Christyn “likely” tonight vs DePaul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Christyn “likely” tonight vs DePaul

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Williams is a lock-down defender and a great lead on full court breaks. She is a well rounder player and a tough out. Great to have her back for however minutes she can give us.
A sure fire way to tell how valuable a player is to your team is gauge how much they are missed when they don’t play. Recently some posters wanted to sit Christyn, now they can’t wait to get her back. :confused:

Reaction Score
Matchup problem? I don’t get it. They have no one taller than 6’1”. We have 6’5”, 6’5”, 6’3” and more height advantage if we post up CD. If we can’t take advantage of that against a BE team, I don’t know what they are practicing these days.
I think the key to beating Depaul is don't play too fast. Even if they don't shoot a high percentage...they figure to make up for it in more shot attempts. The flipside is UCONN playing too much halfcourt offense. A game like this is where you really need a good point guard with a feel for tempo.

Reaction Score
I'm worried about the 4th quarter if we have to constantly run up and down the floor. And we kind of have to in order to put up enough points to win this game. We want to slow it down but if we have the break we need to take it. And it's tough to play man to man if you want to conserve player energy but if we go zone can we stop the 3 and can we box out Morrow? BTW, I watched the Ayoka Lee game the other day where she got 61 points and missed like 5 shots all game. They constantly got her the ball inside in a position to score. She had maybe 20 layups in that game. A lot of their success was a focused effort to feed her the ball in the right position and that involved ball movement until they had the right passing angle. It would seem we should be able to do a lot better in that regard. She scored as many points as Oklahoma by herself, and Oklahoma was a top 25 team. It was a clinic in how to get the ball inside in the best way possible. We need to get the ball in the paint again tonight. We need a big game from ONO and maybe Morrow gets in foul trouble.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Final word on tonite:
I don't think we match up very well.
I don’t consider this game “a test.” We don’t need another test. We just has one against Oregon. This game will measure our ability to compete with the highest scoring team in the conference. Can we keep their double double machine under control, or does she simply have her way with us as she has done with so many others?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For me, “mild” symptoms included 102 degree fever, body aches, a nagging cough, and fatigue. My doctor assures me it’s mild. Three weeks later, I still have a cough and fatigue.

My 27 and 24 year old sons have continued coughs and some fatigue but seem perkier than I am. If Christyn did have Covid, she may not be her usual self. Hopefully her case is closer to my sons’ than mine.
Nan, best wishes to you and your sons!!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insights... I was already "maxed out" on
my JI articles. A. Morrow with no DD..... UCONN wins!

For those who need a translation, if you had read a pregame report on DePaul you would know that A.Morrow has a 12 game double double streak on the line.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those who need a translation, if you had read a pregame report on DePaul you would know that A.Morrow has a 12 game double double streak on the line.

Now, it makes sense.

Sherlock Holmes Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm worried about the 4th quarter if we have to constantly run up and down the floor. And we kind of have to in order to put up enough points to win this game. We want to slow it down but if we have the break we need to take it. And it's tough to play man to man if you want to conserve player energy but if we go zone can we stop the 3 and can we box out Morrow? BTW, I watched the Ayoka Lee game the other day where she got 61 points and missed like 5 shots all game. They constantly got her the ball inside in a position to score. She had maybe 20 layups in that game. A lot of their success was a focused effort to feed her the ball in the right position and that involved ball movement until they had the right passing angle. It would seem we should be able to do a lot better in that regard. She scored as many points as Oklahoma by herself, and Oklahoma was a top 25 team. It was a clinic in how to get the ball inside in the best way possible. We need to get the ball in the paint again tonight. We need a big game from ONO and maybe Morrow gets in foul trouble.
From your keypad to Geno’s ears. I couldn’t agree more. I wrote in another thread this this game could serve as a primer to illustrate how to give good and accurately placed entry passes. I’d like to think that our pl are at least as talented as theirs. If Kansas State’s guards can do it, why can’t ours? :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Christyn is the team’s best perimeter defender, by a wide margin
It won’t hurt to have an extra player on the bench that will give Geno a little more flexibility. This is not your fathers typical DePaul team. This game may prove to be as challenging as any game this season.

Reaction Score
This is a BE team that we should beat by 20 points with or without CW. Our defense will limit their production. Our bigs have a commanding height advantage. This should not be a close game by the end of the 3rd quarter. If UCONN shows up, it’s another BE win.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I knew what Zarathustra meant by "DD" but I don't believe everyone did...

For me, it was tied to a bigger issue of a small set of posters using (only) initials for our players so much, it's a pain to have to mentally translate it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Best defender does not necessarily equate to “ lockdown”.
What’s your definition of lockdown defender? Perhaps there’s a miscommunication

Reaction Score
What’s your definition of lockdown defender? Perhaps there’s a miscommunication
Suffocating defender.
Makes the player they’re guarding kill themselves just trying to get the ball.
Once they do, lockdowner is up in their grill, taking away the side they want to go- forcing them to their weak side.
Forces them to take shots they normally wouldn’t take.
Those shots don’t fall.
Gets in their head.
Destroys their rhythm.
Prevents them from playing their game.
That what a lockdown defender does.
Makes it a bad, bad night.
( throw in a couple of strip steals)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Suffocating defender.
Makes the player they’re guarding kill themselves just trying to get the ball.
Once they do, lockdowner is up in their grill, taking away the side they want to go- forcing them to their weak side.
Forces them to take shots they normally wouldn’t take.
Those shots don’t fall.
Gets in their head.
Destroys their rhythm.
Prevents them from playing their game.
That what a lockdown defender does.
Makes it a bad, bad night.
( throw in a couple of strip steals)
Who has such a player? Just curious

Reaction Score
Likely no one, Nan, at least that I'm aware of. It could have been argued DiDi Richards approached that at Baylor in the last season or two.

Yet I believe that's the point Stymie is making. From time to time, I read on the BY (and occasionally in media) about either Nika or Christyn being a lockdown defender. To my mind, neither is consistently close to that. Christyn did a great job in the first half against Caitlin Clark last March, so she has it in her. Nika makes those memorable steals, but she often plays rather shaky D.

I'll close by stating Christyn might be the best defender of available Huskies but, as she dislayed early this season, Paige had become the best on the team. If she didn't have so much else to deal with, she would likely be the Huskies' best candidate to be a truly lockdown defender.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not sure that there are any lockdown defenders at this level in WCBB this year, but in the past Moriah Jefferson and Kelly Faris have approached that level. Do you remember Moriah's performance against the younger Mabrey in the second half after she had scored more than 20 points against UConn in the first half? She also shut down a highly-regarded Syracuse guard in the NC game in 2016.

Kelly held Alyssa Thomas of Maryland to 8 points in a game when (as I recall) they were both seniors.

Christyn is the best perimeter defender on the current team (even when everyone is healthy), but she is not at the same level as Moriah or Kelly at their best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom