Chillious to ECU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chillious to ECU

Reaction Score
The two guys who did not get D1 jobs are Glen Miller and Ricky Moore. I am hoping Ricky gets one very soon. Glen Miller is D3 courtesy of Jim Calhoun.
Just curious. Many criticized the outing of Miller. Why didn't he get another job?

C

Chief00

Just curious. Many criticized the outing of Miller. Why didn't he get another job?

I am probably not the guy to answer that candidly due to history and those who felt I was unfair to him. Some believe a focus on designing a perfect class schedule is what recruiting should be about.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched plenty of FGCU. Dooley is a good, old fashioned, play hard, yell a lot basketball coach. He will work hard and get the kids to play hard. He won’t blow you away. This is where ECU becomes a middle of the road AAC team, not where they start contending. If they are challenging for a title, they’ll be cheating.

Honestly, FGCU is a pretty easy place to recruit to as far as lower D1 schools go. It is a newer campus with nice facilities, great weather—-particularly during the school year, lots of bars, restaurants, shopping, beaches etc. nearby and a lot more. The co-eds are top notch and there is even an on site beach. They have pool parties outside their dorms. Aside from that, the area is growing like crazy and as a result, graduates are offered surprisingly good jobs straight out of school since young talent is hard to find. FGCU athletes are treated very well and the fans actually fill the arena, which is very nice btw. Winning there is not hard in the ASun. Dooley did well, but he had the best situation in the conference.

Dooley has been passed over a million times because he is just above average, nothing more. We’ll probably see ECU hit 20 wins under Dooley once or twice, but that will be the high water mark unless Chill recruits him some elite guys. I don’t think that’s possible without serious payola going on at ECU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully between Dooley (who I like a lot) and Chillious they can recruit their way to respectability. If USF and ECU can be ~100 Kenpom teams it would be amazing for the conference overall.

Also, I hope we only have to worry about this for another five years.

ECU has a lot of potential to improve. Bringing Dooley back was a great move. No doubt Chilious's recruiting ability was a big factor. Plus he is knows the teams and travel in the AAC cities.
ECU wants to up their game. Good move by all parties. Once ECU starts winning the ticket sales should increase.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

Not many programs are looking to hire 50 something year old assistant coaches.

Reaction Score
Not many programs are looking to hire 50 something year old assistant coaches.

or head coaches in their 70's

upload_2018-4-28_20-27-52.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Some believe a focus on designing a perfect class schedule is what recruiting should be about.
Could it possibly be that some believe a class schedule is important and some don't? You bring this up all the time. It reminds me of Bad Stuff About the Mets.

C

Chief00

Why did Calhoun hire miller at st joes
My personal opinion is if Hurley was Coach the St Joe’s thing with Calhoun, never would have happened. KO shut him out of his basketball fix - Hurley values his input including player observations.
As for Miller - he needed a job - Calhoun tried to help him. Miller can do D3.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched plenty of FGCU. Dooley is a good, old fashioned, play hard, yell a lot basketball coach. He will work hard and get the kids to play hard. He won’t blow you away. This is where ECU becomes a middle of the road AAC team, not where they start contending. If they are challenging for a title, they’ll be cheating.

Honestly, FGCU is a pretty easy place to recruit to as far as lower D1 schools go. It is a newer campus with nice facilities, great weather—-particularly during the school year, lots of bars, restaurants, shopping, beaches etc. nearby and a lot more. The co-eds are top notch and there is even an on site beach. They have pool parties outside their dorms. Aside from that, the area is growing like crazy and as a result, graduates are offered surprisingly good jobs straight out of school since young talent is hard to find. FGCU athletes are treated very well and the fans actually fill the arena, which is very nice btw. Winning there is not hard in the ASun. Dooley did well, but he had the best situation in the conference.

Dooley has been passed over a million times because he is just above average, nothing more. We’ll probably see ECU hit 20 wins under Dooley once or twice, but that will be the high water mark unless Chill recruits him some elite guys. I don’t think that’s possible without serious payola going on at ECU.
Hoops? Do you live in Fort Myers/Estero? I moved back to CT in ‘15 after spending five years there. I’ve considered going back but other than Gartner, there weren’t many great career opps there. Has that changed? I was also concerned by how much the area and population was growing.

Reaction Score
Naples. It is growing a lot and there are other good employers now, Arthrex in particular. Due to the massive wealth, banking is a great industry here. We are also seeing quite a few tech startups, most of them started by people that already did one before, sold it and relocated here. There are good accounting firms, wealth managers, healthcare opportunities, construction, hospitality etc. Personally, I think it is an entrepreneur’s paradise.

However, I still spend a bout 6 weeks per year in Vermont with visits to CT and MA occasionally too. I like it here but I need the hills and trees as often as possible. I love North Florida (surprisingly hilly and pretty with big twisting oak trees) but we only head there occasionally due to the long drive. It’s easier to just fly up north. Being so far south is the worst thing about this location. You can’t just drive 3 hours and be somewhere a lot different, that takes 4-6 hours.

ECU

Reaction Score

FGCU is nice relative to the ASun but it still has 240ish ranked budget in a 30th-ish ranked conference. In his 4th year Dooley build a team with his own players good enough to have an 85 RPI. I don't think just an average coach exceeds his resources and conference situation that much.

When he was at ECU as a 30 year old in the CAA with a fraction of the resources we have now he had a 17-10..#97 RPI team that beat at St Joe's team that went to the Sweet 16 and finished 12th in the AP Poll. One of the players who played in the NBA missed 5 games costing a better season.

I think that's two pretty good examples of taking 2 low resource/ limited tradition schools to relative success. We have 120 type budget now in a top 7 conference, if he exceeds it similar to what he did at FGCU he should get us in the top 45 on NCAA bubble once every 5 years and have respectable mostly top 100 type teams you would think.

He had terrible injury luck his last year here that gave the AD the excuse he wanted to fire him. Dooley also had future national POY David West committed at the time and everyone coming back. It's a shame he didn't get to recruit in old CUSA, but exciting we get the prime coaching version in the AAC with Chillious to help pull players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Andy Enfield handed over a very healthy program coming off a Sweet 16 with all the hype you could possibly hope for. Dooley didn’t have to build anything there. ECU is a much bigger challenge.

ECU

Reaction Score
Andy Enfield handed over a very healthy program coming off a Sweet 16 with all the hype you could possibly hope for. Dooley didn’t have to build anything there. ECU is a much bigger challenge.

ECU pays almost 4 times as much in a conference pretty much 4 times as good. The resources aren't comparable obviously which is why he is at ECU again. The guy had options, if he didn't think he could win here he wouldn't be here, and he should know more than anyone having spent 8 years here already.

FGCU had a fluke run with a coach that couldn't get out quick enough. The team Dooley build 4 years later with is own players had better fundamentals like a higher RPI/ higher seeded team than the one Enfield got hot with. He has acquitted himself well and built on whatever he was given with is own players. Plenty of times the successor doesn't. You just fired Ollie, clearly a coach can derail a program when he has to get his own players.

Either way Washington had top 10 NBA talent in the nation while Chillious was there and he was big part of that. Thanks for letting a guy like that get away.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom