Chris Mullin and Cheick Diallo | The Boneyard

Chris Mullin and Cheick Diallo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chris Mullin off to a hot start. He just hired big time recruiter Matt Abdelmassih of Iowa State who is an alum of St. John's. Abdelmassih has major inroads with Diallo. Everyone and their mother is now picking Diallo to go to St. John's.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/st-johns/chris-mullin-hires-top-recruiter-matt-abdelmassih-1.10169035

Ollie was looking at Abdelmassih. I don't care to go back into the archives, but he was in trouble with the NCAA a couple years ago.,

Reaction Score
Ollie was looking at Abdelmassih. I don't care to go back into the archives, but he was in trouble with the NCAA a couple years ago.,

Not quite, no. There was an issue of excessive phone calls to recruits by the Iowa State staff, including Hoiberg. Of the phone calls at issue, Abdelmassih was found to have made one of them. And you've got to do a lot of digging to find any reference to it at all. So not exactly an arch-criminal. And certainly nothing that hasn't existed in Storrs.

Anyway, a good hire for St. Johns. If Uconn isn't going to turn the program over to Chief, they need a guy like Abdelmassih on the staff.

Reaction Score
The Abdelmassih hire is exactly the type of ace recruiter with connections that UCONN needs on the staff. I love the UConn connections of a lot of guys on staff but we desperately need an ACE recruiter particularly with our conference situation and the fact we have had our asses handed to us on the recruiting trail the past couple of years.

Ollie shouldn't only have looked but should have hired.

Reaction Score
The Abdelmassih hire is exactly the type of ace recruiter with connections that UCONN needs on the staff. I love the UConn connections of a lot of guys on staff but we desperately need an ACE recruiter particularly with our conference situation and the fact we have had our asses handed to us on the recruiting trail the past couple of years.

Ollie shouldn't only have looked but should have hired.
You guys are probably right but considering the ban, loss of scholarships, and recruiting restrictions I think our staff deserves some leeway. If our team doesn't produce better results next season and we don't have a stellar recruiting class coming for 2016 then changes have to be made. On the other hand if Coach wants to bring in an top recruiter immediately I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
And Rohrsen? Ouch, that's a strong recruiting team. Hope he can coach!

Reaction Score
And Rohrsen? Ouch, that's a strong recruiting team. Hope he can coach!

The Abelmassih pickup is great one for multiple reasons. Abelmassih is also SJU grad and former SJU team manager. He bleeds SJU red. Rohrssen is one of Mullin's best friends and also very much in play. New staff will have quite a few SJU grads who have interest in winning that goes well beyond it just being a job.

Reaction Score
These hires are big time for the Johnies . Look out NBE the storm is coming.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
These hires are big time for the Johnies . Look out NBE the storm is coming.
I don't think Mullin will bring anything as a coach. Not bringing back the glory days of the '80's. These kids don't care about Mullin's history.

Reaction Score
Let's be realistic. Johnnies will be a force to be dealt with right away on the recruiting trail. Whether or not Mullin can coach will be determined soon enough but THEY WILL DEFINITELY get players and they will mostly be NY/NJ guys. This will hurt us to some extent.

BTW, you instantly become a better coach when you have talented players.

To all the naysayers, mark it down, I said right now, Mullin will produce a winner there and it won't be long.

Reaction Score
Let's be realistic. Johnnies will be a force to be dealt with right away on the recruiting trail. Whether or not Mullin can coach will be determined soon enough but THEY WILL DEFINITELY get players and they will mostly be NY/NJ guys. This will hurt us to some extent.

BTW, you instantly become a better coach when you have talented players.

To all the naysayers, mark it down, I said right now, Mullin will produce a winner there and it won't be long.
He just might do better than Lavin in the winning department but recruiting hasn't been a problem at SJU. Lavin often had high ranking classes.

caw

Reaction Score

Assistant for 2, but I'm sure you knew that. Like most coaches with zero or little experience Mullin will be a wait and see. Some can hack it, some can't. Even a step up from a mid major to a high major can ruin some. Ollie has shown he can, but just like there was numerous doubters when he started, Mullin will have numerous doubters until he shows how good he is. The recruiting team is strong but that's only part of the equation but a good start.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
KO called the UCONN job his 'dream job'. Mullin called taking the SJU job an 'obligation'. When I was a kid I dreamed of playing for UCONN while fulfilling my 'obligation' to my parents by taking out the garbage and raking the leaves....

Reaction Score
You guys are probably right but considering the ban, loss of scholarships, and recruiting restrictions I think our staff deserves some leeway. If our team doesn't produce better results next season and we don't have a stellar recruiting class coming for 2016 then changes have to be made. On the other hand if Coach wants to bring in an top recruiter immediately I'm all for it.

You make changes before it becomes a major problem, not after.

We can see the writing on the wall concerning recruiting, but haven't made any substantial changes. This is an area where we can't afford to be reactive -- by then it's too late.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You make changes before it becomes a major problem, not after.

We can see the writing on the wall concerning recruiting, but haven't made any substantial changes. This is an area where we can't afford to be reactive -- by then it's too late.
Yep and unfortunately we don't see the writing on the wall.

C

Chief00

Not quite, no. There was an issue of excessive phone calls to recruits by the Iowa State staff, including Hoiberg. Of the phone calls at issue, Abdelmassih was found to have made one of them. And you've got to do a lot of digging to find any reference to it at all. So not exactly an arch-criminal. And certainly nothing that hasn't existed in Storrs.

Anyway, a good hire for St. Johns. If Uconn isn't going to turn the program over to Chief, they need a guy like Abdelmassih on the staff.

Hear the offers in the mail; quite frankly

C

Chief00

I don't think Mullin will bring anything as a coach. Not bringing back the glory days of the '80's. These kids don't care about Mullin's history.

Mullins knows the game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Coaching is the last thing I'd worry about with Mullins.

Recruiting is the first thing and he seems to be addressing that and then some.

With the right staff and work ethic, he'll be fine.

Reaction Score
The top flight kids these days worry only about a potential career in the NBA. Mullins is going to get a sh¡t ton of mileage out of his decades of playing and running teams. Recruiting will be easy when he can give a kid a first hand breakdown of what they are going to need to do to get there.

Reaction Score
The Hall of fame Ring and the years of running an NBA Team are really going hurt him when recruiting players who want a shot at the League....

Reaction Score

There was just an article with a NYC kid (Rawle Atkins) talking about how great it will be to have Mullin around. Mullin is a hall of famer and was on the dream team. This isn't just another NBA player. Plus, he's a Brooklyn guy who had a huge playground rep. He's going to get players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom