Christyn Williams is in Edmonton for 3x3 tournament | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams is in Edmonton for 3x3 tournament

Reaction Score
I disagree that 3x3 experience is of little value. The UCONN offense is a thing of beauty, however, in select games (e.g., Baylor) when the normal shots that flow from it are not falling it would be terrific to have a player like Christyn employ the half-court skills gleaned from 3x3 to generate needed buckets.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Squeaks was just in Miami with Phee, Liv, the GOAT, et al. She gets around!

Has shoes, will travel !!! (here she's showing us the shoes)

1569087479910.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
fresh off USA WNT camp in Miami. I can't find a link to the tournament site. Starts tomorrow.

I don’t know what Christyn’s major is, but her minor has to be basketball. I believe this is her 3rd tournament this summer. Is there anyone here that doubts Christyn has already made the sophomore leap? :eek: When does she find time to rest? Good luck team USA.

Reaction Score
Maybe she should save her travel for the regular season and postseason. I do not see much value in a 3 on 3 tournament.
One thing's for sure, she LOVES the game. And, dunno about anyone else, but travel was super fun for me in my 20s. I didn't find it a burden at all... being home was kind of boring.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US wins 13-9. Spain only had 3 players. CW had trouble in the beginning but got better in the middle. She missed quite a few chippee's after workign hard to drive to good position, Onyenwere probably had the best game. Efficient mid range game.

Reaction Score
USA won its first game today over #2-seeded Spain. USA will play Italy later today.

USA has all four players in this event, unlike the prior one in Montreal. Spain played with only three players today and looked a bit winded. The four players for USA in Edmonton are: Williams, Alarie, Onyenwere, and Goodman. I saw the last four minutes of the first game live. Onyenwere and Williams appeared to be the most effective of our four. Williams hit a contested two from beyond the arc to provide USA with some late game separation. Most of the USA clearouts on offense have the ball in the hands of Onyenwere or Williams. Both are consistently able to break down their defenders to create their own shots, usually on spin moves.

You can view a video replay of the games via the link below. The USA-Spain game was the second one of the tournament.

Reaction Score
One benefit to 3X3 is learning to score through contact because they don't call a lot of contact fouls. I think Williams is going to be shooting a lot of ft's this season. Hope she's been practicing.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. 3X3 is great for playing through contact and moving without the ball. KLS could have used this type of experience early on. Geno is always learning and trying new things with his players.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
CW is the perfect player for 3x3 because she's fast, physical, and great at creating her own shot. As long as she's not exhausted from this extended off-season, it will only make her that much better this coming season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
CW went off in game 2. She Finally remembered she is one of the best and strongest drivers in the world and also nailed the buzzer beater 2 and had some other long shots. Beat's Italy 21-15. Every once in a while, she is careless with the ball and not sure her defense is as good as it should be but I imagine US vs Canada in the finals which should be fun.

By the way, the announcer could not pronounce any of our player names. :oops:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok, I get it a bit with Alarie and Onyenware, but "Christyn Wiliams?" Really? How else do you say it, Christeen Wheel-uhms?

Actually, I think he handled Onyenware the best of the three. Goodman does not count. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I concur with eebmg in an above post. Italy had no defensive answer for Williams in the second game today. Canada has a very experienced 3-on-3 team and is currently ranked #2 (behind France) in the world in 3-on-3. If Williams asserts herself offensively against Canada later in this tourney like she did today, USA will have a chance to finally win one of these events.

Canada's four players will have some length on Williams, but her ability to create separation with a tight spin has been a difference maker thus far in Edmonton. Playing against the grown women during the recent AmeriCup trials has elevated her game.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thought she was the best player in that second game both offense and defense - scored at will and had two good assists to Alarie as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I concur with eebmg in the above post. Italy had no defensive answer for Williams in the second game today. Canada has a very experienced 3-on-3 team and are currently ranked #2 (behind France) in the world in 3-on-3. If Williams asserts herself against Canada later in this tourney like she did today, USA will have a chance to finally win one of these events.

Canada will have some length on Williams, but her ability to create separation with a tight spin has been a difference maker thus far in Edmonton. Playing against the grown women during the recent Americup trials has elevated her game.

In Canada's first game, they looked very pedestrian (shooting particularly poorly) against the undersized 3 team member Czech team. They do get alot of easy points on set plays but they can definitely be defensed. US should have a good shot if they bring their A game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thought she was the best player in that second game both offense and defense - scored at will and had two good assists to Alarie as well.

Her defense is good in the post and she rebounds like a banshee but she often does not close out.

I do agree with the assists. She is getting some good chemistry with Alarie. Must be fun being the dominant player in Sabrina's absence.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Ok, I get it a bit with Alarie and Onyenware, but "Christyn Wiliams?" Really? How else do you say it, Christeen Wheel-uhms?

I’m listening to a volleyball game right now where one of the commentators keeps mispronouncing the name of the visiting mascot. They’ve been in the same conference for twenty years.

Argonauts ≠ Aggronauts

We’re just prepping our ears for a full season of Olivia Nelson-Odobo on ESPN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom