Christyn Earns High Praise from Geno | The Boneyard

Christyn Earns High Praise from Geno

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We all know that Geno has his own personal rating system, that quantifies excellence by adding the adverb "really" one or more times to a sentence. In Geno's rating system, the equivalent of 5 stars is 3 really's. After the St Louis game, Geno gave Christyn his highest rating; the first of what should be many.

"She just does things that really, really, really exceptional basketball players do without being told,” Auriemma said. “She just has a knack. You just have to mention things once to her. If anything I don’t think she’s aggressive enough yet. I think she still defers a little bit to the upperclassmen. Christyn, she’s different.”

Reaction Score
We all know that Geno has his own personal rating system, that quantifies excellence by adding the adverb "really" one or more times to a sentence. In Geno's rating system, the equivalent of 5 stars is 3 really's. After the St Louis game, Geno gave Christyn his highest rating; the first of what should be many.

"She just does things that really, really, really exceptional basketball players do without being told,” Auriemma said. “She just has a knack. You just have to mention things once to her. If anything I don’t think she’s aggressive enough yet. I think she still defers a little bit to the upperclassmen. Christyn, she’s different.”

Could he have said less? Truly great WBB players are born great, the parents instilled and worked to maintain that Confidence.
The truly near great (great is in the eyes of the beholder) were confident and knew they could play at this level the day they walked onto the campus at Storrs. CW walks that way all the time. Great basketball players, men or women, played a lot of BB and learned every game--that's CW.
Does CW have things to learn? You bet. Will she be better this year? You bet. If she continues on this trajectory DT may have to move over. Am I wrong ? Could be but I doubt it. I'm waiting for the day she plays in an NC and at the end Pulls out the UConn on her jersey for all to see; like a lesser known Uc player did a few times.

Probably a lot to disagree with here--but I won't retract one word.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Christyn will make mistakes and maybe even have an off game or two this season, there is nothing about her demeanor or play on the court that even remotely lets you know she’s just a freshman.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
While Christyn will make mistakes and maybe even have an off game or two this season, there is nothing about her demeanor or play on the court that even remotely lets you know she’s just a freshman.
Except her defense. Against ND and against St. Louis she again scored just more than she gave up. She may be The Legend, but she ain't perfect yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Except her defense. Against ND and against St. Louis she again scored just more than she gave up. She may be The Legend, but she ain't perfect yet.
While scoring 28, Christyn held senior Marina Mabrey to 11 pts, 2 pts below her season average. That hardly seems like she, “scored just more than she gave up.”

Reaction Score
While scoring 28, Christyn held senior Marina Mabrey to 11 pts, 2 pts below her season average. That hardly seems like she, “scored just more than she gave up.”

DUDE: Align with you on this one, though from a different slant ( not by adding up the points made and allowed) . My take is just from observing the EFFORT she is giving on D. Sure seems to be understanding the importance working hard at it from what I see. Agree?

Reaction Score
Christyn does not seem to rush, she is composed. She is not afraid to go to the basket or take a 3 as the occasion warrants. Noticed this even before the ND game. And she finished, didn't she. Me thinks her assists and defense will improve as the opposition will target her more in the future. Did Geno started CW in all the games this season? My mind is a little blurry about that.

Reaction Score
JordyG--You'll have to forgive me or give me a pass on this--My rose-colored glasses are only worn when I watch CW in action. I didn't see much in her last 2 games that gave me a tiny bit of heartburn. If her defense is less than stellar you can be sure it will be better. I couldn't ask for more on offense from any Freshman, even Maya (who had the same nice disposition as CW)
No in this lifetime only one person is perfect---ME (but don't ask my spouse).

Reaction Score
Christyn does not seem to rush, she is composed. She is not afraid to go to the basket or take a 3 as the occasion warrants. Noticed this even before the ND game. And she finished, didn't she. Me thinks her assists and defense will improve as the opposition will target her more in the future. Did Geno started CW in all the games this season? My mind is a little blurry about that.

The HUGE thing about Christyn Williams, and you pointed out part of it, is she understands when to move with slow determination or when to turn on the jets, but each time it would appear that whole action is in slo-mo in her mind, she sees the court so well and understands how the game is played (much beyond a frosh) at a higher level.
As @oldude said---it is hard to believe she is a freshman (paraphrasing)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
An out of shape Mabrey that matadored on two of CW's fast break layups. That could barely keep up on the defensive end. That missed her first bunny after losing CW on a early crossover. That consistently beat CW off the dribble even in the 4th quarter after she'd run out of gas. That uncharacteristically missed numerous open 3's. Yeah, that Mabrey. CW is going to be a legendary player for UConn in my estimation, no doubt. But let's just scale back on the HOF nominations just a bit.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Love everything about the kid, but one random thing that makes her even more endearing - the hair poof. She wore it thru high school and I wondered how it would go over at UCONN. We know the coaches like conservative things and will have players cover visible tats, not allow them to wear different colored socks or shoes, etc. But she kept the poof and it's impossible not to recognize her on the court.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
An out of shape Mabrey that matadored on two of CW's fast break layups. That could barely keep up on the defensive end. That missed her first bunny after losimg CW on a early crossover. That consistently beat CW off the dribble even in the 4th quarter after she'd run out of gas. That uncharacteristically missed numeroua open 3's. Yeah, that Mabrey. CW is going to be a legendary player for UConn in my estimation, no doubt. But let's just scale back on the HOF nominations just a bit.
I certainly agree that Christyn will get better both defensively and offensively. That’s the really scary part if you face the Huskies over the next 3 seasons. But let’s not overstate how out of shape Mabrey was. She was moving just fine.

One additional point. While Christyn was guarding Mabrey on defense, Ogunbowle, ND’s NPOY candidate had the defensive assignment to contain Christyn. By my count, Christyn took Arike off the dribble at least 6 times while thoroughly outplaying her. Perhaps that explains some of Ogunbowle’s frustration which bubbled up in the 4th qtr.

Reaction Score
Love everything about the kid, but one random thing that makes her even more endearing - the hair poof. She wore it thru high school and I wondered how it would go over at UCONN. We know the coaches like conservative things and will have players cover visible tats, not allow them to wear different colored socks or shoes, etc. But she kept the poof and it's impossible not to recognize her on the court.
I mean, it's her natural hair... they can't possibly have a problem with someone's natural hair. It's only when they have it dyed, for instance, purple - a completely impossible unnatural color. Others are ok - look at Lou's highlights, and Charde Houston's hair extensions (I remember she used to go from short to long week by week practically).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I mean, it's her natural hair... they can't possibly have a problem with someone's natural hair. It's only when they have it dyed, for instance, purple - a completely impossible unnatural color. Others are ok - look at Lou's highlights, and Charde Houston's hair extensions (I remember she used to go from short to long week by week practically).
I’m jealous of anyone with hair on top of their head...purple, orange or green.

Reaction Score
I had refrained from commenting about CW hairdo but since the subject came up I will add my 2 cents. Christyn hairdo is unique, personal and original based on my general ignorance of the subject. Coupled the impressive hairdo with her exceptional game one cannot ignore the WOW factor from a spectator's viewpoint!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Reaction Score
She constantly took whoever was guarding her off the dribble.....under ten games into her college career against ND. Her defense will get better, but from what I see it ain't bad now. Those ND girls can't guard her....easy to see.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The opposition still does not understand the quickness and speed of CW. Her first gear to overdrive happens in a split second. That's how she was able to blow by Mabrey, Arike and others. I still think the most deadly part of her game is the pull up jumper in the lane. Almost impossible to stop. Again, all this is happening as she lets the game come to her.

Her defense is about average right now, but it will improve over the course of the season. She is still a better defender that ND's guards. Neither of them play defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom