Chukwu down to Providence and St. Joes | The Boneyard

Chukwu down to Providence and St. Joes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
surprised he doesn't know where he's going yet. he was my favorite prospect though

Reaction Score
Kid is thinking small time, knew we were out for a while now. Chukwu has kept his recruitment very close to the vest but reading into things I think Ollie backed off of him, probably says something about how Ollie feels about Brimah.

Reaction Score
full disclosure..............i have never seen this kid play. what i do know is do we really want a kid who went to high school in ct, had an offer to uconn, and is down to st. joes and providence? he may not want us, but at this point, i atleast feel that the feeling is mutual.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
full disclosure..............i have never seen this kid play. what i do know is do we really want a kid who went to high school in ct, had an offer to uconn, and is down to st. joes and providence? he may not want us, but at this point, i atleast feel that the feeling is mutual.
Give the kid a break. He is clearly being guided by an imaginary sky dictator.

Reaction Score
He would have been a great get for UConn, let's not sugarcoat it. This is actually the first time I feel we've been beaten by PC. UConn has lost to PC on Austin as well, but that's not a biggee. Austin was replaced by Hamilton/Purvis. Who would you rather have? I don't think Chukwu is easily replaceable unless Nolan/Brimah/Facey come into their own.

And yes of course Chukwu's recruitment seems limited at best. Oh well. He didn't grow up watching UConn, nor does he know the NCAA landscape well, while his handlers have vested interests. Don't believe it? Well, look at St. Joseph's. Why not BC or Villanova or St. John's or Seton Hall or Georgetown or Notre Dame or Xavier, etc.? Why St. Joseph's? Because his advisor has a kid at St. Joseph's, and a kid at Providence.

Reaction Score
Here's how peculiar his recruitment is:

UConn, Boston College, Georgetown, N.C. State and Maryland have also been involved in his recruitment.
Chukwu, who calls to mind a young Hasheem Thabeet or Dikembe Mutombo, averaged 13.7 points, 12.1 rebounds and 6.8 blocks per game last season at Fairfield Prep. He and his family have been very protective of information in the recruiting process.

Um.... ?????????????????????

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
when he realizes the mistakes his "handlers"made on his behalf he'll regret not comeing to uconn.

Reaction Score
He would have been a great get for UConn, let's not sugarcoat it. This is actually the first time I feel we've been beaten by PC. UConn has lost to PC on Austin as well, but that's not a biggee. Austin was replaced by Hamilton/Purvis. Who would you rather have? I don't think Chukwu is easily replaceable unless Nolan/Brimah/Facey come into their own.

And yes of course Chukwu's recruitment seems limited at best. Oh well. He didn't grow up watching UConn, nor does he know the NCAA landscape well, while his handlers have vested interests. Don't believe it? Well, look at St. Joseph's. Why not BC or Villanova or St. John's or Seton Hall or Georgetown or Notre Dame or Xavier, etc.? Why St. Joseph's? Because his advisor has a kid at St. Joseph's, and a kid at Providence.

how did we get beat? you said it best, his handlers have vested interests. getting beat is when you go head to head with a level playing field. welcome all pc trolls, this isnt a huge deal.

Reaction Score
So it appears we''re not getting a 4 star kid from Nigeria that goes to school in CT.

We do have a 5-star kid from L.A. and a 5-star kid from NC coming in next year and are on the final lists of 7 or 8 other top 50 kids. I see no issue here.

Reaction Score
how did we get beat? you said it best, his handlers have vested interests. getting beat is when you go head to head with a level playing field. welcome all pc trolls, this isnt a huge deal.

I'm not sure of your actual question. We went head to head and got beat. When other schools lose to UConn it's also a level playing field even when UConn has advantages. It's a free country after all.

Reaction Score

I saw him play at a tourney in July and was totally un-impressed. He's tall and that is all. He can run the floor without tripping over his own feet and he can block shots when he's planted at the rim, but he has no offensive game whatsoever, he was getting pushed off the blocks by someone 5 inches shorter, he's not an aggressive rebounder, and in general he didn't have much impact on a game in which he was the only player being heavily recruited. He is a project that might grow up to be Hilton Armstrong or he might grow up to be Charles Okwandu - he would not contribute in his first 2 years at all. My feeling at the time I saw him was that if Providence wanted him, they could have him.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure of your actual question. We went head to head and got beat. When other schools lose to UConn it's also a level playing field even when UConn has advantages. It's a free country after all.

So why bring up his handlers in the first place? To me, when outside forces have intentions of their own and not whats best for the kid, thats not a level playing field. If you polled 100 potential recruits to pick 2 schools on this kids offer list, i doubt any would come up with a final 2 of st. joes and pc.

Reaction Score
So why bring up his handlers in the first place? To me, when outside forces have intentions of their own and not whats best for the kid, thats not a level playing field. If you polled 100 potential recruits to pick 2 schools on this kids offer list, i doubt any would come up with a final 2 of st. joes and pc.

UConn grabbing Rudy Gay was largely a result of Gay's relationship with a guy Calhoun knew since the Reggie Lewis years at N'eastern. Surely, that counts as a UConn win over Maryland in recruiting. Just as Gary Williams snagged Nik Caner-Medley from UConn while at the same time forwarding tens of thousands of dollars worth of F4 tix to NCM's AAU coach.

Reaction Score
His sister goes to St. Joe's and Cooley has been recruiting him since he was at Fairfield and has a relationship with the kid and the "parents" he lives with. The kid has different priorities than most recruits.

I've never seen him play either but from reading stuff on him my guess is that he'll be a project at first. But UConn has taken much less heralded tall projects and turned them into very good productive players. I'm sure Ollie would have taken him but I get the sense he was never real interested in UConn.

Reaction Score
Paschal is a real rising star, that is what the NBA camp coaches reported and I saw him during the AAU season so I disagree with the negatives being thrown around, it smells like sour grapes. When we signed Brimah I think we took ourselves out of the recruitment. What did we tell Paschal by that move, he was in the building the same day as Brimah and KO offered Brimah. I hope Brimah works out, I trust KO but I think Paschal would have helped us a lot more, he's going to be a defensive stopper, but I get it, Brimah committed first as soon as we offered. Paschal's AAU coach told me Paschal's family really liked the Huskies and KO but kids make the decisions and possibly sitting freshman year, well???. I think Providence and St. Joe's as final picks relates to good friends he might have on both teams as well as the coaching staffs. I think St. Joe's has red shirt friend from Nigeria and Providence has Dunn and a CBC teammate.
Oh well any way you look at it we have Brimah and I would rather have one young center than none, which is what Providence might end up with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom