Choose 1 player from the past Uconn teams to make the current team a Final Four Contender | The Boneyard

Choose 1 player from the past Uconn teams to make the current team a Final Four Contender

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Kemba Walker. Other guys could watch him and we could still win. My second choice would be Okafor.

Reaction Score
I feel like it'd have to be either a great shooter/lock down defender at the 3/4 spot, or a strong 5. And I think we need a strong 5 more. Larrier should be filling the spot of a Ray Allen, Rudy Gay, etc.. So then I'd go Okafor junior year for the 5.

If you're going to go with the lock down defender/shooter, then Giffey is the player I think every team needs to win a title. But the players we have just have to understand what it means to play in service of the team, and they can become Giffey. You can't learn how to be Okafor.

Reaction Score
Ray (because you said pick one, and he's the best) but Rashad or Ben Garden would work too.

Basically, any of our best 3 point shooters would completely change the way you defend this team. A lineup of Gilbert, Adams, Ray, Larrier, and take your pick at the 5 would be really tough to beat.

Reaction Score
Ray ... and Calhoun. That's not meant as a dig on Ollie, but this team seems like one that JC could do great things with (including the current bigs). Without JC, I'd say Emeka.

Reaction Score
It would have to be a Knockdown shooter.

Ray, Ben or Albie.

August it ain't been that long.

At least give Two Time Champ Giff a shout out here. He didn't have to be a/the star, could run the floor, had lock down D, exhibits leadership, calming influence and does not disrupt team chemistry. Above the others he had the intangibles.

Reaction Score
Obviously any great player would help this team, but what this team needs is not a great player who takes playing time from the best players we currently have. We have 3 guys who can play the point. As great as kemba is, that's not the number 1 need. As great as Ray Allen or Rip would be, that's not the #1 need.

We need a big. Either Okafor or Donyell would be the answer to the question. There is no question for which Okafor is a possible answer for which Thabeet actually is the answer (and that's not a knock on Thabeet -- he's just not 'Mek).

Reaction Score
August it ain't been that long.

At least give Two Time Champ Giff a shout out here. He didn't have to be a/the star, could run the floor, had lock down D, exhibits leadership, calming influence and does not disrupt team chemistry. Above the others he had the intangibles.

This irks me. We are friggin UConn. If you get to supplement a team with one alumni, you don't go for a damn role player, even if it's an outstanding role player like Giffey. You get to supplement your team from a plethora of guys who were legitimate All Americans. Donyell, Ray, Rip, Okafor, Gordon, Kemba and Bazz. Those weren't our only great players. Those were are legitimate candidates for national POY.

Reaction Score
Amazes me to this day K was whining for a call when Redick came up short on the 3 at 78-75. There was nothing there whatsoever.

As far as taking someone it would be Doug Wrenn. He'd steal the show.

Reaction Score
This irks me. We are friggin UConn. If you get to supplement a team with one alumni, you don't go for a damn role player, even if it's an outstanding role player like Giffey. You get to supplement your team from a plethora of guys who were legitimate All Americans. Donyell, Ray, Rip, Okafor, Gordon, Kemba and Bazz. Those weren't our only great players. Those were are legitimate candidates for national POY.
No need to be irked, a shout out is not a selection. The point is if you are going to name Albie then I say at least put Giff in there. My pick is Okafor by the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom