Christyn Williams back in WNBA | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams back in WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is truly “better late than never” for Christyn. I had always felt that Christyn’s strength and ability to attack the basket would be a big advantage in the W. Hopefully, she’ll be able to make an impact quickly.

Reaction Score
The rest of the season is two games, both against Las Vegas (good luck with that). Still I hope Christyn gets some minutes and a chance to show what she can do, hopefully leading to a contract next season.

Reaction Score
Great news for C-Dub. I am sure she is thankful for the opportunity, no matter how many games are left in the season, to suit up and hopefully get some minutes out on the floor. Huge moment for Christyn and her family. Just happy for her to get this chance to play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for her! I think she was drafted by the Mystics? How did she get to Phx? Was she traded?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, she is listed as doubtful on the injury report with a knee injury. Not clear why they are doing this unless it is some kind of Nykesha Sales kind of thing, which seems weird. Going to watch anyway. Could be the last time we see DT3 on the court (even on the bench as she is injured too).

Reaction Score
I think this gives them the right to sign her next year at the begining of the season. To give up the rights to her for next year they would have to release her between now and then. Pretty smart, really.

Reaction Score
Good for her! I think she was drafted by the Mystics? How did she get to Phx? Was she traded?

During training camp she tore here acl. She was released before the start of this season because she was still rehabbing. She is now done and Phoenix signed her for the last 2 games

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if she gets minutes or not. This season is over and she'll undoubtedly get some trials to prove herself before next season. She's a talented young woman and if completely rehabilitated, she'll hook on with some team. Then she'll have to earn her minutes.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Please clarify, what does this mean?
It sounds like she was signed by Mercury as a "hardship maternity replacement" Thus according to the twitter/X posters notes, her rights are not retained by the Mercury. She can sign anywhere. Perhaps Mercury wanted to see her in practice to see how she moves before determining whether she can still make it at the WNBA level.

Reaction Score
Reality check. C. Williams has little chance to make an WNBA roster. He best chance was the year she was drafted. When players do not make it then, they really need to be outstanding in some foriegn league to even get another chance. This signing, appears to be a favor so that CW can say that she was once on a WNBA roster.

Two things point to that. The Mercs were already out of the playoffs so it was no big deal to sign her for a couple of days. What makes the signing suspicious is that she was only listed on the roster for the first Aces game. In that game she was listed as injured and unavailable to play. Why would a team that was short handed sign a player that was not able to play? Why? Because she was never expected to play. In the game on Sunday she was not even listed in the box score as injured or other wise. Is she injured again? While to her credit she put on a lot of muscle during her last season at Uconn, because she knew she had to improve. However, it is possible that her body is not built to carry that much weight and it makes her susceptible to to leg injuries. Does not bode well.

olddude, stated that he expected CW strength and the ability to use that on drives to the basket to allow her to thrive in the WNBA. A guard is not going to make it in the league just driving to the basket. The WNBA is not college basketball. Each team has plenty of rim protectors. Guards have to be super quick along with having consistent out side shots. CW, while not slow for college standards, is not quick WNBA level and is much to inconsistent from the outside to be a viable WNBA player. She is very streaky, with her scoring coming sporadically when all the stars a-line. And that was even at the college level.

Many of you just do not realize just how difficult it is to make a WNBA roster. Few openings with more players coming in every year. I suppose first impressions are always harder to overcome. That being that after her scoring performance in the Mc Donalds game, many Uconn fans had her pegged as a potential superstar and they still keep expecting her to fullfull that prespective.

Reaction Score
Reality check. C. Williams has little chance to make an WNBA roster. He best chance was the year she was drafted. When players do not make it then, they really need to be outstanding in some foriegn league to even get another chance. This signing, appears to be a favor so that CW can say that she was once on a WNBA roster.

Two things point to that. The Mercs were already out of the playoffs so it was no big deal to sign her for a couple of days. What makes the signing suspicious is that she was only listed on the roster for the first Aces game. In that game she was listed as injured and unavailable to play. Why would a team that was short handed sign a player that was not able to play? Why? Because she was never expected to play. In the game on Sunday she was not even listed in the box score as injured or other wise. Is she injured again? While to her credit she put on a lot of muscle during her last season at Uconn, because she knew she had to improve. However, it is possible that her body is not built to carry that much weight and it makes her susceptible to to leg injuries. Does not bode well.

olddude, stated that he expected CW strength and the ability to use that on drives to the basket to allow her to thrive in the WNBA. A guard is not going to make it in the league just driving to the basket. The WNBA is not college basketball. Each team has plenty of rim protectors. Guards have to be super quick along with having consistent out side shots. CW, while not slow for college standards, is not quick WNBA level and is much to inconsistent from the outside to be a viable WNBA player. She is very streaky, with her scoring coming sporadically when all the stars a-line. And that was even at the college level.

Many of you just do not realize just how difficult it is to make a WNBA roster. Few openings with more players coming in every year. I suppose first impressions are always harder to overcome. That being that after her scoring performance in the Mc Donalds game, many Uconn fans had her pegged as a potential superstar and they still keep expecting her to fullfull that prespective.

Many of us do realize how hard it is to make the roster. The reason she didn't make a team the year she got drafted is because she torn her ACL. I believe she tore more than that as well. She was not ready at the beginning of this year, so she wasn't even invited to any training camps. Do I have answers as to why the Mercury signed her? Nope. I do know that she is working/worked very hard to get healthy. She may not make in the W, but please know, it had nothing to do with her weight/extra muscle she put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom