Chris Is Realistic About Camara's Return | The Boneyard

Chris Is Realistic About Camara's Return

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“You are talking about somebody who sat out a year and then with the injury, she is not back to any part where she is going to be able to play for long periods of time,” said UConn associate head coach Chris Dailey, who along with assistant coach Marisa Moseley works with the post players. “Hopefully slowly she is gaining it and she will gain some confidence. I think she could provide a lot for us in terms of rebounding.”

Sophomore guard Crystal Dangerfield continues to open eyes for No. 1 UConn

Reaction Score
“You are talking about somebody who sat out a year and then with the injury, she is not back to any part where she is going to be able to play for long periods of time,” said UConn associate head coach Chris Dailey, who along with assistant coach Marisa Moseley works with the post players. “Hopefully slowly she is gaining it and she will gain some confidence. I think she could provide a lot for us in terms of rebounding.”

UConn coach Geno Auriemma, who won his 999th career game, didn’t hold back when addressing Dangerfield’s role on the nation’s top-ranked team:

“There may not be anyone more critical to what we are trying to do than Crystal,” Auriemma said. “She makes shots. Right now we have Crystal, Kia (Nurse) and Lou (Samuelson) make shots, and that is tough for most teams to deal with. She sees so much, she has a great feel for the game and her instincts are good, so when the floor opens up like that, and she can have a lot of open spaces to work with,
she is pretty dangerous.” (Yuk yuk :D )

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
UConn coach Geno Auriemma, who won his 999th career game, didn’t hold back when addressing Dangerfield’s role on the nation’s top-ranked team:

“There may not be anyone more critical to what we are trying to do than Crystal,” Auriemma said. “She makes shots. Right now we have Crystal, Kia (Nurse) and Lou (Samuelson) make shots, and that is tough for most teams to deal with. She sees so much, she has a great feel for the game and her instincts are good, so when the floor opens up like that, and she can have a lot of open spaces to work with,
Interesting, given that Stevens, Collier and Williams all have higher shooting percentage than KLS or Dangerfield. I guess it's all about perception...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, I thought of that, right after I posted. You are correct to point out the error of my thinking. (or lack thereof ;) )
Coach was vague in his statement.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You couldn't put this in the Crystal thread, could yuh. ;) Thread thievery I tell you. Head bang

Reaction Score

I'll happily take whatever she can do for the team. She's been through so much. It was great to see her against DePaul even for just two minutes.

Reaction Score

Pretty much the same as Geno said a week or so ago without the in depth definition. But truly it was more than great to see Touly in the Depaul game.I hope we get more of that.

Reaction Score

These may not be the most efficient shooters on the team--but if you need a shot to get back in the game, or to put the nail in the coffin--call on these three they will deliver. It is sooooo great to have Danger getting positive comments from the boss---every comment of this kind seems to raise her game another inch or two.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Not that we've heard any of this lately, BUT it should completely put to rest ANY thought that "Z is too good NOT to start and Crystal should come off the bench".

I realize Geno doesn't like to rave about kids before they are seniors ;) but I think you really have to put Crystal in the conversation with the very best PG's in the nation. She completely outplayed Jordin Canada, a senior, who many thought earlier in the year was possibly the best PG in the nation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As for Batouly, if she can get to the point where she’s good for 10-15 minutes per game as a backup for Pheesa and Z, particularly when the Huskies face SC and TX later this season, when they could clearly use an extra post player to body up A’ja Wilson and Joyner Holmes, that would be invaluable.

The book on Batouly is that she is a physical defender and strong rebounder. If she can just do that for the Huskies off the bench it would be great. Any scoring she provides is gravy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As for Batouly, if she can get to the point where she’s good for 10-15 minutes per game as a backup for Pheesa and Z, particularly when the Huskies face SC and TX later this season, when they could clearly use an extra post player to body up A’ja Wilson and Joyner Holmes, that would be invaluable.

The book on Batouly is that she is a physical defender and strong rebounder. If she can just do that for the Huskies off the bench it would be great. Any scoring she provides is gravy.
Bingo. And maybe some offensive putbacks. One thing to keep in mind - even tho both were "practicing" last year, neither spent any time on the practice floor in scrimmages, or anything else Geno would run for kids who were actually going to play. This means both had/have learning curves this year.

I think Z's learning curve is larger because Geno is asking her to play a LOT differently than she did at Duke. I'm not sure he's asking Batouly the same think. Hopefully Batouly gets up to speed quickly.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
As I was watching UCONN play DePaul, the thought came to me that this team is not good enough to win the NC this season. Maybe it was the number of turnovers they have been making, inconsistent play, or something. Something just did not seem right. But then, Camara came into the game. I watched how she moved and carried herself on the court and I thought that this is the piece that has been missing. If she can learn the system by February, and the rest of the team continues to improve and jell, UCONN will be exceptional and very hard to beat. Her rebounding and defense could help take the team all the way to this season's NC, imo.

Reaction Score
I think Z's learning curve is larger because Geno is asking her to play a LOT differently than she did at Duke. I'm not sure he's asking Batouly the same thing. Hopefully Batouly gets up to speed quickly.
Yeah Geno prolly just said, “ ‘Touly, don’t worry about all this new stuff - just do whatever you were doing at Kentucky.” :p:p

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yeah Geno prolly just said, “ ‘Touly, don’t worry about all this new stuff - just do whatever you were doing at Kentucky.” :p:p
Well you know what I mean! Z was a perimeter player at Duke who fancied herself a wing. Geno is showing her that she's a post player, so it's completely new for her. Batouly, on the other hand, was a banger down low, like Crockett for UCONN years back. I don't think Batouly needs to learn a completely new way of playing. IMHO she just needs to get in shape, and play in the post like she always did. Of course our offense is different, etc, but it's not like we are asking her to become a PG... ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As I was watching UCONN play DePaul, the thought came to me that this team is not good enough to win the NC this season. Maybe it was the number of turnovers they have been making, inconsistent play, or something. Something just did not seem right. But then, Camara came into the game. I watched how she moved and carried herself on the court and I thought that this is the piece that has been missing. If she can learn the system by February, and the rest of the team continues to improve and jell, UCONN will be exceptional and very hard to beat. Her rebounding and defense could help take the team all the way to this season's NC, imo.
I'm gonna have to call a foul on that post. You think this team is not good enough to win the NC, but that Camara is the missing piece that can take us to the promised land?? UCONN was a hair width away from making the NC game last year with no one in the post over 6'1".

Fast forward... Sophomore leap for Danger, improvements from Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, and Lou, and an elite post presence in Z, not to mention the #1 freshman in the nation. I will admit I thought UCONN would cake walk thru this season, and the ND game showed that is NOT going to be the case. Still, we are easily the favorite to win the NC and we already beat the 2nd best team in the nation with Lou AND Gabby on the bench.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm gonna have to call a foul on that post. You think this team is not good enough to win the NC, but that Camara is the missing piece that can take us to the promised land?? UCONN was a hair width away from making the NC game last year with no one in the post over 6'1".

Fast forward... Sophomore leap for Danger, improvements from Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, and Lou, and an elite post presence in Z, not to mention the #1 freshman in the nation. I will admit I thought UCONN would cake walk thru this season, and the ND game showed that is NOT going to be the case. Still, we are easily the favorite to win the NC and we already beat the 2nd best team in the nation with Lou AND Gabby on the bench.
That's what I stated. I believe UCONN will have trouble rebounding against some taller teams but not if Camara can play. I believe the ND game would have been a lot easier to win if UCONN had had another strong rebounder. I had a feeling while watching the game and it was not good. I'm not saying the feeling was right. I believe UCONN needs another strong rebounder even if it is Irwin.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I was watching UCONN play DePaul, the thought came to me that this team is not good enough to win the NC this season.
a7e.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hopefully Batouly gets up to speed quickly.

“Hopefully slowly she is gaining it and she will gain some confidence." Eric, CD is telling you that is not happening. 'Course, there is always hope. The bounce back from injury for some is strong and others take time to regain confidence. We sure could use her, no doubt.

Reaction Score
My hope would be she is full speed & a factor by tournament time. I'm guessing that her progress will be incremental rather than increase expotentially, hopefully only steps forward. For me, anything before that is bonus. Can't wait to see her get court time earlier than end of game time & time on the court with the rotation players - then we'll see more of what she brings. I was excited to see her finally get on the court v DePaul (we saw it even if the announcers didn't......)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I liked the way Batouly moved on the court in the few minutes she played vs DePaul. There was no hesitation. She pulled down 3 rebounds in 4 minutes, but unfortunately missed an easy put back. She was also wide open underneath a couple times after making hard cuts to the basket, but her teammates never saw her.

I too want to see her get some minutes with the starters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom