Cinci AD: "We want out of the American." | The Boneyard

Cinci AD: "We want out of the American."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone should tell him the MAC might have an opening. Not a wise move unless he has something on the cooker?

Reaction Score
We want out too, but making it as public as possible like Cincy did is stupid. He sure won't be making too many friends at next American's conference meeting. UCONN being stuck in the American is far greater travesty than Cincy being here. At least Cincy is with its peers while we don't belong here at all.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The headline was a lot more incendiary than his actual comments. I think he just addressed the obvious in a less than brilliant way.

I'm still amazed they hired this guy, though. Colorado all but tied him to a rocket to get rid of him.

Reaction Score
The headline was a lot more incendiary than his actual comments. I think he just addressed the obvious in a less than brilliant way.

I'm still amazed they hired this guy, though. Colorado all but tied him to a rocket to get rid of him.

Me too. There is nothing impressive about this guy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Too lazy to look up. Why? Is he a career #2 guy?

Reaction Score
Guess He Can Start By Getting 10K, Fans To A Basketball Game. Sheet, Even We Can Do That Once In A While.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about this guy or the politics involved in getting Colorado into the PAC12, but I'd say that was a pretty successful accomplishment. Colorado got one of the first tickets to a more stable, long-term conference despite what seems like a very mediocre athletic department. They might not even be the best football program within their own state and only the most ardent of college basketball fans can tell you anything about Colorado basketball.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
The headline was a lot more incendiary than his actual comments. I think he just addressed the obvious in a less than brilliant way. I'm still amazed they hired this guy, though. Colorado all but tied him to a rocket to get rid of him.

Laughed out loud.

Reaction Score
This is either Brilliant or really really stupid
My verdict: Stupid.

Look, we all know that every team in the AAC would jump ship to a P5 conference in a heartbeat, and no doubt behind-the-scenes every school is doing what they can. But for a president and AD to make this the opening theme of the hire is just bad politics.

There's no guarantee realignment is going to happen in the next 7 years, so making these kind of divisive comments hurts the image of the AAC. Short of realignment, the next best option is for the AAC to be the 6th best conference.

On the bright side, he doesn't seem nearly as sharp as Whit Babcock, so Cincy's loss is UCONN's relative gain.

The presidents, AD's, and coaches should leave the AAC-bashing to the fans.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Herbst is still being scolded for acting like she wanted out the day Syracuse and Pitt announced they were leaving. There doesn't seem to be anything to gain from saying this, absent a promise from a P5 conference to join in the future. Cincy is back where they belong, CUSA/Metro.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Herbst is still being scolded for acting like she wanted out the day Syracuse and Pitt announced they were leaving. There doesn't seem to be anything to gain from saying this, absent a promise from a P5 conference to join in the future. Cincy is back where they belong, CUSA/Metro.

Both Cincinnati and UConn should be in P5 conferences right now. If the Big 12 wasn't so dumb they would have taken UofL, WVU and UC and the ACC would have taken UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Both Cincinnati and UConn should be in P5 conferences right now. If the Big 12 wasn't so dumb they would have taken UofL, WVU and UC and the ACC would have taken UConn.

Agreed 100%.

Reaction Score
When I first saw this thread, I thought that he's using the Oliver Luck method of conference realignment negotiations. Unlike Luck, he doesn't have any leverage. When Luck was whining, the XII was reeling from the losses of Colorado, Nebraska, aTm, & Missouri. Now, the XII CAN expand if it WANTS to, but it doesn't NEED to.

Reaction Score
Cincy has been doing everything in public in terms of advertising their brand and making their intentions known. It may seem silly and almost childish, but you can't fault them for trying.

Reaction Score
Almost every team in this conference has expectations of greener pastures.
The reality is Cinn .is the only current one with a shot in near future.
That hunger could produce a great conference. You never know.

Reaction Score
Almost every team in this conference has expectations of greener pastures.
The reality is Cinn .is the only current one with a shot in near future.
That hunger could produce a great conference. You never know.

Simply not the case...

If any conference adds at this point, it won't just be one team. Someone needs to go with UC, and the best available options come from the AAC.

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about this guy or the politics involved in getting Colorado into the PAC12, but I'd say that was a pretty successful accomplishment. Colorado got one of the first tickets to a more stable, long-term conference despite what seems like a very mediocre athletic department.

Location. Location. Location.
Who else was a viable candidate for the PAC?

CO was the only P5 team close to the PAC footprint.
CO was the largest market in the west, by far, that the PAC didn't already have.

Even my grandmother could've pulled off getting CO in the PAC, and she hasn't been alive for 15 years.

Reaction Score
In my (mostly ignorant) opinion, it seems like Cincy's best shot to get out of the AAC is the XII. Is hiring a guy who led Colorado out of the XII, and caused some tense times in their league the best way for them to make friends in that conference? Seems odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom