Chris Hansen: UNC's bombshell a "Fab Five" redux... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chris Hansen: UNC's bombshell a "Fab Five" redux...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well the original Fab 5 never won anything :rolleyes:

They won a ton of fans, had great television ratings, went to consecutive Final Fours in the two years they were a unit, and totally transformed the look of the game. Of course, they never beat Duke:(.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They won a ton of fans, had great television ratings, went to consecutive Final Fours in the two years they were a unit, and totally transformed the look of the game. Of course, they never beat Duke:(.
They also totally transformed the look of the uniforms.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
They also totally transformed the look of the uniforms.
And this (from WikiP)...

Today their legacy has been significantly tarnished in the wake of the University of Michigan basketball scandal, that involved a host of NCAA rule violations that occurred both during and after their time at the university. In the wake of the scandal the University of Michigan voluntarily vacated several wins and many of the Fab Five's achievements. Notably, Chris Webber was indicted on five charges, including obstruction of justice and lying to a federal grand jury, for having misrepresented his relationships with a booster heavily involved in the scandal.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the above respects, I expect few if any parallelisms.
I do think though that at least at North Carolina, there may be a not unsubtle shift in the relationship between the coaching staff and the coachees.
Perhaps we have been seeing this in other teams the last few years and didn't quite get it up on the radar screen.
I speculate (I hope not harmfully) that Sylvia did not initiate this mini-revolution and is at present wracking her brains to figure out how to solve her little problem (s).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is Hatchell strong enough to deal with this crew?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think they chose to go to a program where they could play a lot, and quickly. Not to say that Hatchell isn't a good coach (I'm not super impressed with her teams lately, but she can clearly recruit) but to pick a program that didn't even make the tournament last year says something.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Hatchell strong enough to deal with this crew?
The question is both legit and a little dicey. This does sound as if the players are in control. That sets a bad precedent. Maybe the kids thought they would have more freedom--less structure--at UNC.

This sounds like LeBron's "decision," which I did not care for.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think they chose to go to a program where they could play a lot, and quickly. Not to say that Hatchell isn't a good coach (I'm not super impressed with her teams lately, but she can clearly recruit) but to pick a program that didn't even make the tournament last year says something.
Yep, I think instant PT was a factor. What happens to Xylina in her second year--backing up Mavunga?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yep, I think instant PT was a factor. What happens to Xylina in her second year--backing up Mavunga?
Not necessarily. Depends on how far along X-girl is after a year.

From the girl's perspective, sounds like UNC a) was a place that would take them all, b) that they all had on their respective lists, and c) where they thought they could come in and have an immediate impact, and vie for championships. UNC will be hard pressed to compete at a championship level in 2013-14, but will probably be in the hunt in 2014-15 (though UConn will have a very, very good and seasoned starting five that season).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Depends on how far along X-girl is after a year.

From the girl's perspective, sounds like UNC a) was a place that would take them all, b) that they all had on their respective lists, and c) where they thought they could come in and have an immediate impact, and vie for championships. UNC will be hard pressed to compete at a championship level in 2013-14, but will probably be in the hunt in 2014-15 (though UConn will have a very, very good and seasoned starting five that season).
UConn starting 5 in 2014-15:

Jr - Jefferson
Sr - Lewis
Jr - Stewart
Jr - Tuck
Sr - Stokes

I don't care who UNC has, this team will be incredible.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
UConn starting 5 in 2014-15:

Jr - Jefferson
Sr - Lewis
Jr - Stewart
Jr - Tuck
Sr - Stokes

I don't care who UNC has, this team will be incredible.

Absolutely. Both this team and the previous year's team (with Stef and Bria as seniors) may well become the stuff of legend in the not-too-distant future. Time will tell, of course, but the assembled talent is off the charts.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wow. It's been quite a weekend. I'm just catching up on the big recruiting news. I can't say I'm too disappointed in DD's decision. Having watched a couple of her games on line, her play never made me think "she's a UConn player." She's obviously very talented though, and Sylvia's style of play will allow her to display her abundance of athleticism and skill.

There's something about the top players in this 2013 class that's certainly different. I tend to like the Breanna Stewart types who are low on the drama and sign their LOI on the hood of a car.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I agree Cat, the hype started when ESPN found out about their hi profile fathers, I think it is unfortunate, it seems that everyone involved is not thinking clearly right now and social media is driving this whole thing.

Reaction Score
I'm unclear how a coach can take away a student's scholarship if she hasn't broken team rules or met academic criteria.
A little discussion in the coach's office predicting that you might need a cushion to prevent splinters on the bench next season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What is interesting is that knowing the numbers don't work is that ESPN doesn't seem to be all over the story with UNC and at least getting a no comment from them. UNC doesn't have to address the specific recruits to be able to speak to the barn with too many thoroughbreds and how it will address reducing the numbers.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Wow. It's been quite a weekend. I'm just catching up on the big recruiting news. I can't say I'm too disappointed in DD's decision. Having watched a couple of her games on line, her play never made me think "she's a UConn player." She's obviously very talented though, and Sylvia's style of play will allow her to display her abundance of athleticism and skill.

There's something about the top players in this 2013 class that's certainly different. I tend to like the Breanna Stewart types who are low on the drama and sign their LOI on the hood of a car.

Uconn recruits sign with the team...the team dos not sign with the recruits.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A little discussion in the coach's office predicting that you might need a cushion to prevent splinters on the bench next season.

I have never seen the verbiage in an LOI. Is there verbiage that the scholarship is reviewed on a year-by-year basis and that the university has the right to terminate the scholarship at will?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Another question. Are the terms and conditions of an LOI set by the NCAA or is each university allowed to set its own terms and conditions?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have never seen the verbiage in an LOI. Is there verbiage that the scholarship is reviewed on a year-by-year basis and that the university has the right to terminate the scholarship at will?
LOI's are set by the Collegiate Comissioners Assoc by authority of the NCAA.

About the National Letter of Intent (NLI)

The NCAA Eligibility Center manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program. Started in 1964 with seven conferences and eight independent institutions, the program now includes 620 Division I and Division II participating institutions.
The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the National Letter of Intent, and no institution is required to join the program.
By signing a National Letter of Intent, a prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the designated college or university for one academic year. Pursuant to the terms of the National Letter of Intent program, participating institutions agree to provide athletics financial aid to the student-athlete, provided he/she is admitted to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules. An important provision of the National Letter of Intent program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs a Letter of Intent. This prohibition requires participating institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once a National Letter of Intent is signed with another institution.
The National Letter of Intent has many advantages to both prospective student-athletes and participating educational institutions:
  • Once a National Letter of Intent is signed, prospective student-athletes are no longer subject to further recruiting contacts and calls.
  • Student-athletes are assured of an athletics scholarship for a minimum of one full academic year.
  • By emphasizing a commitment to an educational institution, not particular coaches or teams, the program focuses on a prospective student-athlete's educational objectives.

JS

Reaction Score
Another question. Are the terms and conditions of an LOI set by the NCAA or is each university allowed to set its own terms and conditions?
The terms are set by the Collegiate Commissioners Association. Signing is voluntary on the part of the player and school. If a NLOI is signed, the player essentially promises to stay enrolled for a full academic year, and the school promises to extend financial aid for that year only.

Here are the provisions of the NLOI.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So the student-athlete is aware that it is a one year agreement and that there is no guarantee that it will extend past one year? Is there any additional document that players sign as a contract with the university other than LOI where the verbiage states that the university can terminate the agreement?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So the student-athlete is aware that it is a one year agreement and that there is no guarantee that it will extend past one year? Is there any additional document that players sign as a contract with the university other than LOI where the verbiage states that the university can terminate the agreement?
Yes, one year. I'm not aware of any contracts between players and universities. Ah, except maybe BYU, which requires players to sign a "no booze, no caffeine (! :eek: !) no sex" agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom