State than maybe the parity of college football has become very narrow from my perspective.

Reaction Score
Ok.

We sucked. Most AAC schools suck too (as has been proven in numerous bowls and NCAA tournaments). UCF football and maybe Houston basketball are the only AAC entities that were impressive the last 5 years. We just sucked more because we are in a worse recruiting area and hired football/basketball coaches that ranges from incompetent to insane (Diaco).

Reaction Score
Ok.

No but nobody cares, most people have no clue the conference even exists. The point is as even though we sucked and it was our worst stretch in 35 years we still accomplished more for the conference than the entire rest of the conference will.

Reaction Score
It is a basketball conference. One that's one step above a league where the backboards are nailed to utility poles and they have to keep an official watching in both directions to yell "CAR!" when one comes along.
They cannot possibly afford an official to watch for oncoming traffic.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The entire AAC is a mess. Maybe Katz is right.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I might be the only Yarder with a kid attending Cincy. Brannen was the coach in waiting at Northern Kentucky while Mick was at Cincy. Open secret the job was Brannen's if Mick left. It looks like it was a bad hire and I'm guessing he's out this year or maybe they give him one more. On the football side I'm thinking Fickell may hang around a few more seasons. I think he still wants the Ohio St. job. Who knows, if OSU beats Bama maybe the NFL comes for Day. Cincy is a big school with 44,000 students but it will always be a football afterthought in Ohio. My daughter says Ohio kids would skip going to a Bearcat game to watch the Buckeyes on tv. BTW, Cincy is a fun city to hang out in but I would never eat Skyline chili.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Nothing there to inspire greatness.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I might be the only Yarder with a kid attending Cincy. Brannen was the coach in waiting at Northern Kentucky while Mick was at Cincy. Open secret the job was Brannen's if Mick left. It looks like it was a bad hire and I'm guessing he's out this year or maybe they give him one more. On the football side I'm thinking Fickell may hang around a few more seasons. I think he still wants the Ohio St. job. Who knows, if OSU beats Bama maybe the NFL comes for Day. Cincy is a big school with 44,000 students but it will always be a football afterthought in Ohio. My daughter says Ohio kids would skip going to a Bearcat game to watch the Buckeyes on tv. BTW, Cincy is a fun city to hang out in but I would never eat Skyline chili.
Eating Skyline is akin to driving past Wooster St on your way to Little Caesar's.

Reaction Score
Brannen just seems like an odd fit for that program. I was telling a friend of mine that, if Pitino can keep his nose clean for a year or two at Iona, Cincy would be the exact type of program to give him one last shot at a high major.

Its hard to have sympathy for them as, if the B12 invite ever would’ve materialized, they would’ve been out the door just as quick as we were. They’re truly the last school standing without a seat in realignment musical chairs. All the more reason to be thankful that Benedict was able to get us out of that purgatory of a conference.
That could be a landing spot for Pitino, though I think a more likely candidate is BC after they can Christian. Pitino's a northeast guy at heart, coached in New England for many years, and he'd be in the ACC.

The ultimate twist of fate - UK has a terrible season, gets fed up with Cal, hires Pitino.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Skyline chili is what I would eat coming home at 2 am drunk if all I had in the house was leftover spaghetti, a can of chili, and shredded cheese.

Reaction Score
I think Youstin and Cinci have hope in conference realignment but Memphis is dead lmao.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I almost feel bad for Cincy this is the exact same thing that happened to us.
Cinci should be winning a NC next season - if it is the EXACT same thing

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think Youstin and Cinci have hope in conference realignment but Memphis is dead lmao.
Houston would be the best team in the NBE this year - no doubt in my mind
Memphis is an enigma - they so under perform overall

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Cinci should be winning a NC next season - if it is the EXACT same thing
Everyone would benefit if you put your effort into making witty (or insightful) posts, instead of condescending comments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom