Christyn Earns High Praise from Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Christyn Earns High Praise from Geno

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some of Christyn’s moves are magnificent in their subtlety. When she’s driving down either wing with a defender in front of her, she will hesitate ever so slightly. When the defender slows with her, Christyn throws it into overdrive, blowing by the defender to the basket. She made Turner and Ogunbowle look foolish on multiple occasions with that move on Sunday.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
DT wasn't exactly known as a defensive stalwart either.
Indeed. CW however has the physical and mental tools to become an excellent on ball defender. As Geno says, this is the worse she's going to be. I just think some of the posters here should dial back on the GO Fund Me for her statue unveiling just yet.

Last edited:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Indeed. CW however has the physical and mental tools to become an excellent on ball defender. As Geno says, this is the worse she's going to be. I just think some of the posters here should dial back on the GO Fund for her statue unveiling just yet.
You have your opinion. Let them have theirs.... we get it, they are too optimistic for you. I think you've mentioned it 3 or 4 or more times now in this thread.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Christyn does not seem to rush, she is composed. She is not afraid to go to the basket or take a 3 as the occasion warrants. Noticed this even before the ND game. And she finished, didn't she. Me thinks her assists and defense will improve as the opposition will target her more in the future. Did Geno started CW in all the games this season? My mind is a little blurry about that.

That is evident!! Let's be real. Who is more imposing on UConn's schedule than ND? THIS was the BIGGEST game on their schedule. THIS was the game (during the summer) that many pointed to and thought UConn, not could lose, but would lose. ND has been the biggest game on their schedule for the past 10 years.

Christyn is perceived as "fearless". If she was not intimidated by ND, then she won't be intimidated by any other team. ND loses Ogunbowale, Turner, Marina Mabrey and Shepard this May to graduation. That's 4/5 of their starting line up. Only Jackie Young returns.

It will be difficult for them to remain as potent (their bite) as they've been the last few years with the loss of these 4. I realize they have some talented freshmen coming in, but they are freshmen, and will play like freshmen. Their play next year won't remind you of any of their current seniors. Maybe in year two, but not next year.

Reaction Score
Look at the pictures of her in a bb game and compare to the “okey donkey” pictures with Ono. Much different!

JordyG

Reaction Score
You have your opinion. Let them have theirs.... we get it, they are too optimistic for you. I think you've mentioned it 3 or 4 or more times now in this thread.
Ain't seen you in a long minute, and the first thing you do is slice. Now I remember you.

Reaction Score
Well, the only two players CW reminds me of are Maya and Stewie. (I did not see D play in college.)

Yes, yes, we did not have the best recruiting class. Maybe that is a 2nd-order term, as math people like to say. (I used to be a math person. :rolleyes:)

Like D, Maya, and Stewie, she can elevate everyone else's game.

I suspect MW has barely scratched the surface of her enormous potential.

We may well be fearsome next year. (ONO will be very, very good, as we all know.)

Well, enough of that. ;)

I look forward to playing Cal and then Baylor on their courts. Should be fun.

Reaction Score
An out of shape Mabrey that matadored on two of CW's fast break layups. That could barely keep up on the defensive end. That missed her first bunny after losing CW on a early crossover. That consistently beat CW off the dribble even in the 4th quarter after she'd run out of gas. That uncharacteristically missed numerous open 3's. Yeah, that Mabrey. CW is going to be a legendary player for UConn in my estimation, no doubt. But let's just scale back on the HOF nominations just a bit.
@JordyG--Mabry from my uninitiated vantage point looked much too heavy. Both teams were sucking air in the 4th qtr. --Matadored==Can I use that one sometime? Nice descriptive word or wording. I must honestly say I didn't follow Mabrey except when the camera isolated her in some action scenes. It is kinda bad predictor for Muffet if she allows her starters to begin the year this out of shape. Could account for the two quick loses--Matadored!! Thanks.

Reaction Score
Ain't seen you in a long minute, and the first thing you do is slice. Now I remember you.
If I were grading you on phrasolog you'd get an A plus.. First matadored, now "first thing you do is slice!" Don't stop you make reading these just fun, thanks.

Reaction Score
Geno’s not so subtle way of keeping Christyn “hungry & humble.”
This is one kid you don't want to be too humble. Keep her confidence stratospheric and she' win a lot of games. If she gets kicked in the confidence--???

JordyG

Reaction Score
@JordyG--Mabry from my uninitiated vantage point looked much too heavy. Both teams were sucking air in the 4th qtr. --Matadored==Can I use that one sometime? Nice descriptive word or wording. I must honestly say I didn't follow Mabrey except when the camera isolated her in some action scenes. It is kinda bad predictor for Muffet if she allows her starters to begin the year this out of shape. Could account for the two quick loses--Matadored!! Thanks.
If Mabrey wasn't such a whiney little brat I'd almost (and the barest of almosts) feel sorry for her. But the truth was MM had no choice since her two other PG's were sitting at the end of the bench in warm ups. Mabrey went out for a series, Young stepped in for her, took the ball at the nail and promptly walked. Mabrey quickly came back in.

I'm an ND disliker, not a hater, but Mabrey doea not lend herself to the "warm and toastie" in me. Honestly, she always looks and acts as if she has her shorts perpetually in sailor's knots. I used to think Rick Barry was the worst complainer I'd ever seen. Heck, I once saw him complaining to the ref while he was going up for an and one. Mabery however is, literally and figuratively, in another league.

Reaction Score
That is evident!! Let's be real. Who is more imposing on UConn's schedule than ND? THIS was the BIGGEST game on their schedule. THIS was the game (during the summer) that many pointed to and thought UConn, not could lose, but would lose. ND has been the biggest game on their schedule for the past 10 years.

Christyn is perceived as "fearless". If she was not intimidated by ND, then she won't be intimidated by any other team. ND loses Ogunbowale, Turner, Marina Mabrey and Shepard this May to graduation. That's 4/5 of their starting line up. Only Jackie Young returns.

It will be difficult for them to remain as potent (their bite) as they've been the last few years with the loss of these 4. I realize they have some talented freshmen coming in, but they are freshmen, and will play like freshmen. Their play next year won't remind you of any of their current seniors. Maybe in year two, but not next year.

@Scoop---The highlighted way above ACCUrATE. As usually. The 4 you mention 2 haven't as yet played 3 of 4 years. at ND. Turner, has been at Notre Dame since the first Gulf War or at least it seem and Shepard got her "early in" only last year. This is her Grad Student year. My poorly stated point is: ND has been pretty darn good the last couple of years with out Shepard and or Turner. I wonder just how much they shall harm the ND program next year. Truly AO and Marina (Baby Mabrey) maybe missed more. Muffet seems to get pretty fair results from her freshmen. The ones in the Uconn game showed
they played a bit more Div 1 than some of Uconn's (CW will always be the exception) and ONO's best game) . Shepard in the FF game ran a bit more rampant even with Azura but Napheesa and ONO seemed to keep her checked, do they now have Shepards number--she was a FACTOR in the April win.

Reaction Score
If Mabrey wasn't such a whiney little brat I'd almost (and the barest of almosts) feel sorry for her. But the truth was MM had no choice since her two other PG's were sitting at the end of the bench in warm ups. Mabrey went out for a series, Young stepped in for her, took the ball at the nail and promptly walked. Mabrey quickly came back in.

I'm an ND disliker, not a hater, but Mabrey doea not lend herself to the "warm and toastie" in me. Honestly, she always looks and acts as if she has her shorts perpetually in sailor's knots. I used to think Rick Barry was the worst complainer I'd ever seen. Heck, I once saw him complaining to the ref while he was going up for an and one. Mabery however is, literally and figuratively, in another league.
My daughters called that " waddie" as in got her knickers in a waddie. In the few games I have seen Baby Mabrey play she does a lot of non verbal complaining; something CD would speak to her about at Uconn.

JordyG

Reaction Score
My daughters called that " waddie" as in got her knickers in a waddie. In the few games I have seen Baby Mabrey play she does a lot of non verbal complaining; something CD would speak to her about at Uconn.
What's interesting is if she's not talking to her team mates or the refs, she's having a running conversation with herself. This kids got issues.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart did not start at the beginning of her career: she only started 14 games as a freshman. I think Stefanie Dolson started the most games, at least among players in the last 15-20 years (152 starts in 154 total games). The only players I can find who started every game of their careers were Jen Rizzotti and Sue Bird.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart did not start at the beginning of her career: she only started 14 games as a freshman. I think Stefanie Dolson started the most games, at least among players in the last 15-20 years (152 starts in 154 total games). The only players I can find who started every game of their careers were Jen Rizzotti and Sue Bird.
That is not exactly correct. Stewie started the first 8 games as a freshman. She was inconsistent so Geno sat her and had her come off the bench for a number of games until it got to the end of the season, at which time Stewie went into a nearby phone booth, emerged with her Supergirl suit and carried the Huskies to a championship as a starter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom