Cierra Toomey deciding 4/11 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Cierra Toomey deciding 4/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For starters I was not stating my opinion I was asking more of a question. Does Connecticut lose quality recruits due to a lack of social and cultural experiences on and around campus due to its more rural location. Does the college provide programs and events to make up for its location. It would seem that if a recruit were not singly focused on basketball they might enjoy the extra College experience provided hence more fun. Even coach has said kids today are different than they were 5-10 years ago and the treatment of them needs to be different. So no opinion given on my part and the reason I questioned it is for recruiting purposes in the future.
Extra college experience. Like access to all the game platforms, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, free wifi, and...energy drinks? I forget anything?

Reaction Score
I hope the young lady heals well and has a great college experience.

As the son of a math teacher and an engineer myself, I cringed when I read "110% committed." A prospective engineering student should know better. ;)

The same way I cringe at people saying you have to give 110% to anything. You can't give more than 100% of what you are capable of.
The kids use that term all the time nowadays just like the refer to damn near everyone as the goat or their BFF ( best friend forever).

Reaction Score
With Ciera committing to North Carolina I checked HoopsGurlz to see who was still available for next years college season. This is a photo of what they show on ESPN. However, I do not know when it was updated last. But it looks like there are plenty and this only shows the Top-20 players. Hopefully, UConn may still be involved with a player or two.

Attachments

• recruit.jpg
    recruit.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 277

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With Ciera committing to North Carolina I checked HoopsGurlz to see who was still available for next years college season. This is a photo of what they show on ESPN. However, I do not know when it was updated last. But it looks like there are plenty and this only shows the Top-20 players. Hopefully, UConn may still be involved with a player or two.
And hopefully there will be a thread right here on the BY for every player that has yet to verbally commit :):rolleyes: because this one should be done.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I know that the Connecticut basketball program is the premier program in college basketball but all that’s ever spoken about is how hard the practices are and how Gino can break you down and build you back up. It seems like all that’s ever spoken about is the basketball culture. The social aspect of the school is never spoken about is that because it’s isolated with nothing really to do socially. Is there a school shuttle into Boston or to Hartford. What do these young people have at Connecticut that can compare to a UNC or a duke. Maybe a positive thread on the social culture of the University of Connecticut. Unless it’s that bland that we don’t want to highlight it. So if the student athlete isn’t sports centric there’s not much to offer? I think the perception of Connecticut basketball is that it is all encompassing and hard as hell. And most young people are not looking for that type of atmosphere Even the coach has noted players today want different things. Does the University of Connecticut offer those things or would it be smart for the basketball program to create a social program for their players.
To add to what some others have said: It's nothing new that not every kid who's offered goes to UConn (and I'm sure we don't hear about every single kid who's offered). Also, not every kid wants the same thing. As one who's gone to a small college and a research university, I can say I (and several folks I knew in graduate school) liked the small college in the middle of the sticks way better. I also found there was a lot more for me to do. And if someone wants to go to Hartford or Providence or Boston, there are plenty of students on campus with cars. And, of course the other thing is, to some extent UConn basketball IS "all encompassing and hard as hell" and Geno and Chris want it that way. UConn is not unique in that way, I'm sure a lot of coaches expect their players to eat drink and breathe basketball (and school work).

UHF

Reaction Score
It is not who starts their career at UConn that concerns Geno. It is who finishes their career there.
:cool:

Reaction Score
similar to how Uconn loses games and the opponent never wins them, did it ever occur maybe Courtney just is a great recruiter and she gels with Toomey. Crazy thought I know!
UConn does lose games, especially when seniors don’t show up. We fans here on the BY are very critical of our team and players. Not too many with the rose colored glasses around here.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
TR: You named eight finalists last fall. Can you explain how UConn and North Carolina wound up being the last two and why it ended up being North Carolina?

CT: There was no specific thing for each of the eight. It was more about North Carolina and how they made me feel about being there. Along the whole process, there were two places that I could really see myself.

Both places, it was a great visit and I just really enjoyed being there. North Carolina, there was something about it, something about the coaching staff and the feeling I got when I was down there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The kids use that term all the time nowadays just like the refer to damn near everyone as the goat or their BFF ( best friend forever).
Nowadays? Back in the 70's we had to give 110% in gym class back in Jr High. Just ask Coach Fisher.

Reaction Score
I don't have any problem with Ciera's decision to verbal to North Carolina if it was her decision and not her parents.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't have any problem with Ciera's decision to verbal to North Carolina if it was her decision and not her parents.
What are you reading\hearing that would make you believe this was anything but her decision & even if it wasn't how/why would you possibly have a problem with that?

sun

Reaction Score
A local news station posted video of her announcement, and also of her getting injured.
Poor kid, I hope she doesn't suffer another injury like that ever again.
That's one less white hair for Geno.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Parents know a LOT more than kids about picking a school esp if the parents graduated college or experienced college life.

sun

Reaction Score
We can't.

thumb_weredoomed-memegenerator-net-were-doomed-c3po-thank-the-maker-meme-generator-54185085.png

There's still a lot of time left before she starts school.
Cierra might decommit or want to transfer, you never know.
Maybe she'll claim that her decision was made under parental duress.
Fans aren't going to take this sitting down, and are working on a plan. LOL!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From a strictly personal pov, I would love to see Judea “Juju” Watkins commit to UConn. I’ve seen her twice in person. I was extremely impressed with her play. She was clearly the best player on the floor. She led her team to the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) state championship for her school’s division this year.

She's a gamer/baller. She can score from anywhere on the floor. She also plays defense. She doesn't do magic tricks. She’ll show up for every game against the biggest opponents. She's going to ball for somebody, I’d like it to be us. Remember her name. You are going to hear it again.

She's ranked #2 in her class on ESPN’s Hoopgurlz. That in itself should tell you something. I like ❤️ Juju!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom