Christyn Williams is in Edmonton for 3x3 tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams is in Edmonton for 3x3 tournament

Reaction Score
I do agree with the assists. She is getting some good chemistry with Alarie. Must be fun being the dominant player in Sabrina's absence.

I believe that the stats shared on this message board previously may have favored Williams significantly when both Ionescu and Williams played together in a 3-on-3 event held prior to the Pan Am Games. Ionescu is ball dominant, so Williams will get fewer clearouts when the two are teamed together in 3-on-3 formats. And,,,, those two will be frequent teammates in the future in these events. Williams, Ionescu, and two mobile 6'3'+ bigs should win USA its fair share of these events in the future.

Reaction Score
Maybe she should save her travel for the regular season and postseason. I do not see much value in a 3 on 3 tournament.
I won't argue the value of 3 on 3 I have questions. My concern is her playing this long this hard AND traveling How much petro will be left in the tank come December? Even energetic kids have energy that runs short

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One thing's for sure, she LOVES the game. And, dunno about anyone else, but travel was super fun for me in my 20s. I didn't find it a burden at all... being home was kind of boring.

Traveling is always nice, young or old; especially on someone else’s dime. ;)

Reaction Score
In Canada's first game, they looked very pedestrian (shooting particularly poorly) against the undersized 3 team member Czech team. They do get alot of easy points on set plays but they can definitely be defensed. US should have a good shot if they bring their A game.
The Canadians played that way because in most of Canada, not Quebec or Montreal, Otowa, etc, there are few cara and people can actually walk across streets.

Reaction Score
Traveling is always nice, young or old; especially on someone else’s dime. ;)
Travel broadens one's sit down. Travel is fun, even on an others nickle . Even then just traveling wears one out. I'd travel 4 weeks out of most months and at a young age I needed recovery time. Traveling on anothers dime ain't all we wish it were.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. 3X3 is great for playing through contact and moving without the ball. KLS could have used this type of experience early on. Geno is always learning and trying new things with his players.
Lou does have this experience.
Gold Medals: 2014 Youth Olympic Games, 2014 FIBA U17 World Championship, 2013 FIBA Americas U16 Championship, 2013 FIBA 3x3 U18 World Championship, 2013 FIBA Americas 3x3 U18 Championship

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She's a rock star. No problem for her...

I’m going to gingerly step out a limb here and suggest that Christyn is vigorously enjoying her college experience to this point. She sure looks like she’s enjoying the moment here. To say that she’s a fan favorite is an understatement.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I’m going to gingerly step out a limb here and suggest that Christyn is vigorously enjoying her college experience to this point. She sure looks like she’s enjoying the moment here. To say that she’s a fan favorite is an understatement.

Setting the stage for Paige and Azzi

Reaction Score
My previous post noted that someone had posted Williams' and Ionescu's stats for a 3-on-3 tourney that they played together prior to the Pan Am Games. That tourney was held in France. I believe the USA team went 1-3 in that event. As shown in the chart/attachment provided by MarlboroughMike below, Williams' stats were better than Ionescu's stats in France. I acknowledge that Ionescu was very good in Lima and led the US to the Gold in that tourney. I don't have it out for Ionescu. I simply refuse to worship her like some women's basketball fans seem to like to do.

I'm beginning to think you just have it out for Ionescu.

According to the team stats for the tournament:

Ionescu averaged 7.2 PPG, 52% FG, 57% 2pt, 44% 1pt, 7:32 minutes per game.
Williams averaged 3 PPG, 38% FG, 18% 2pt, 46% 1pt, 8:37 minutes per game.

So Ionescu scored more than twice as many points in less time on court per game, had triple the 2pt shooting rate, and had shot .52 compared to Williams' .38, and yet the stats favored Williams significantly?

Christyn had a great tournament

View attachment 45308

Last edited:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
1st Day Second Game ( USA vs. Italy )
Much Better game for CW

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
3 POINT CONTEST, Winning Performance by CW
She started out cold but ended strong, despite just finishing her second game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting 3pt contest. CW scored 10/21

Michelle Plouffe (Canada) had 9 with 5 balls left and could not sink the last 2 ones or 3 twos.

Girl after CW had 0/21. Never seen that.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Actually, I think he handled Onyenware the best of the three. Goodman does not count. :rolleyes:
I think that , in French speaking parts of Canada, Goodman is pronounced Bon Homme.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada into the finals. Tough gut wrenching win over Italy. They can be beat.

US against Spain in the semifinals. We played them and won 13-9

Interesting story about CW and the fact that she could not collect on a $500 dollar prize for winning the 3pt competition so the money will go to charity.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice 21-11 win for US over a game but exhausted Spain team who was playing the second game of the day and only had 3 players.

Now, we get Canada. This should be fun.

Reaction Score
Williams dominated off the dribble and got into the lane at will during the semifinal game today to lead USA to a comfortable win over Spain. The USA will play the favored Canada squad in the final later this afternoon.

In the 3x3 international game, Williams has already become a nightmare to guard with her effective hesitation dribble, strong legs and base to combat the pushing and holding that is allowed, and willingness to absorb and give contact going to her left or the right. If given the opportunity to isolate at UConn, she will draw lots of fouls from the opposition going forward.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oh well. Canada holds off the US 19-17. Our inexperience and Canada able to defend our drives and forcing us outside was too much. Canada also shot better than I had seen, CW shot very well from outside but few driving baskets, Onyenwere was also good with tough shots.

Reaction Score
Canada's Plouffe sisters at 6'3" are mobile, sturdy/strong, clever with their footwork inside the paint, can handle the ball, and are solid shooters from distance. Williams and Onyenwere are athletic and skilled, but give up length and experience to Canada in the 3x3 game in which fouls are called only sporadically within the paint.

Who might the US deploy in the future to shut down the Plouffe sisters in 3x3 action at international tournaments? Rhyne Howard (Kentucky) is 6'2", but may not have the girth to combat the Plouffes in the paint. Ruthie Hebard (Oregon) is 6'4", but may not be mobile and fit enough to chase the Plouffes around the court for an entire game.

Does the US have a 6'3"+ female player in its college ranks who can combat what Canada's Plouffes have to offer in the world of 3x3?

There are reasons why Canada has won more than its share of these 3x3 circuit events.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada's Plouffe sisters at 6'3" are mobile, sturdy/strong, clever with their footwork inside the paint, can handle the ball, and are solid shooters from distance. Williams and Onyenwere are athletic and skilled, but give up length and experience to Canada in the 3x3 game in which fouls are called only sporadically within the paint.

Who might the US deploy in the future to shut down the Plouffe sisters in 3x3 action at international tournaments? Rhyne Howard (Kentucky) is 6'2", but may not have the girth to combat the Plouffes in the paint. Ruthie Hebard (Oregon) is 6'4", but may not be mobile and fit enough to chase the Plouffes around the court for an entire game.

Does the US have a 6'3"+ female player in its college ranks who can combat what Canada's Plouffes have to offer in the world of 3x3?

There are reasons why Canada has won more than its share of these 3x3 circuit events.

Replace Alarie with Hebard and Goodman with Sabrina and that should be our best team by far but I guess Sabrina may be on the 5 x 5 team? Hebard can definitely match up with the Plouffes in the paint.

Today, they hit enough 2 pointers to make their drives unguardable.

No need to be embarrassed. This is Canada's 4th straight win on the 3 x 3 circuit. We played them to the end.

Reaction Score
I know Satou Sabally was born in the US but claims German Nationality due to her German mother and growing up there. At 6' 4" with her stroke and translatable skills she would have the potential to be one of the best 3x3 players in the world should she give it a go. Being born in the US would she be eligible to switch to repping the USA?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom