Chris Dailey talks about "your reputation" | The Boneyard

Chris Dailey talks about "your reputation"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sounds like a good article but could not access.
Yeah, something's up with direct links from the BY. If you google the title, or just go directly to Courant, you can get it. It is a good read.

Reaction Score
That makes me a little nervous about some of the recruits we might all want....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That makes me a little nervous about some of the recruits we might all want....
Nah, kids don't see consequences well at that age and are desensitized to posting their thoughts for the world to see. That's why CD looks for patterns rather than a single mistake.

FWIW, in the pre-social media era, I had an otherwise unobjectionable 25 year old candidate make a bigoted joke to me in an interview at a pretty stodgy employer. He was just completely clueless as to how inappropriate that was.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"If you tell a kid 'hey, look, you put that stuff out there people think poorly of you.' They don't do it wanting people to think poorly of them; they do it to be cool or whatever, but sometimes it's just mindless. What we ask our players to do is 'don't be mindless with what you choose to put out there because it is a reflection of you.'"

I did not realize some of the "instant media" play toys are allowed in season. " The UConn women are allowed to use Instagram and Snapchat during the season but not Twitter. Dailey, entering her 32nd year in Storrs, reports that they have been responsible. She knows. She checks."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sounds like a good article but could not access.
you have no idea about how many times I deleted this thread due to "subscribers" "the Courant" etc.
I know there's a way to see it if you "google the title" or something like that.
after 10 minutes I said "frick it" the posters will find a way. (I'm a Courant subscriber so I don't know all the tricks about viewing)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great article. CD has always been something of a surrogate mom to Husky players. It appears that she also serves as the social media police. Snapchat & Instagram are OK, but no Twitter during the season. CD encourages players to use their phones to call people and actually talk to them, something of a lost art for younger folks.

As an old fart who doesn't tweet or use Facebook, I can appreciate CD's effort & intent.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Great article. CD has always been something of a surrogate mom to Husky players. It appears that she also serves as the social media police. Snapchat & Instagram are OK, but no Twitter during the season. CD encourages players to use their phones to call people and actually talk to them, something of a lost art for younger folks.

As an old fart who doesn't tweet or use Facebook, I can appreciate CD's effort & intent.
I still don't understand how SnapChat and Instagram are ok... but not Twitter!

Facebook is cool, Old Fart you are missing out on some good stuff. on FB you're in control of everything that happens on your page. I love it.
and you can still write letters and develop pictures like in the 70's.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Facebook is cool, Old Fart you are missing out on some good stuff. on FB you're in control of everything that happens on your page. I love it.
While I appreciate your sentiment you surely must know that "You can't teach old farts new tricks!" ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
While I appreciate your sentiment you surely must know that "You can't teach old farts new tricks!" ;)
Sorry. As tech savvy and current I am on music, media and trends I have zero interest in twitter, Facebook or the like. However, I will email your butt so be warned. I just have a personal objection to the constant iteration and re-iteration of the same stuff with the same people over and over. How this tends to elevate the mundane to epic levels, how it makes the commonplace heroic, and how it makes rooting through everyone garbage a cottage industry. Clearly however, it's just a few of us left who have a problem with it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
"If you tell a kid 'hey, look, you put that stuff out there people think poorly of you.' They don't do it wanting people to think poorly of them; they do it to be cool or whatever, but sometimes it's just mindless. What we ask our players to do is 'don't be mindless with what you choose to put out there because it is a reflection of you.'"

I did not realize some of the "instant media" play toys are allowed in season. " The UConn women are allowed to use Instagram and Snapchat during the season but not Twitter. Dailey, entering her 32nd year in Storrs, reports that they have been responsible. She knows. She checks."
at times Geno does it for them... and most fans and reporters run with it and it sticks #confidence #betweentheears #outsidersadvice #notonerebound

Reaction Score
Chris Daily is a first rate coach - which we all know already - but this article delves into the non traditional areas that today's coaches must be keenly aware of. It is, however, quite concerning that many of today's young adults (and almost young adults) do not possess the basic skills of verbal communication and etiquette with others, be it one on one, or small group; formal or informal setting. Thank God the Huskies have Chris to teach them that, along with the proper uses of social media. I believe this "education" is a big piece in making the outstanding women her charges have become.

Reaction Score
The issue with links on this site is that this site changes "uconn" to "UConn". Click on the link. When you get "Page Not Found", change "UC" to "uc" in the url.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought this set of quotes from Dailey was particularly insightful and illuminating...

"Part of the reason we've taken away Twitter is because, and I tell this to the players, 'We are saving you from yourselves because as you see there are adults, much older, much more experienced and grown up than you are who are unable to handle it, and in an emotional moment will put something out there and you can't get that back.' We talk about it in that way.

"It's a positive in that it's one less distraction you don't have to worry about, whether someone is liking your tweet or not liking your tweet, and then with Instagram and Snapchat we just talk to them about being appropriate. I mean, there are kids that don't get into college because of what they have on their social media pages and there are people post-grad who don't get jobs for the same reason.
"

Reaction Score

That's a Some Old Fart--you can't teach new tricks--if you want to stagnate mentally and physically tht will work for you--If you want to get most out of your mind and body--you trudge forward.

This stuff of tweet or facebook or email things you mean in the moment--isn't just a kid thing and didn't begin recently---going back approx 30 years --I saw and produced nasty quips that I wish were not sent or that I didn't send--but my name was associated with a top ranked team or Government official or Div 1 coach football or basketball----in today's world what is on the internet is there forever and no retrieving it--oops no longer works.I would expect no less than whats in this article for Christine Dailey!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's a Some Old Fart--you can't teach new tricks--if you want to stagnate mentally and physically tht will work for you--If you want to get most out of your mind and body--you trudge forward.

This stuff of tweet or facebook or email things you mean in the moment--isn't just a kid thing and didn't begin recently---going back approx 30 years --I saw and produced nasty quips that I wish were not sent or that I didn't send--but my name was associated with a top ranked team or Government official or Div 1 coach football or basketball----in today's world what is on the internet is there forever and no retrieving it--oops no longer works.I would expect no less than whats in this article for Christine Dailey!!
When it comes to athletes stepping in "stupid" by posting some ignorant thought on social media, I have always been fond of the simple but eloquent advice of former NFL player & coach, and current ESPN analyst Herm Edwards, "DON'T PRESS SEND!"

Reaction Score
I think so much of this mindless dribble on social media is because of the end of the family structure! Families used to eat dinner together or spend time talking to each other.
Now all the family is "doing their own things" and really don't spend family time, they're going here or there with friends, working, sports, etc.
I've been retired since June of 2000 and I taught elementary Physical Education for 30 years and the last 4-5 what a huge difference in the kids attention span!
Many years ago when I was teaching but near the end, I was over a friend's house for dinner, got there early and was watching TV with the couples 12 year old and when the Mom called everyone into dinner, the 12 year old stayed at the TV and Mom called again, on the 3rd call she brought their dinner out to them! What a lesson learned, I don't have to listen to my parents they'll do what I want eventually! I was shocked!
Personally I don't text, tweet, face-book, etc, I'll email or often call who ever I want to contact !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think so much of this mindless dribble on social media is because of the end of the family structure! Families used to eat dinner together or spend time talking to each other.
Now all the family is "doing their own things" and really don't spend family time, they're going here or there with friends, working, sports, etc.
I've been retired since June of 2000 and I taught elementary Physical Education for 30 years and the last 4-5 what a huge difference in the kids attention span!
Many years ago when I was teaching but near the end, I was over a friend's house for dinner, got there early and was watching TV with the couples 12 year old and when the Mom called everyone into dinner, the 12 year old stayed at the TV and Mom called again, on the 3rd call she brought their dinner out to them! What a lesson learned, I don't have to listen to my parents they'll do what I want eventually! I was shocked!
Personally I don't text, tweet, face-book, etc, I'll email or often call who ever I want to contact !
Mom never had to yell "dinner" twice in our house. If you didn't get there the 1st time, there might not be anything left.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Also more often if I have something to say to you I'll tell you to your face.

Funnily enough when today's get together they frequently ignore each other in order to indulge in their masturbatory cell phone/social media addiction(s). Often even when next to the person(s) they're with they'll still text each other while rarely making or maintaining eye contact. Honestly to me it's kind of frightening to watch.

Reaction Score

I'm hardly tech savvy but my best guess is that Snapchat, Instagram and some others are more private.......... the sender decides who's allowed to view the posts...........while twitter can also be private, most folks leave twitter as an open site where all can see unless the sender bans an individual from seeing each message..........feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this

Reaction Score
After an exhaustive number of interviews for a high level job, the candidate, in the final interview before being offered the job, asked, "What's your sign?" That was the end for that candidate. Simple words sometimes lead to devastating results.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom