Christyn Williams DESERVES to be a wooden nominee this year! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams DESERVES to be a wooden nominee this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's not an insignificant distinction for any Uconn WBB player. It's a significant distinction for any college player. I tried to give CW the credit she deserves for being in that conversation. That's all.
Nice try and I'm sure Christyn appreciates your efforts. This is UCONN women's basketball that you are talking about. You can go through all the current and past biographies of the UCONN WBB players and you will not find anywhere an accomplish listed as being a "finalist" for an awards. That would would be rather embarrassing considering current or former UCONN players have won every noteworthy award including the one that is the subject of this thread. Contrast that with the Bio for Charisma Osbourne of UCLA ( since you brought her up) and you will find this item: "Ann Meyers Drysdale Award Top 10 Finalist … Naismith Trophy Midseason Team honoree.

You previously stated that "Christyn needs better fans". Clearly Christyn needs a more informed advocate.
Try Harder Mia Mottley GIF by GIPHY News

Reaction Score
imagine using a boxscore to determine if a player is worthy of being good or not lolllll. I'm sure there is a player in cbb that averages 15 a game but their record is under 500, who cares how many pts a game they have, are they contributing to wins?

Reaction Score
She's led the team in scoring exactly three times this year (only once each in rebounds and assists), and that's on a team wracked with injuries. I don't honestly see her as anywhere close to top 20 in Division I. She had one sensational game against Minnesota, a handful of solid games, and a number of lackluster games.

Reaction Score
Life is not fair. There are still the games at the end of
the regular season, the Big East Tournament, and the
NCAA tournament. Christyn ( and the rest of her
teammates ) will continue to pull together for the
award that matters most = A Championship! Go Huskies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Unfortunately or fortunately, when you go to UConn the bar is a little bit higher. Pressure is a privilege!

Regardless of the stats, when you watch Jones, Owusu, and Horston they are leading their team and being the protagonist which gets attention. Chrystin just can't seem to do that for our team. Caroline is everywhere just killing herself to win and Chrystin just doesn't.... I'm sorry about it because she has so much talent.

With the injuries, Chrystin should have this team on her back scoring 25 a night as a senior.... Then she'd be on the list.
25 a night. Ok. Wow. They were run off the floor by Oregon. Guess who didn’t play. Maybe you haven’t noticed but they aren’t exactly losing games.

Reaction Score
So the data is unimportant and no uconn player would care at all about being recognized as one of the the finalist for a national basketball award. And I'm the ignorant one. Got it. I make a living studying metrics. The data is very significant. Professional athletes are paid based on metrics. Businesses are created and managed based on metrics. But some of you are grasping at straws literally saying the data is not very important. Saying a 21 year old athlete whose financial future is largely going to be based on metrics will find such an award unimportant. How does one debate this level of ignorance? Rhyne Howard of Kentucky is projected to be one of the top 2 or 3 picks in the WNBA but her team has a losing record. I guess that means every GM in the WNBA is a dummy then LOL. Imagine that. They look at the boxscore folks. They look at the data and their overall eval is definitely impacted by the data.

I'm sure that being recognized as one of the top players in CBB right now would be very important to any of our players. And I'm also sure that CW should be at least in the conversation. If she isn't selected it isn't as if they don't like her or are biased. It is probably that she was one of many in that conversation.

Reaction Score
I support and root for any and all of the young women on the Team. Christyn is an above average player. Unfortunately she has disappeared in more then a few games in long stretches and that alone is why I feel she doesn't belong on the list. Consistency is the key. She has ability to be there but.......

Reaction Score
also Williams is not a lock to be a 1st rder, I've seen the br wnba mock and winsider draft and they don't have Williams a 1st rder which surprised me considering she was there the past season. Also has Olivia out of the 1st rd which was another surprise and Westbrook a 1st rder who I thought would go 2nd or later. From both mocks the common players to go top 12 were: Nalyssa/Rhyne Howard, Hillmon, Cunane, Joens,Bell, Shakira Austin, Rae Burrell, Cubaj, Burton, Henderson.

Reaction Score
I agree that C-Dub's name should be on that list. Sadly, it is just another slight to her and her career at UConn.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So the data is unimportant and no uconn player would care at all about being recognized as one of the the finalist for a national basketball award. And I'm the ignorant one. Got it. I make a living studying metrics. The data is very significant. Professional athletes are paid based on metrics. Businesses are created and managed based on metrics. But some of you are grasping at straws literally saying the data is not very important. Saying a 21 year old athlete whose financial future is largely going to be based on metrics will find such an award unimportant. How does one debate this level of ignorance? Rhyne Howard of Kentucky is projected to be one of the top 2 or 3 picks in the WNBA but her team has a losing record. I guess that means every GM in the WNBA is a dummy then LOL. Imagine that. They look at the boxscore folks. They look at the data and their overall eval is definitely impacted by the data.

I'm sure that being recognized as one of the top players in CBB right now would be very important to any of our players. And I'm also sure that CW should be at least in the conversation. If she isn't selected it isn't as if they don't like her or are biased. It is probably that she was one of many in that conversation.
Being a top draft pick and being a wooden award winner/finalist are two different things. These players aren't going to put the award on their resumes when hoping to make it into the WNBA. I also can't tell if you're now arguing that Williams should win the award or if just being considered is enough? To be clear, no UConn fans compiled the Wooden List. I don't think anyone who roots for UConn is wishing Christyn didn't play for UConn. I remember her freshman year when she had her breakout game against Notre Dame scoring 28 points vs the reigning national champions. She was instant offense. The Boneyard was buzzing. The bummer is she hasn't had many games like that since. I think she shines the brightest when she isn't the primary offensive threat.

Megan Gustafson won multiple National Player of the Year awards in 2019 (Wooden winner was some sophomore named Sabrina Ionescu). She was then selected by the Dallas Wings in the second round with the 17th pick. Later that season she was cut. She eventually found her way to the Mystics but hasn't played a consistent amount of minutes to really be a high level WNBA player. That year she averaged 27.8 ppg on 69.6% with 13.4 rebounds.

Nina Davis from Baylor was a Wooden award finalist for two seasons ('15 and '16) and was the Big12 player of the year in 2015. That season she scored 21.1 ppgs on 58.4% shooting and added 8.3 rebounds a game. Her senior year she averaged 13 ppg on 56.3% shooting with 5.6 rebounds. By this season, Kalani Brown was a sophomore and Lauren Cox was a freshmen, so her usage dropped. She did not make a finalist list that season and went undrafted. The stats don't matter for Davis when it comes to the WNBA because she was a 5'11" forward with minimal perimeter skill. The recognition of the "Finalist" didn't help her.

Also, while I think Rhyne Howard's senior season, from a team perspective, has been a bust (and Junior season really) and she doesn't demand the ball like a true star, she is still averaging 20.4 ppgs (43.5%) and 7.6 rebounds and 2.7 steals. She's also averaged all that for her entire UK Career for the most part. But Howard from an individual player stand point seems very smooth on the ball and she's a big guard who can seemingly score at will while being UK's primary scorer. Teams know Howard is the go-to and so their defensive plans center around slowing her down. I don't think she should be considered just based on her teams record but it's an individual award and she's a talented player, who leads Williams in those above stats minus shooting %.

I've watched almost every NC State game that's been on TV for the past two years and I'm still waiting to be impressed by Cunane as everyone else is. Even her game the other day against GT, she was like 0-10 in the first half. She struggles against bigger and strong posts it seems. Mock drafts have her going 6th or 7th. Her stats aren't gaudy 13.2 (50.9%) 7.6 rebounds but her team is leading the ACC and has been in the national conversation since her sophomore season.

I think you keep using the pressure of her being a UConn and the expectations being unfair to her and that's what's preventing her from getting the attention she deserves, but I have to imagine if she wasn't playing for UConn we wouldn't be having this discussion. Williams hasn't even won a Big East Player of the Week award yet. So she's hasn't been able to do herself any favors in the resume booster. UConn doesn't always need a Wooden finalist, granted, if Bueckers wasn't injured it would be her. Williams may end up being like a Kiah Stokes. Good at what she does but always living more to be desired based on potential. Stokes was never a Wooden finalist but was drafted 11th in the first round. She is now in her 6th season and signed a 1 year contract for 115,000 with the Aces.

But ONO could have used your zest when people thought Dorka MIGHT and eventually did transfer to UConn. But I almost feel like ONO deserves to be on the Wooden list before Williams. ONO has stepped up big time this season. She leads the team in the following categories: Assists (4.1), FG% (58.3%), Rebounds (8.2), Steals (1.5), and Blocks (1.9). I believe she's also the only player to play every day this season. But she only averages 10ppg so she gets overlooked from an awards standpoint.

Owusu and Williams numbers are very similar actually.
Owusu 14.2 ppg, 3.3 rbs, 4 assists, 1.1 steals, 2.4 TO
Williams 14.6 ppg, 3.5 rbs, 2.6 assists, 1.4 steals, 2.1 TO
They average about the same FGA (12.3 and 12.6) and Williams makes ~45% of her shots while Owusu makes ~40% when it comes to 3pg% Williams averages 32.2% (4.1 3FGA) and Owusu averages 42.2% (1.2 3FGA). Williams FT% is 67% and Owusu's is 83%. Owusu also has the benefit of playing for a Team USA over the summer.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Christyn is a senior about to be a 1st round draft pick probably and many of you want her to be Larry Bird every night.
Want her to be like Larry Bird? No, Not really! We have freshman Caroline as our Larry Bird!
This video clip sums it all up. A freshman, albeit a great freshman nonetheless a freshman, directing a junior who should have recognized the cut. Meghan corrects her initial call giving Paige the proper credit.

Reaction Score
If you look at the list of nominees, Christyn Williams has performed at a higher level than at least 4-5 of these nominees. Scoring, Shooting percentage, Defense, Overall game. She's not just one of our top scorers. She's also our shutdown guard defender. She doesn't get NEARLY the credit she deserves. She warrants being recognized appropriately.

You've got to be kidding ? But I guess everyone has a right to their own opinion.[/url]

Reaction Score
Nice try and I'm sure Christyn appreciates your efforts. This is UCONN women's basketball that you are talking about. You can go through all the current and past biographies of the UCONN WBB players and you will not find anywhere an accomplish listed as being a "finalist" for an awards. That would would be rather embarrassing considering current or former UCONN players have won every noteworthy award including the one that is the subject of this thread. Contrast that with the Bio for Charisma Osbourne of UCLA ( since you brought her up) and you will find this item: "Ann Meyers Drysdale Award Top 10 Finalist … Naismith Trophy Midseason Team honoree.

You previously stated that "Christyn needs better fans". Clearly Christyn needs a more informed advocate.
Try Harder Mia Mottley GIF by GIPHY News
Ad hominem attacks. Awful!!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Unfortunately or fortunately, when you go to UConn the bar is a little bit higher. Pressure is a privilege!

Regardless of the stats, when you watch Jones, Owusu, and Horston they are leading their team and being the protagonist which gets attention. Chrystin just can't seem to do that for our team. Caroline is everywhere just killing herself to win and Chrystin just doesn't.... I'm sorry about it because she has so much talent.

With the injuries, Chrystin should have this team on her back scoring 25 a night as a senior.... Then she'd be on the list.
Name a UConn player who has averaged 25 points a game as a senior or any other year. Neither Owusu nor Jones are playing at an AA level this season. They have both been inconsistent. If you are going to use consistency as a measuring tool, use it for all players. However, I agree that Williams has not been consistently good enough to be a nominee, but that can be said of some others on the list.

Reaction Score
Only on the Boneyard can a relatively simple event be made too complex. Few seem to think Christyn should win this award so why don't we just congratulate her on being names and be done with it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Late to this party but... I have no issue if she's included or not included. For all the fans who say she lacks consistency, they are 100% right. BUT...

We watch every single UCONN game (or at least we follow them on the radio or by looking at the stats and other comments by posters). When comparing her stats to others who some think are less worthy, what about their game by game performances? Maybe Christyn DOES deserve a better look - maybe those other players she's being compared to are also very inconsistent.

I hardly think any of us follow other teams nearly as closely as UCONN. I agree 100% Christyn is inconsistent. Her 3-point shot goes off the rails more often than not, it seems. But I can't say she's undeserving when comparing her to some of the others near the bottom of the list. I'd need to know how inconsistent those players are. Hope that makes sense

Other side note - there is nothing wrong with NOT being a star. Christyn does some things very well, but I've not even seen her defense as strong as it was at the end of last season. Why is that? if she was consistently locking down opponents 1st or 2nd scoring options, maybe she'd get more love. But she's a solid player who is going to be very much needed if UCONN wants to make a deep run when healthy.

Reaction Score
I tried to do something nice for Christyn. I put several hours into the project. Researched every player. I mainly just wanted to put her in the conversation because nothing any of us say is going to change the process. And what happens is one negative Nancy after another doing huge mental gymnastics to come up with every conceivable reason why she wasn't in that conversation even though her numbers were very similar and sometimes better. It's so easy to crap on someone. Project our own failings upon them as if anything these girls do has any bearing on our own achievements and self esteem. Christyn disapointed some of you because she wasn't a superstar every game and you didn't get your NC the last few years. So you project it onto her. It's really inapproppriate. All you had to do was say yes, she has had a great career and was in the conversation. Instead you chose to make something good into something bad.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
It's all about the numbers. NOT!

Here are the criteria. No mention is made about how (or if) they are weighted.

Candidate Criteria

• Candidates must be full-time students in an accredited NCAA college or university.
  • Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and aspirations. All candidates must have a cumulative 2.00 grade point average since enrolling in their current university.
  • Candidates must exhibit strength of character, both on and off the court.
  • Candidates should be those who contribute to team effort.
  • Candidates must excel in both offense and defense.
  • Candidates should be considered on their performance over the course of the entire season (pre-conference, conference and tournament play).

source: About

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I tried to do something nice for Christyn. I put several hours into the project. Researched every player. I mainly just wanted to put her in the conversation because nothing any of us say is going to change the process. And what happens is one negative Nancy after another doing huge mental gymnastics to come up with every conceivable reason why she wasn't in that conversation even though her numbers were very similar and sometimes better. It's so easy to crap on someone. Project our own failings upon them as if anything these girls do has any bearing on our own achievements and self esteem. Christyn disapointed some of you because she wasn't a superstar every game and you didn't get your NC the last few years. So you project it onto her. It's really inapproppriate. All you had to do was say yes, she has had a great career and was in the conversation. Instead you chose to make something good into something bad.
:eek:You tried to do something nice for Christyn, spent several hours on it & this is the best you could do?
-I asking for my friends Negative Nancy & Doubting Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104