Chiefs00 Briefs - Temple Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chiefs00 Briefs - Temple Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Got home from a meeting tonight about 6:15, had a spontaneous urge to go watch the Huskies, and after getting an OK from the wife, rushed up to Storrs to take in the game. Arriving at 7:05, I was able to get a seat 6 rows behind the UConn bench for $15 (normally $44) from a scalper. This was only the 3rd game I've seen this season, but since I posted some observations after the other two games, figured I'd do the same for tonight's win:

- I first noticed only 2 players on the bench without their sweats on...looked like Hurley was going to use a short bench tonight. No one near me knew what was going on with Gilbert. The team played SMART in the first half, with only 1 player having more than 1 foul.

- A lot of us here on the Boneyard, me included, are often critical of Vital's decision making on the offensive end. But having such good seats tonight gave me a new appreciation for his hustle, anticipation, and effort on the defensive end. He's fighting against guys that are half a foot taller than he is, winning the rebounding battle (10 boards tonight!) and with 4 steals tonight, his average of 2.45 is tied for 12th in the country! His 89.8% free throw pct is also 12th in the country.

- Gaffney's going to be a real nice player for us, but he has got to pay attention to the shot clock. Twice in the second half, the Huskies had an inbounds play with 7 seconds left on the clock, yet he and the other players on the court were oblivious to it. SOMEONE has to be yelling from the bench to watch the shot clock.

- We haven't had many players who could dunk these past few years, and I had forgotten what an impact it makes in the building. Even though we were up by about 20 when Bouknight had his highlight reel slam, it electrified the crowd. Akok's dunk was also a beauty.

- Carlton had a nice game; I was a bit surprised that he sat the last 10 minutes or so.

- The free throw shooting was amazing, 28 for 30 for 93.3%. With everyone playing more minutes than normal, I would've expected tired legs causing poorer shooting. That helped overcome the struggles from the field tonight.

I will echo Chief's sentiment that we should all try to get to as many games as possible. It was a great atmosphere tonight. You might get as lucky as I did tonight:

View attachment 50420

15$ for those seats? Not bad my man.

Reaction Score
Since I switched time zones just a few days after the UNH game I have not had a heck of a lot of time to watch these guys, aside from the noon starts on the weekends. Otherwise it feels like I am waking up to one heart-breaker after another, not a nice way to start the day. SO it feels nice to finally wake up and see a victory and a convincing one at that upon turning off my phone alarm!

Hoping for more starts between noon and 2pm for my own sake!

Congrats to the Huskies, seems they played well short handed and despite some tough shooting from the guards! Lets see if this adds a little bit of confidence before a tough road trip at Memphis and, hopefully, some revenge at Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Since I switched time zones just a few days after the UNH game I have not had a heck of a lot of time to watch these guys, aside from the noon starts on the weekends. Otherwise it feels like I am waking up to one heart-breaker after another, not a nice way to start the day. SO it feels nice to finally wake up and see a victory and a convincing one at that upon turning off my phone alarm!

Hoping for more starts between noon and 2pm for my own sake!

Congrats to the Huskies, seems they played well short handed and despite some tough shooting from the guards! Lets see if this adds a little bit of confidence before a tough road trip at Memphis and, hopefully, some revenge at Tulsa.

Where are you living now? Did you end up teaching again or find a diff career like you posted about last summer?

pj

Reaction Score
I am actually blocked from the men’s basketball forum for some reason - only a back door cut gives me access to post.

Probably you just clicked Ignore on the forum - a few others had that problem. Unignore it and it will come back.

C

Chief00

Got home from a meeting tonight about 6:15, had a spontaneous urge to go watch the Huskies, and after getting an OK from the wife, rushed up to Storrs to take in the game. Arriving at 7:05, I was able to get a seat 6 rows behind the UConn bench for $15 (normally $44) from a scalper. This was only the 3rd game I've seen this season, but since I posted some observations after the other two games, figured I'd do the same for tonight's win:

- I first noticed only 2 players on the bench without their sweats on...looked like Hurley was going to use a short bench tonight. No one near me knew what was going on with Gilbert. The team played SMART in the first half, with only 1 player having more than 1 foul.

- A lot of us here on the Boneyard, me included, are often critical of Vital's decision making on the offensive end. But having such good seats tonight gave me a new appreciation for his hustle, anticipation, and effort on the defensive end. He's fighting against guys that are half a foot taller than he is, winning the rebounding battle (10 boards tonight!) and with 4 steals tonight, his average of 2.45 is tied for 12th in the country! His 89.8% free throw pct is also 12th in the country.

- Gaffney's going to be a real nice player for us, but he has got to pay attention to the shot clock. Twice in the second half, the Huskies had an inbounds play with 7 seconds left on the clock, yet he and the other players on the court were oblivious to it. SOMEONE has to be yelling from the bench to watch the shot clock.

- We haven't had many players who could dunk these past few years, and I had forgotten what an impact it makes in the building. Even though we were up by about 20 when Bouknight had his highlight reel slam, it electrified the crowd. Akok's dunk was also a beauty.

- Carlton had a nice game; I was a bit surprised that he sat the last 10 minutes or so.

- The free throw shooting was amazing, 28 for 30 for 93.3%. With everyone playing more minutes than normal, I would've expected tired legs causing poorer shooting. That helped overcome the struggles from the field tonight.

I will echo Chief's sentiment that we should all try to get to as many games as possible. It was a great atmosphere tonight. You might get as lucky as I did tonight:

View attachment 50420
Great post. Calhoun use to say the easiest way to improve foul shooting is having the right guys get fouled. When the ball moves like it did that tends to happen. I also agree with your CV comments. The kid just is sick of losing and wants to win so bad. Thanks for attending the game. The effort is appreciated.

C

Chief00

I call bullsh^t.

Either you're really old or that coach is the oldest man in the world. And he is in fact a legend.

Published 11/11/1958.

You obviously read the book too so I'll let you tell the rest of the BY what page that quote appears on and who said it.

A strange take. A HOF coach did tell me that and many coaches might say that. The fact that it’s also mentioned in this book doesn’t surprise me - you could probably Google search some version of what he told me and get many hits. I just choose to reference what someone directly told me.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Chief purposeful did not mention AG in his OP. It should be about the guys lacing up.

Chief warned everyone on Sunday the broom was out. As you can see, the starting lineup changed And the way we played. We all need self awareness and the ability to process feedback. Chief wishes everyone the best.
So broom out means a change in the starting lineup??

Reaction Score

View attachment 50420
I spy @microfich

Reaction Score
Great post. Calhoun use to say the easiest way to improve foul shooting is having the right guys get fouled. When the ball moves like it did that tends to happen. I also agree with your CV comments. The kid just is sick of losing and wants to win so bad. Thanks for attending the game. The effort is appreciated.

Not only having the right guys fouled, but a lot of times it seems like FT shooting is contagious. When the rest of the team is locked in at the line, you might focus just a little more. And the result of all those makes likely adds confidence.

I can't imagine how deflating it must have been in the Houston game (I think, or maybe WSU) when Gilbert missed all of those free throws.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

View attachment 50420

Had a similar view in Charleston. It does change you perception of some things for sure. I need to get down to Gampel for a weekend game soon, if we have any left.

Reaction Score
Gaff played well, but he needs to prove to me he can break down a good defender before I throw him starter minutes. His tendency to turn his back to the defender shows weakness/lack of confidence
He is getting starter minutes for the foreseeable future. He played really well. In control. Even made some shots. Now we have to see if this is a real thing or a combination of factors that won’t be repeated.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Quit baiting. It means that Hurley's patience with some players has run out. Under my own interpretation, based on no information other than what Hurley has said, it means that some players who could otherwise be back next year, won't be back. The fact that he keeps saying he's aggressively recruiting for more than one spot this spring, while we have zero open scholarships is a pretty clear indication. But the rules of this site don't allow us to speculate on individual potential transfers.
You forgot to mention APR...

Reaction Score
The guy who looked like a new man was Carlton. He scored rebounded. All around solid game. This team looked much more focused last night It happens sometimes when a team is really short handed. Some guys play over their heads. We will see if that is the case or if this team has at long last turned a corner. Let’s hope it is the latter.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I call bullsh^t.

Either you're really old or that coach is the oldest man in the world. And he is in fact a legend.

Published 11/11/1958.

You obviously read the book too so I'll let you tell the rest of the BY what page that quote appears on and who said it.

Coach Reeves said it too. Remember when he threw the bullet pass toward the opposite side of the gym as Hayward was dribbling downcourt?

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
The guy who looked like a new man was Carlton. He scored rebounded. All around solid game. This team looked much more focused last night It happens sometimes when a team is really short handed. Some guys play over their heads. We will see if that is the case or if this team has at long last turned a corner. Let’s hope it is the latter.
Yup. Love Hurley's reactions when Carlton goes up strong. He's really trying to motivate him and would not be surprised if he continues trending in the right direction and breaks out of his little slump.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
A strange take. A HOF coach did tell me that and many coaches might say that. The fact that it’s also mentioned in this book doesn’t surprise me - you could probably Google search some version of what he told me and get many hits. I just choose to reference what someone directly told me.
My high school coach told me that and he was not tht on top of things :confused:

C

Chief00

Every year I think they are going to figure it out and every year I'm disappointed.
It’s amazing - somebody is not earning their paycheck. Especially with seat donations, they need to understand their customers better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom