Chris Smith talks about the Dream Season - link | The Boneyard

Chris Smith talks about the Dream Season - link

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Courant is doing a series on the Dream Season. This is the first one and it is a good read.

Chris Smith

"Most guys go their own way after they leave college," Smith said. "We've got four or five guys from that team working here in the same place. They come from other places, and then when they come to Connecticut and the people embrace them so much, they end up staying."

Reaction Score
correction cl: last week said newsletter did piece on John Gwynn and dream season; did not even mention huge bank shot by john vs derickcoleman and that other 6eight stud they had, oh, billy owens in crunch time which was game breaker of cuse derriere. Then in caption below john likeness it stated john was integral part of NIT title dog dooers. They really did there r and d on that 1: little did they no lil johnny was high school sr in wash dc suburbs, was it hyattesville md me thinks at dematha, one of my old stomping grounds during nit nitwits

Reaction Score
correction cl: last week said newsletter did piece on John Gwynn and dream season; did not even mention huge bank shot by john vs derickcoleman and that other 6eight stud they had, oh, billy owens in crunch time which was game breaker of cuse derriere. Then in caption below john likeness it stated john was integral part of NIT title dog dooers. They really did there r and d on that 1: little did they no lil johnny was high school sr in wash dc suburbs, was it hyattesville md me thinks at dematha, one of my old stomping grounds during nit nitwits
John Gwynn is a probation officer in Middletown and like many of us, he isn't so little anymore. Supposed to be a real nice guy.

Reaction Score
What memories from that team. While it was important to win the NIT with Cliff and Phil, this team was the reason we fans are as spoiled as we are to this day. And when you actually think about it real hard, the fact Chris Smith said "I'm a CT kid I should stay in CT" is probably the most important decision in UConn history (along with JC). Without that commitment there more than likely is no "Dream Season" and there is no Big East titles and who knows how this thing would have gone. I am sure JC would have continued to improve and we would have been competitive but the success we've seen? Hard to imagine without that year!

Reaction Score
Danzz said:
John Gwynn is a probation officer in Middletown and like many of us, he isn't so little anymore. Supposed to be a real nice guy.

He's also a Division I referee - does some mid-major games in the Northeast. He worked Columbia-Hofstra a couple days before we played Columbia, was joking that we could get a nice up close scouting report if we wanted it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Missed it. I'll look for it. Thanks Chappy.

Reaction Score
The Courant is doing a series on the Dream Season. This is the first one and it is a good read.

Chris Smith

"Most guys go their own way after they leave college," Smith said. "We've got four or five guys from that team working here in the same place. They come from other places, and then when they come to Connecticut and the people embrace them so much, they end up staying."

Not the first, but the third. Gwynn and Henefeld preceded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom