Chong isn't going anywhere! | The Boneyard

Chong isn't going anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
though very good news, no surprise.

but this is weird:
If two guard positions open up, it will likely be a three-way battle between Gabby Williams (started 12 of 38 games), Napheesa Collier (started nine of 38 games) and Chong, who started three of the 33 games she played in, despite injury.

Napheesa is not playing guard....

Reaction Score
Had no idea people thought Chong would transfer. I've never thought that. Plus she's a senior, seems to enjoy being at UConn, likes her teammates (she's closest with TLaw), and is close to home. I always got the sense that she didn't care when she got in the game and was a team player. I think her biggest issue is lack of consistent focus. When she's on, she's on. When she loses focus for a minute she gets beat on defense which no doubt ticks off Geno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like the tone of the article and the grit of Saniya but there is a big miss at the end when the author states "If two guard positions open up, it will likely be a three-way battle between Gabby Williams (started 12 of 38 games), Napheesa Collier (started nine of 38 games) and Chong, who started three of the 33 games she played in, despite injury."
Gabby and Napheesa are forwards and one Miss Dangerfield is on her way to campus.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Though I've seen Napheesa listed as a Guard/Forward, I think that's an error. I don't see her playing guard. Maybe Gabby will play Guard--or not.

I do expect to see Lou play inside more. My assignment for her over the summer is to develop the Stewie jump hook.

As for Saniya, I hope she is healthy and confident. I think she can do a nice job as a SG. I'm less comfortable with her at the PG slot.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

but this is weird:
If two guard positions open up, it will likely be a three-way battle between Gabby Williams (started 12 of 38 games), Napheesa Collier (started nine of 38 games) and Chong, who started three of the 33 games she played in, despite injury.

That IS weird, as you and Coco point out, but Michelle Smith made the same gaffe when she wrote her article entitled "Connecticut has a tough legacy to follow". Her quote: "She will join a lineup of experienced players that will include juniors-to-be Kia Nurse and Williams, who is in line to become a starter for the first time in her career at guard, and sophomore guard Napheesa Collier. "

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Had no idea people thought Chong would transfer. I've never thought that. Plus she's a senior, seems to enjoy being at UConn, likes her teammates (she's closest with TLaw), and is close to home. I always got the sense that she didn't care when she got in the game and was a team player. I think her biggest issue is lack of consistent focus. When she's on, she's on. When she loses focus for a minute she gets beat on defense which no doubt ticks off Geno.
I believe the primary architect of that ill advised concept (Saniya & Courtney transferring) no longer post here- thankfully!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That IS weird, as you and Coco point out, but Michelle Smith made the same gaffe when she wrote her article entitled "Connecticut has a tough legacy to follow". Her quote: "She will join a lineup of experienced players that will include juniors-to-be Kia Nurse and Williams, who is in line to become a starter for the first time in her career at guard, and sophomore guard Napheesa Collier. "
Lazy journalism in both cases. Sure enough the UCONN website list Gabby as a Guard and Napheesa & KLS as G/F.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: Official Women's Basketball Roster :: University of Connecticut Huskies Official Athletic Site :: Women's Basketball

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's great news. The last thing Geno needed was another defection (ala Breanna Banks after her junior year). I must admit, that thought did cross my mind, but there was no way I was going to broach that subject until someone else brought it up, lest I be accused of sedition. I was curious, but not THAT curious. I'm delighted she's staying, and honoring her commitment to Geno, her teammates and the university. Whether she starts or comes off the bench, Saniya will be a valued commodity next year. Being the only senior on the team next year, she will be the elder statesman, and undoubtedly be expected to provide some degree of leadership to the underclassmen. I expect her to get considerable playing time next season. I'm sure she'll be ready when the starter's pistol goes off in October to help her team any way she can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really feel sorry for Chong. She has the talent and speed. She needs confidence.
May be too much pressure from the 3 senior AA in the team. Wish she can become a real Chong in her senior year. I really love this quiet, shy and low profile lady.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

When you've experienced 3 defections in 3 years, the thought of a player leaving is not beyond belief. Breanna Banks left after her junior year for Penn St., Last year, Sadie Edwards left for the University of Southern California during the Christmas break of her freshman year, and freshman De'Janae Boykin followed suit and transferred to Penn State during the Christmas break this season.

So yes, A UConn player(s) going over the wall at the end of the season was not unimaginable. Unexpected, but not unimaginable.

Reaction Score

but this is weird:

I agree that she will mostly play forward on next year's team, but she did have a lot of minutes at the three this past season, which in Geno's system is considered to be a guard. He even mentioned that fact in several interviews before the final game, stating unequivocally that he has used three guards for his entire 30-year coaching career and therefore would be playing Stewie at the three because of Lou's absence. Next season, there will be plenty of situations where Napheesa moves from the four to the three, thus becoming a guard.

Nevertheless, the premise by the author that Chong would be competing with Gabby and Napheesa is totally ridiculous. She is a two guard and is unlikely to ever play any other position other than during the final minutes of a blowout. Gabby and Napheesa will be getting their minutes at the four and three, with an outside chance that Napheesa actually plays the one if Chong ends up starting instead of Butler. That would be a very, very small lineup, but also an incredibly quick one. In that scenario, one might also see a lot of matchup zone, with Lou in the middle, Napheesa and Gabby on the wings and Nurse and Chong/Dangerfield on top. I don't think that anyone should automatically assume that Lou couldn't handle the five on defense; she is an incredibly hard worker and highly motivated to do whatever is asked of her. Of course the ideal scenario is for Natalie to step up in a major way, but if that doesn't happen there are certainly other totally viable options.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Right. Picture a team, with small guards, putting a full court press on Uconn. You don't want to see Collier+Williams handling the ball in the back court. As another poster said, Chong needs to concentrate more, and do it 100% of the time that she is on the court.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Though I've seen Napheesa listed as a Guard/Forward, I think that's an error. I don't see her playing guard. Maybe Gabby will play Guard--or not.

I do expect to see Lou play inside more. My assignment for her over the summer is to develop the Stewie jump hook.

As for Saniya, I hope she is healthy and confident. I think she can do a nice job as a SG. I'm less comfortable with her at the PG slot.
I think Lou needs to develop better footwork inside as well more variety driving to the hoop, left to right, right to left and straight at it. Combine better interior foot work with better upper and lower body strength and she'll be very tough. Clearly Lou is one tough cookie, far tougher than we or may even she thought she was. But as I said early on when she arrived, Lou WILL play more inside as time goes on. She will be required to cover 3's, 4's and occasionally 5's inside as well as 2's and 1's on the perimeter. It's this versatility that Geno will take advantage of. It's this versatility that will make her an early consideration for AA as well.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Enjoyed the article. Glad she is happy. I think the team is all set at forward and SG. Aside from general health, the two biggest success factors will be if Ms. Butler can make a Charles/Dolson-like transformation and how quickly Ms. Dangerfield does as PG. Natalie can do it though we have to wait and see if will do it. And, it will be a tall order for Crystal.

Sure, Saniya has a chance at meaningful minutes next year. I am rooting for her. Always love to see players who sometimes struggle then work their way to success. Just like Kiah.

Reaction Score
That's great news. The last thing Geno needed was another defection (ala Breanna Banks after her junior year). I must admit, that thought did cross my mind, but there was no way I was going to broach that subject until someone else brought it up, lest I be accused of sedition. I was curious, but not THAT curious. I'm delighted she's staying, and honoring her commitment to Geno, her teammates and the university. Whether she starts or comes off the bench, Saniya will be a valued commodity next year. Being the only senior on the team next year, she will be the elder statesman, and undoubtedly be expected to provide some degree of leadership to the underclassmen. I expect her to get considerable playing time next season. I'm sure she'll be ready when the starter's pistol goes off in October to help her team any way she can.
Are you forgetting the other senior? TLaw

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Y'know, Saniya, despite fighting health issues, averaged about 12.5 minutes per game. Last year, when healthier, she averaged 19, I believe. There's been a few starts scattered in there, too.

When you're part of teams that are being considered as the two most powerful college basketball teams ever, that ain't so bad.
When you look at the players on these teams that get more minutes - All Americans, Olympian/National team players, current-and-soon-to-be WNBA players - that ain't so bad.
When you look at the wonderful experiences and wonderful people you get to spend your time with - that ain't so bad.

I could go on, but, you get the idea. We tend to fixate on starters, and can be very quick to point out deficiencies in players who don't play ahead of the aforementioned roster of AA's, etc. Just because a kid doesn't start at UConn, doesn't mean they're chopped liver - and a kid who averages double-digit minutes, I would contend, is definitely not chopped liver.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Couple of things. First, now that the Holy Trinity is gone, and it's been 5 days since glorious #11, I'm ready to sit back and start taking stock of next season. Having said that, I have always LOVED Chong. I think all UCONN fans are rooting for her big time. I know that many of us have questioned why she doesn't get more PT, but then you watch her on the floor in the first half of the NC game, and sort of go "Oh... ok I sort of get it now".

BUT... “We’re a family,” Chong said. “It doesn’t matter about playing time or whatever. It’s because we all have each other’s back, we all support each other — no matter what — and just, the family, the bond that we’ve created, I love it.” How can you NOT love a kid with that attitude? I'm rooting for her so hard next year. I REALLY want to see her start - I'd LOVE to see a starting lineup with her out there - maybe Nurse, Chong, Williams, Samuelson, and Collier/Butler, but i'm not sure Collier can guard 6'5" post players like Morgan did. By her own admission, she "has no muscle".

I also agree with @iamcbs that Bent is HIGHLY under rated and she's going to surprise a lot of people. Maybe not UCONN fans, who have been hearing this for a while now, but when you consider she's a 3-star recruit per HG and not in their top 100, that's much lower than Engeln and I expect much greater things from Molly.

UNLESS Saniya can improve her PG skills (ie. initiate the offense - not just dribble the ball horizontally on the perimeter or make a pass 3 feet outside the arc), then there's no way she will be on the floor as the "main floor general". I have always seen her as more of a 2G or even a wing. Her speed and quickness as well as her ball handling skills and outside shot is better utilized as an off guard. I want to see her earn major minutes and average close to 10 PPG next season. I hope she gets there!!!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Y'know, Saniya, despite fighting health issues, averaged about 12.5 minutes per game. Last year, when healthier, she averaged 19, I believe. There's been a few starts scattered in there, too.
What you write is true. But Saniya played in 38 games in 2014-15, logging 723 minutes (2 starts). Last season she played in 33 games and logged 410 minutes (3 starts). That is not a promising trajectory heading into one's senior campaign, so I can see why some people were wondering if she was considering transferring, especially given the surplus of perimeter players on the team. The good news for Huskies' fans is that she is staying put. I'll be pulling for her to have a great a season next year, except for the 1 or 2 games against my team!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
What you write is true. But Saniya played in 38 games in 2014-15, logging 723 minutes (2 starts). Last season she played in 33 games and logged 410 minutes (3 starts). That is not a promising trajectory heading into one's senior campaign, so I can see why some people were wondering if she was considering transferring, especially given the surplus of perimeter players on the team. The good news for Huskies' fans is that she is staying put. I'll be pulling for her to have a great a season next year, except for the 1 or 2 games against my team!
She was hurt for half the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog